Greatest Movie of All Time?

Tools    

Kane is a rather trenchant amalgamation of prior cinematic innovations and movements and enough innovation within itself to have some objective merit as "the greatest."

My vote, however, usually goes to 2001. I've always been blown away by sheer chutzpah of this film. Coming out in an age of Paint Your Wagon, Kubrick's film was a massive financial undertaking and risk. It was pure art house really. To tell the story of man's evolution, basically without much words or sound. Brazen. Also the fact that the narrative structure is way advanced. From bone to space ship, (dramatic cut in time), to Dave and the "next evolutionary stage," (which is essentially spoken as an 'unknown,' letting the audience decide ambiguously.) It also took influence from radical film makers like my idol Stan Brakhage, but took his concepts and made them more applicable to the mainstream tastes, (speaking of the Stargate Sequence.) And, (arguably), no real "key" narrative players. The film is a friggen beast when it comes to impact for me. I don't think anything like it was made for a mass audience of it's scale before, (and going on a limb here), but I'd say even after too. It's really a powerhouse work.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

If only someone, far wiser than I, could figure out how to combine "Favorite" and "Best Ever" into one universal rating accepted by all living humans, then we'd have an answer...at least for the moment, until some humans leave or enter the population.

Mine would have to combine the epic black and white characters of Casablanca with the outrageous colors, songs and performances of The Wizard of Oz, the brooding drama of The Godfather the cringe-worthy weirdness of Jo Jo Rabbit with the silliness of C.H.U.D. Throw in a cup full of epic seriousness like the first LOTR trilogy and you got yourself a hum-dinger of a movie. I'd probably even spend some money on popcorn.

What's the greatest film ever made? Some of the obvious choices are Citizen Kane and Gone with the Wind...I personally think It's A Wonderful Life probably fits the bill.

There are plenty of movies I *LOVE*, but only "It's A Wonderful Life" satisfies me as the greatest ever.
That just blows me away because I think It's a Wonderful Life is one of the most overrated movies of all time...it bores the crap out of me.

"It's A Wonderful Life" is excellent. Very powerful movie on several levels.

My list of some of the greatest movies would have to include (as it's impossible to narrow it down to one):
12 Monkeys
Godfather
Apocalypse Now
The Last Temptation of Christ (one of Scorsese's best)
Groundhog Day (similar, in a way, to "Wonderful Life")
Trainspotting
Contact
Braveheart
Sixth Sense

If you've never seen these, rent them!
Love the inclusion of Groundhog Day on your list...absolutely brilliant screenplay and a perfect performance by Bill Murray. If I made a list of most underrated movies, it would be ij the top five.

That just blows me away because I think It's a Wonderful Life is one of the most overrated movies of all time...it bores the crap out of me.
Eh, I wrote that over 20 years ago, FWIW. I wouldn't say it today. I do think it's a lovely film, though.

Probably something by one of the masters like Kalatazov, Ozu, Tarkovsky, Bresson, Truffaut, Lang, Kurosawa, Kieslowski or Bergman.

Narrowing down which one would be impossible though.

Aliens - A true Sci-Fi classic. Thanks, James Cameron

I really can't say what I personally feel is the greatest movie I've ever seen, as I don't like to pick #1 favorites, and every great film has some aspect that you just can't find in another, making it impossible to choose, but I am currently compiling a list of every review I've written for all my all-time favorites on Letterboxd, which, even though it's still pretty small and mainstream, I'm still pretty proud of it, as I always try to put 100% in every single thing I write there. Anyway, if you want to check it out, just check out the lists on my LB profile (which should either be listed under the name "StuSmallz" or "Andrew Buckley", with my avatar being the poster from Unforgiven), as I don't currently have enough post to share links here, unfortunately.

Sixth Sense

Moz's Favorite Movie List: The Shape of Water, The Prestige, The Great Gatsby, Interstellar, Mr. Nobody, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Avatar, The Black Swan, The Godfather

The Apu trilogy

The Human Condition trilogy

In terms of mainstream cinematic narrative: Citizen Kane and Godfather, I'd say.

It would be nice to think that after over a hundred years of film I would have more difficulty answering this, but it's easy as pie.

2001: A Space Odyssey

Second best is a much bigger head scratcher for me.

I don’t know! But I can tell you who some of my favorite storytellers are. David Lean, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, Alejandro Inarritu and Scorcese.
My vote for greatest of all time is Lawrence of Arabia. I never get tired of it.

My favorite three movies of all time are:

1. The Glass Menagerie (1973)
2. Stranger Than Fiction
3. Black Swan

The Big Lebowski. The Dude is my man!

The World According To Garp

It doesn't matter how old you are, your tastes, or how many movies you've seen, it will grab you.

Greatest movie of all time?

That's a hard question to answer. Do I pick from several films that I understand why they are "great", but I seldom if ever watch and have no real desire to do so, except maybe once every ten years? Or do I pick a film that I could watch once a week for the rest of my life, knowing that it isn't really a great movie and wouldn't make anybody's top 25 list?

It's much easier to pick a top 10, even easier a top 25, and very easy to pick a top 100.

It's like trying to pick your one favorite song/music of all time? I couldn't do it.

I dunno, there are so many Transformers movies to choose from...