A scary thing happened on the way to the Movie Forums - Horrorcrammers

Tools    

Aw man, JJ going after Saint Maud and Impavido ranting about Vast of Night on Facebook... bad day for recent movies I highly enjoyed.

Yeah, I don't know how incisive or cutting Saint Maud is, I just happened to gel to the filmmaking and the lead performance.
I guess I need to know what your opinion is on What the Waters Left Behind. Mainly, for purposes to see if my rants about it will continue or end the trend.

If you've ever woken the morning after garbage night with the gnawing terror that something otherwordly has dented your trashcans, then have I got the movie for you. Because not only will there be dents, what a mess the Milpitas Monster leaves behind. Candy wrappers and old tin cans all over your drive way. Even a grandpa with tattooed arms is not tough enough to take matters into his own hands. He must do his civic duty and become a city hall crank. Demand an answer to what happened to his trashcans. Come up with a chant. Demand government intervention. Feel entirely despondent when nothing can be done beyond contact some scientist who has invented a monster detector.

So, in short, an allegory of our times. And a befittingly terrible movie.

I guess I need to know what your opinion is on What the Waters Left Behind. Mainly, for purposes to see if my rants about it will continue or end the trend.
Can't help you there, I ain't seen it.

the reviews for that one are pretty wretched so I think you're safe from ridicule if you hated it.

Hated it.
But I was on an island.
I'm assuming there were no alligators on this island. Or even killer crocodiles.

I was hoping that Crawl would be above-average and instead thought it was thoroughly average. I was disappointed at how repetitive many parts of it felt.

*banishes Takoma to Wooley's gator-and-croc-free island*
For the record, they've been banished to the Caiman Islands.

*banishes Takoma to Wooley's gator-and-croc-free island*
Oh don't listen to ol' Rock.

Victim of The Night
I was hoping that Crawl would be above-average and instead thought it was thoroughly average. I was disappointed at how repetitive many parts of it felt.
I found it frustratingly below average.
I think the word I used was "stupid".
Not because Alligator Horror Movies are stupid, Alligator Horror Movies are awesome, inherently, until they are actually made, like this one, which was stupid.

Victim of The Night
Anybody watched this Folklore business yet?
I watched the first episode, "A Mother's Love", and I have to say I was pretty happy with it. I thought it was pretty cinematic. Not revelatory but very solid, I thought.

the reviews for that one are pretty wretched so I think you're safe from ridicule if you hated it.
Let the record show that I hated it.

Witchfinder General -

This '60s British horror movie about 17th century witchfinder Hopkins (Vincent Price) and assistant Stearn (Robert Russell), who cross the wrong soldier, Marshall (Ian Ogilvy), is as terrifying as it is maddening (that is an endorsement, trust me). Price and Russell make Hopkins and Stearn into a most hateable bully and toady pairing. Watching them burn, hang or drown their marks based on specious or no evidence as well as have their way with them first made me seethe in the best way. Luckily, Ogilvy makes Marshall's quest to bring them to justice a thrill to watch, although Price and Russell also deserve credit for not making it an easy one for him to complete. I also appreciate the period accuracy in everything from the costumes to the combination of sets and real locations, and not to spoil the ending too much, but wow, does that scream linger and say all that needs to be said or what? While I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, it sure made me angry, not just for what Hopkins and Stearn get away with, but also for what it says about the brutality of our species from those in charge abusing their authority to subjugating and denying rights and basic decency to women, those who don't practice the majority religion, etc. It's a good thing we've solved those problems...right?

Witchfinder General -

This '60s British horror movie about 17th century witchfinder Hopkins (Vincent Price) and assistant Stearn (Robert Russell), who cross the wrong soldier, Marshall (Ian Ogilvy), is as terrifying as it is maddening (that is an endorsement, trust me). Price and Russell make Hopkins and Stearn into a most hateable bully and toady pairing. Watching them burn, hang or drown their marks based on specious or no evidence as well as have their way with them first made me seethe in the best way. Luckily, Ogilvy makes Marshall's quest to bring them to justice a thrill to watch, although Price and Russell also deserve credit for not making it an easy one for him to complete. I also appreciate the period accuracy in everything from the costumes to the combination of sets and real locations, and not to spoil the ending too much, but wow, does that scream linger and say all that needs to be said or what? While I enjoyed the movie quite a bit, it sure made me angry, not just for what Hopkins and Stearn get away with, but also for what it says about the brutality of our species from those in charge abusing their authority to subjugating and denying rights and basic decency to women, those who don't practice the majority religion, etc. It's a good thing we've solved those problems...right?
Big fan of this one but I had the misfortune of watching it the same day as TWINS OF EVIL, in which Peter Cushing plays a very similar role to Price and CRUSHES it (more like Peter Crushing, amirite?).

I love Price as well, don’t get me wrong, but Cushing is so much better suited for such a role and communicates that rigidity through his presence and cadence that makes the role uncomfortable to watch. Price is more suited to the oddballs of Corman’s Poe flicks.

Still, the movie itself is dang groovy and Price is still giving it his all, which is always worth seeing.

Big fan of this one but I had the misfortune of watching it the same day as TWINS OF EVIL, in which Peter Cushing plays a very similar role to Price and CRUSHES it (more like Peter Crushing, amirite?).

I love Price as well, don’t get me wrong, but Cushing is so much better suited for such a role and communicates that rigidity through his presence and cadence that makes the role uncomfortable to watch. Price is more suited to the oddballs of Corman’s Poe flicks.

Still, the movie itself is dang groovy and Price is still giving it his all, which is always worth seeing.
Most of the Price movies I've seen are his horror comedies like Theater of Blood, Comedy of Terrors, The Raven, etc., which I like, but it was nice to see him play a more serious role for a change. Still, Cushing would have been very right for that part. I imagine he would have been a lot like Frollo in The Hunchback from Notre Dame. I also wouldn't have minded seeing Donald Pleasance play Hopkins, especially since the director wanted him originally.