Nouvelle Vague: The French New Wave

Tools    

So I was searching far and wide through the site and discovered no talk of the French New Wave! At least through the search tab. Any respectable film forum such as this one should have a page dedicated to this radical, historic movement in cinema. Many of you seem extremely knowledgeable in film and film history, so you may already know about this cinematic revolution. But for those of you who don't, here's a brief history.

Truffaut's Jules et Jim (left) and The 400 Blows

Starting in the mid-1950's the highly influential film magazine Cahiers du cinema revolutionized the way films were watched. The team of critics for the magazine was a veritable who's-who list of great French directors. Among them were Jean-Luc Godard, Francois Truffaut, Andre Bazin, Claude Chabrol, Eric Rohmer, Jean-Pierre Melville... the list goes on and on. Anyway, these critics reevaluated classic Hollywood films and found a new way of analyzing them-exclusively through the director.

Before this time, directors of course were mentioned, but hardly considered the most important player in a production-that was usually the producer. These French New Wave critics/directors saw something entirely different. Francois Truffaut, who essentially invented the auteur theory of film criticism, reevaluated the works of Hollywood directors working in the studio system, championing many of their works as true works of art and not just commercial products. This was a radical notion given the culture of grand productions and the Golden Age of Hollywood.

Jean Paul Belmondo and Jean Seberg in Breathless; Hiroshima Mon Amour

It was in this magazine that directors like Alfred Hitchcock, Nicholas Ray, and Howard Hawks were rediscovered for their artistic merit, and their unique individual styles in telling any story. In fact, for these iconoclasts of criticism, the story hardly mattered; what did matter was the style in which the director told it, how they made it their own.

So why is Cahiers du cinema relevant to any discussion on the French New Wave? Because without it, there would not have been one. When Truffaut, Chabrol, and Godard decided to stop criticizing movies and start making them, they applied their new take on film theory to their highly personal, often autobiographical films. And with those jarring, completely fresh jump-cuts in Breathless, and the existential yearnings of a delinquent French youth in The 400 Blows, the auteurs heralded a new movement.

What techniques in film did the movement introduce? Basically the entire film-making process was a radical shift from the norm. Shots were lingering and camera movement was much freer, often breaking conventional rules of filming methods. Largely improvised dialogue was popular, characters stepping outside a scene to directly address the audience started here, entire productions were treated as free-form jazz exercises, with directors improvising scenes, bouncing ideas off their equally radical DP's and actors.

In a time when French cinema, nearly all popular cinema, was formulaic and bound by story, these directors sought to breath new life into the medium by playing off audience expectations. Soon, the whole world caught on and a fresh batch of American directors were ready to display their distinct style in film-making. Focus shifted from finding the most lucid, logical way of relating a story to finding the most artistic way. The literal plot was important, but the symbolic use of camera techniques to explore a film's themes was paramount.

Well, this actually went on longer than I intended, sorry. I actually mean for this thread to be a place where people can talk about movies they've seen from the movement, ask questions about it, offer recommendations and talk about famous figures of that era.

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010

I haven't seen a whole lot, but what I've seen I enjoy very much. Of course Breathless is one of my top 10 films of all time. I enjoy the clever little nods to film noir and Belmondo's poising as if he looks up to and admires the hard boiled detectives played by Bogart, thinking he's some kind of tough guy when really he's a lowly car thief and now murderer. Seberg of course is beautiful as his girlfriend who grows and sees beyond his childish posturing.

I also love the film Weekend in all it's oddity. The silly gunplay, and attack on capitalism is interesting. Cannibalism is always fun to, and plenty has been said about the camera panning over the lengthy traffic jam, which is simply amazing to watch. Also Alphaville by Godard is great. What's the one with Jane Fonda where she is stuck in a factory or something? My memory is hazy.

Truffaut is probably the more straight foward in terms of storytelling between him and Godard. I think both 400 Blows and Jules and Jim, which you have pictured are amazing films. I enjoy his unique look at Fahrenheit 451. I think the film received criticism for not including the hounds, but as an adaptation it captures the essence of the novel beautifully. Another classic of his, that might not be seen as often is Day For Night, which is one of the top 10, if not top 5 films about filmmaking. I do admit that I'm not much of a fan of Shoot the Piano Player as it failed to hold my attention. I should probably watch it again.

You mentioned Claude Chabrol. I haven't seen a lot by him. The Road to Corinth is tolerable, but forgettable after you watch it. The Butcher on the other hand is a creepy masterpiece and very disturbing. I adore that film.

I'm pretty much the only Melville film I've seen is The Red Circle.

I should watch more. I was on a bit of kick between 2003-2006 on these French new wave films, and I probably would watch more had it not been for the interruption of videogames and a job.

Thanks for the post, and welcome to the site. I hope you make it a new home. Why do you like French New Wave? Any underrated classics I should check out?

I will say I enjoy the pop-culture references and the dialogue of course. It's no secrete that Quentin Tarantino, who I'm lukewarm toward, is greatly inspired by the film movement, even to the point of directly borrowing and going beyond homage.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

Don't get me wrong here, I love the French New Wave and it's artists, but for the most part I think it's overshadowed some of it's precursor movements. In some cases, it didn't really invent the wheel, so much as refined it. Truffaut was well known for this in particular, in Jules and Jim he borrows silent era techniques. In The 400 Blows, he takes from Jean Epstein in the final freeze frame sequence, (Le Tempestaire as an example). As far as Godard was concerned one only need note his mannerisms toward film and his personal life to see where his inspirations come from, (I'd hate to see Breathless or Contempt without modernist literature; according to Colin MacCabe, Godard was often quoted as reading a book whilst a movie was being screened). I have a lot of respect for the directors and their works that came out of that time period, but again much of their "innovations" had prior influence. This is all food for thought though, I just hope a discussion on such a vast topic would include due notice of this.
Imagine an eye unruled by man-made laws of perspective, an eye unprejudiced by compositional logic, an eye which does not respond to the name of everything but which must know each object encountered in life through an adventure of perception. How many colors are there in a field of grass to the crawling baby unaware of 'Green'?

