How do you pick your top ten movies of all time?

Tools    

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
Do you go for directing and filmmaking style, or do you go for story and subject matter?

I made a top ten films of all time, along with my friend, and he asked, how come you never picked any from your favorite director's like Sergio Leone, or Akira Kurosawa?

Well even though I love those directors styles, they don't often choose the types of scripts I like the very most though.

Coming up with a top ten of all time is hard cause there are so many to pick from. Here's sort of a ballpark but I keep changing my mind. What do you think?

10. Malcolm X (1992)
9. Cell 211 (2009)
8. This Film Is Not Yet Rated (2006)
7. Parasite (2019)
6. 12 Angry Men (1957)
5. Terminator 2: Judgment Day (1991)
4. Sicko (2007)
3. The Battle of Algiers (1966)
2. Slumdog Millionaire (2008)
1. The Skin I Live In (2011)

Or should I be picking based on favorite directors, rather than favorite scripts?

I just say if the movie touched me. That is why I say Shawshank is the best movie ever made by the hooman race. It spoke to me, and made me the man I am today.

Yep The Shawshank Redemption is really good too. Perhaps I have just seen it too many times, but maybe with another rewatch, I will re-evaluate it. But still very good though.

I have done it 150+. Whenever I feel low, pour a glass of whiskey or scotch (it has to be yellow, clear stuff is sh*t ) and turn it on! By the end, I am happy again! It's not a romantic movie, but it did get be out of my bad breakup!

You mean me? Kei's cousin?
Replay value has a lot to do with it for me. If I can see a movie 10, 20, 30 times without getting tired of it, I know it's an all-time favorite.

Kurasawa, I would have Rashomon in my top XI. A perfect insight into human nature. Schindler's list too. Jagten maybe. I am not really good at making top lists. But these do come to mind.

More or less, based on true stories, detective (grew up with Sherlock, Marple, Poirot etc), legal stuff and on raw human nature just would make up my list. Don't care much about CGI, grand epics (Star Wars, Avengers etc).

XI... Watching too much football recently.

Schindler's List and Rashomon are both really good. I almost put Schindler's List on my top 10 but as far as true story epic movies go, perhaps Malcolm X just takes the edge by a little for me, but very close.

But Schindler's List was better made, filmmaking style wise for sure.

Replay value has a lot to do with it for me. If I can see a movie 10, 20, 30 times without getting tired of it, I know it's an all-time favorite.
That's kind of how I feel about putting Terminator 2 on my list cause even though it's an action fantasy where the plot is not exactly a mindblowing drama, it has a lot of rewatch value for me.

Give Jagten a try if you haven't, it might run your list close! Basically the movie is about are you ever really "not guilty". That is all I can say without giving away much detail.

Okay thanks. Jagten looks good when I looked it up. Never heard of it but will check it out!

Di je Karlo?
It's a personal list, so I just pick the movies I have the fondest memories of. All the movies on my top 10 have some personal story or sentiment behind them.
If you mean "how to make the top 10 objectively best movies of all time" list, it's a little more complicated. What constitutes an objectively good movie is vague. You can't say exactly if Dr. Stangelove should be above or below Marketa Lazarova, but you at least know they should both be considered.

It could also mean "the top 10 movies I recommend the most". In that case, I pick out movies that, for one reason or another, just deserve to be seen. Even if they didn't click with me personally. Some of them did (North by Northwest, Fight Club...), some of them didn't (Seven Samurai, There will be Blood...)

Legend in my own mind
I pick the ones that I have enjoyed the most.

The problem is that the order and sometimes the films would change depending on what comes to mind when you ask me. 5 or 6 would always be in my top 10 though.

This site caused me to be definitive in my profile, but those 10 would always be in the running, although I swapped Robocop in for Ferris Bueller this very day.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I don't really pick my "top ten movies of all time". I just pick my "top ten favorite movies right now". They're usually just movies that I love, and in some cases movies that I rewatch a lot, but my top ten favorite movies tend to change based on my mood.

I don't change my top ten on my profile very often just because I'm too lazy to change them, but I could probably change a few of them every week, but the movies that I take out would probably eventually rotate back into my top ten again.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right

My #1 movie of all time.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Oh okay. The ones I keep reconsidering are the last three, cause I also like movies like Schindler's List, The Great Silence, For A Few Dollars More, and Singin' in the Rain as well.

So it's tough to decide.

Do you go for directing and filmmaking style, or do you go for story and subject matter?
I just picked up the movies that were the strongest/most memorable experiences I had while watching them. Just that.

I think of the ten films I like the most and enjoy watching the most. Then I put them on the list. Or I did.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Rewatch ability.

My top 10 would be full of films you can watch every couple of years.