Jape's Top 50 List Circa 2 years ago

→ in
Tools    

I wrote this list way back. It has changed alot! Here are the first 5

50. Keane
movie with Damian Lewis and Abigail Breslin.

49. Angela
Rebecca Miller's controvercial first film

48. I am a Sex Addict
another one I used to love then forgot about.

47. Uptown Girls
pure guilty pleasure

46. Palindromes
Solondz' best film until Life During Wartime

more later. This list really doesn't stand up

45. Birth
Nicole Kidman and a little boy who claims to be her dead hubby.

44. Sleeping Dogs Lie
A woman hooks up with her dog. Yep.

43. Sublime
Thriller where Tom Cavanaugh gets a leg amputated.

42. Tideland
Terry Gilliam's critically bashed fantasy starring Jodelle Ferland.

41. Unknown
A thinking man's "Saw"

40. Tweek City
My introduction to Giuseppe Andrews.

39. The Night Listener
Robin Williams was good in this little seen thriller

38. Idiocracy
Mike Judge film with Luke Wilson.

37. Danika
Marisa Tomei thriller

36. The Oh in Ohio
Parker Posey in a reimaging of "Deep Throat"... With Danny DeVito.

35. Little Children
Kate Winslet and a revelatory Jackie Earle Haley

34. Little Athens
a "young people at a party" movie

33. Edmond
William H. Macy in a shocking performance. Joe Mantenga says the N word.

32. London
Jason Statham in the dark comedy/romance with Chris Evans and Jessica Biel.

31. The King
Gael Garcia Bernal was very good as were Pell James and William Hurt.

30. Duane Hopwood
David Scwimmer.... What was I thinking?

More later....

Interesting list Jape. I haven't seen any of those!
LOL yeah.... When I eventually do my current list of my top 50 or 100 or so there will be alot more better known films.

I was a bit of a film snob back then but who isn't at 21?

29. The Dying Gaul
One of the few on this list that I still hold to high regards. Campbell Scott, Patricia Clarkson and Peter Sarsgaard at their best. One of the best movies about the film industry and better than Brokeback as a Gay movie too IMO

28. Nothing
Vincenzo Natali's least known film

27. Perception
Piper Perabo was never better. The film doesn't really hold up now though.

26. Nine Lives
Without a doubt, Dakota Fanning's best movie and she's only in the last 10 minutes.

25. The Chumscrubber
A dark satire with a great cast

24. Beautiful Girls
How could you not fall in love with Natalie Portman in this movie?

23. 200 Cigarettes
Elvis Costello alert! He has a cameo in this party movie

22. The Ballad of Jack and Rose
Daniel Day-Lewis is a great actor. Catherine Keener is pretty great too!

21. Bubble
Creepy doll factory thriller from Steven Soderburgh.

20. Crash
I don't know what I was thinking either....

19. Full Frontal
Another Soderburgh film. His most underrated IMO

18. Fronterz
Urban comedy.... Yeah....

17. Happy Endings
The movie in which I actually started to like Tom Arnold.

16. Down in the Valley
Ed Norton was teriffic in this.....

15. The Secret Lives of Dentists
Campbell Scott, Hope Davis and Denis Leary were very good in this.

14. My Big Fat Independent Movie
Love Chris Gore....

13. We Don't Live Here Anymore
Mark Ruffalo and Naomi Watts were great in this.

12. The Shape of Things
My favorite Neil Labute movie

11. Sorry, Haters
Robin Wright Penn. Awesome twist!

The top 10 are coming up....

Might as well do the top 10....

10. The Jacket
I still love this movie. Time Travel, romance, Keira Knightley... What's not to love?

9. Mail Order Wife
Last Exorcism writers Botko and Gurland were behind this gem.

8. Seeing Other People
Bryan Cranston with a British accent.

7. Pretty Persuasion

Evan Rachel Wood's best movie to date

6. Conversations with Other Women
Aaron Eckhart, Helena Bonham Carter, Split Screen

5. Go
Doug Liman's only good film?

4. Breaking and Entering
Jude Law in Minghella's last movie

3. Melvin goes to Dinner
A funnier, sexier My Dinner with Andre

2. Me and You and Everyone we Know
What is now my #1 was then 2. Such a beautiful and poetic movie!

1. Flannel Pajamas
Justin Kirk and Julianne Nicholson starred in this film that is probably a more comedic version of the upcoming Blue Valentine

Ok. Done

Discuss!

looking forward to comparing with the updated version. it's an interesting list, are these mostly newer films -- last 20 years or so?

these are the only ones i've seen:

20. Crash
The Cronenberg movie? I thought this was pretty funny -- Do you see Kennedy's assassination as a special kind of car crash?