-Stan Brakhage

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
Well the jump cuts from Godard in Breathless was one technique he used that came from him originally, although I believe by accident. But the whole point of the movement was to reference and critique filmmaking. Basically film as film essay. So of course it's using a lot of techniques that were developed far earlier such as the freeze frame which you mentioned. The many iris closing transitions in the films are also references to B-films and silent pictures.

Contempt is interesting because Godard got Fritz Lang aboard to basically play himself, and there's a billion and one film references in the movie.

As for modernist literature, I've heard of the term, but what does it mean? Literature written in the first part of the 20th century? It's such a broad category that it's less of a style of literature than a time period of literature in which common beliefs were being written about. In Breathless Jean Seberg asks Belmondo a questions from William Faulkner. I forget the quote.

The quote
Patricia: "Do you know William Faulkner?"
Michel: "No, who's he? Have you slept with him?"
-one of my favorite lines in the movie!

Yeah jump-cuts were a complete original with Breathless. The generally accepted story is that Godard needed to cut the film's running time, so Jean-Pierre Melville suggested he just take a completed scene, and cut moments in time to give the impression of an entire scene. The result turned out to be more profound than functional.

Modernism in literature was part of a larger movement throughout various fields in the arts, most clearly the visual arts. Much of Picasso's work, Mondrian, Duchamp, Dali, other people working in Surrealism... The term is almost too broad an umbrella term to have a definitive set of guidelines.

In literature, I would describe it as any work that consciously comments on the nature of writing itself, traditional styles of writing, radical shifts in basic narrative framework, stream of consciousness diatribes, and insights into character rather than story. Faulkner is considered a member of the modernist literature movement. As is T.S. Eliot, Ezra Pound, Brecht, Yeats, and a million other influential writers of the early 20th century.

I think Dog Star Man makes an astute observation in his comparison; New Wave cinema was essentially modernist cinema. It almost always directly addresses the nature of cinema through its use of very visible, deliberate techniques-for example jump-cuts disrupt the picture and make the viewer aware he's watching a movie. It often follows a stream-of-consciousness attitude-look at Breathless-it hardly ever has a set plot-400 Blows and Breathless are character studies in which the protagonists go through a series of events in which we study how they react to them. In the simplest sense, it's the use of traditional and sometimes newer styles in the medium in completely new ways to comment on the already established norms in the movement. In this sense, it's self-reflexive, self-aware cinema, in the same sense that modernist literature features non-traditional narratives and radical writing techniques.

Don't get me wrong here, I love the French New Wave and it's artists, but for the most part I think it's overshadowed some of it's precursor movements. In some cases, it didn't really invent the wheel, so much as refined it. Truffaut was well known for this in particular, in Jules and Jim he borrows silent era techniques. In The 400 Blows, he takes from Jean Epstein in the final freeze frame sequence, (Le Tempestaire as an example). .

You're completely right. I should have been clearer in saying that the vast majority of their work was a reference to earlier works. Indeed, the films are to be watched in relation to traditional works, as a comment on them. The innovation did not come so much in their invention of techniques, as their wholly original use of them. Everything was heightened to the point of exaggeration, until the focus of the film essentially was the camera itself.

They culled from film noir, Hollywood westerns and gangster pictures, and screwball comedies. The list goes on. But yeah, good to point that out, thanks for the comment.

Well the jump cuts from Godard in Breathless was one technique he used that came from him originally, although I believe by accident. But the whole point of the movement was to reference and critique filmmaking. Basically film as film essay. So of course it's using a lot of techniques that were developed far earlier such as the freeze frame which you mentioned. The many iris closing transitions in the films are also references to B-films and silent pictures.

Contempt is interesting because Godard got Fritz Lang aboard to basically play himself, and there's a billion and one film references in the movie.

As for modernist literature, I've heard of the term, but what does it mean? Literature written in the first part of the 20th century? It's such a broad category that it's less of a style of literature than a time period of literature in which common beliefs were being written about. In Breathless Jean Seberg asks Belmondo a questions from William Faulkner. I forget the quote.
Modernism in general could be stated as one of our more "philosophical" movements in art history. The idea is to question the very three philosophical codes of knowledge, conduct, and governance; which you can very much so see in Godard's work. I'd hesitate to say Godard is a philosopher of his time, but I will say he is a prodigal, (can't say that lightly), son of the modernist movement in this regard. Also, while Godard has due credit to the conception of jump cuts, I wonder many a night how Henri Langlois' "bathtub films" may have contributed to its inspiration upon "New Wave" directors. It's entirely possible in my mind, having owned several 1880-1910 films myself and witnessing what happens with films that degrade over that period, that film makers became aware of that "technique" even though it was accidental in nature. Speculation, yes, but still I wonder. The fact remains however, most of the film techniques we use today came from the silent era. Really we've been stuck in a rut in that regard, and I'm sorry, but 3-D glasses and giant smurfs ain't gonna cut it as an exit out.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
You should contribute to the Alain Resnais discussion here.
I may have posted this in the DVD thread [re: your purchase of Last Year at Marienbad] while you were starting this thread.

Oh, jump cuts are actually rampant in several silent films, even some of the "most-primitive".