6. Conversations with Other Women
I liked this one a lot, one of the better "two people talking" movies out there.

3. Melvin goes to Dinner
I like My Dinner With Andre a good deal more than this. To my mind they're quite a bit different though, partly because there's a lot more people and so there are some interesting complications about who the story being told is meant for and why.

Nothing to discuss here cos you must have the only top 100 list where I haven't seen any titles, well I've vaguely seen The Jacket but lost interest so never finished it. Have heard of Crash but doesn't appeal to me.

Y'know Jape it would've been nice if you could've said why you liked the films or a bit about them. As it is I wouldn't go and look for them just seeing a title. Are they mostly indie comedy?
I'm going to be interested in seeing your updated list

Agreed, not much to discuss I've seen a whole one movie on your list. (Or, at least, I assume the Crash you have on your list is the one I've seen, but I can't be certain as there is more than one movie called "Crash" and you've provided no details like year of release or any sort of image from the movie)

Also why on earth would you post an outdated list? What's the point? You're new, we don't know you yet, so why would we want to know what your favorite movies used to be?

Not many on there that I know.

well I can see the interest in posting an outdated list if, as Jape says, he's intending to post an updated one, so it will be a comparison. On his new list when it comes, some comments as to why things have become more loved or less liked would be welcome and would provoke discussion

Yeah, this thread actually makes perfect sense to me. I almost wish I did it. He's briefly listing the movies he used to consider his favorite back when he was a film snob, as he called himself. Now, after a couple of years and a new perspective, he has a new list. It should be interesting to compare the two. It doesn't matter that he barely addresses the movies and why he chose them here; the list, I think, is basically just a jumping-off point for his new list, a perspective to put his new list into context. I'll assume he will discuss more in depth on his current list.

I'm also surprised at how many people have seen few or none of the movies on this list. Many are very popular, and most are fairly recent. I would actually guess that he's referring to Paul Haggis' Crash, since he said that now he doesn't really know what he was thinking in liking it so much. Which is how a lot of people feel about it. Cronenberg's was awesome, so I don't know why he would think that it was silly or strange of him to like it two years ago.

Also, anyone who hasn't seen Me, and You, and Everyone We Know should go out and rent that movie as soon as possible. It's definitely the best film on this list in my opinion, and one of my personal favorites as well.

This is supposed to be the list of a "film snob"? Okay...
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

ah if he means the Paul Haggis Crash then that's the one film I have seen. C&W has me intrigued now with his mentioning of Me, and You, and Everyone We Know - I'll go and have a look for that

This is supposed to be the list of a "film snob"? Okay...
I can understand that Jape can laugh at his former film snob self . The films he's chosen are a very deliberate mix of lesser known indie orientated films, possibly set out to impress with it's lack of blockbusters? I can't speak for him (her??) but when he says that one film is "One of the few on this list that I still hold to high regards", maybe it shows that he's relaxed a little a few years later and doesn't care so much what other people think?
Jape?

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Go is a fun, often underrated film. Full Frontal is one of the worst films I have ever seen, and there's only a couple of others on there that I've seen.

It would be nice to see a current list, though, maybe with some reasons why you like the films you've picked? It's interesting to compare, I'm planning to redo my top 100 soon.

Welll apparently I haven't seen any of them, then.

If the intent is to compare them, wouldn't make more sense to post them simultaneously? Especially if it's going to be awhile before the update version is posted?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I've seen at least 24% but there's nothing I feel the need to comment on quite yet. I'm guessing that Holden's seen closer to 90% but he hasn't commented either.

If I were to say what I thought the best ones were, I'd say GO, Idiocracy and Haggis' Crash. Sure, I have some problems with the last one (and the other two), but my thumb is still up, and it probably would have never become a pariah if it hadn't won Best Picture.

Now, what's even more embarrasing for me is that I've only seen ONE of your current (less film-snobbish?) Fave Films. That's the Charlie Kaufman flick. Although nobody gives a crap, I will catch up in my own sweet time.

I can understand that Jape can laugh at his former film snob self . The films he's chosen are a very deliberate mix of lesser known indie orientated films, possibly set out to impress with it's lack of blockbusters?
I was kinda being sarcastic (surprise, surprise), these aren't really films I picture when thinking of film snobbery.

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
LOL yeah.... When I eventually do my current list of my top 50 or 100 or so there will be alot more better known films.

I was a bit of a film snob back then but who isn't at 21?
When i was 21 my favourite movies that year would have included

Batman
When Harry Met Sally
Born on the 4th of July
Sea of Love
The Abyss
Glory

and of course the Classic
Weekend at Bernies.