Psycho (1960) Overrated?

→ in
Tools    

Semper Fooey
You people who say Psycho is boring, did you watch it knowing in advance what the ending was? Did you know Janet Leigh gets stabbed in the shower? I suspect you did. Someone told me they weren't impressed with The Sixth Sense. They were already aware of the ending when they watched it. I guess a movie with plot twists is a lot less impressive if you know what's coming.

It's not overrated, but then, it depends who's asking.

I first saw Psycho when I was 9 or 10. It was B&W, nothing happened (to my child mind) for 40 minutes and then, the scene we'd heard all about, happened and we just sat there. Was that it? We all decided that it was crap and turned it off there and then and put another film in. Probably Zombie Creeping Flesh or something like that, because that's what we watched which, surely, explains why I found Psycho so boring.

I didn't see Psycho again until I was 17 and I loved it. I thought it was excellent. However, had you asked me at any time inbetween those two viewings and I would, of course, have told you it was overrated rubbish. Why? Because all I knew about film was what I did and didn't like, not what was good and bad.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
I actually just watched Psycho last night for the fist time and some of it was a bit boring but that's only becuase I basically knew the story inside out already and I just wanted to see the most famous scenes in context but I don't think it's at all overrated, it's classic cinema at its best!

A system of cells interlinked
Certainly NOT overrated. I can watch this film over and over, just relishing the subtle performance of Anthony Perkins.

A killer score (killer! get it?), some of the most tense scenes between two characters, Anthony Perkins' performance, and a murderer being the protagonist.

Or is this just another case of overrating it, to some? Nah, I don't think you can argue these points. My only problem with Psycho is the explained ending, but I love pretty much everything else about it.

Happy New Year from Philly!
Starts with a boring set up. Proceeds with a skin tightening denouement which comes very early in the film. Then boring catch the killer stuff.

Yes, it is overrated.

Awesome movie... 2 and 3 were ok.

Psycho...overrated?

*Faints*

No. It does seem a little flat until we are introduced to Anthony Perkins, though.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I think that without Psycho, the horror genre is nothing. This is a classic film that should be viewed by all and appreciated by most. Not Hitchcock's best movie but it is still a good one.

I don't know about you, but Psycho was/is the most overrated movie of all time. I mean don't get me wrong, the plot was good, but the movie was horribly acted by all, janet leigh is another one overrated for that role. It just didn't work for me. Perkins isn't that great either.
What is this, I don't even-

Yall can come after me on this one, but IMHO Psycho is #3 after Vertigo and The Birds for Hitchcock. Seriously, if anything, Psycho is underrated.

Perhaps try Dial M for Murder? So awesome. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to be that great.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
That is the true question for me. Rear Window and North by Northwest easily come 1-2 for me Hitchcock-wise. The battle for third is between Dial M for Murder and Psycho, and honestly I might have to give the edge to Dial M for Murder.

Before I legitimately respond to this thread with thoughtful analysis, let me just ask: Who the **** thinks this movie is overrated?! What? This means the original right? As in not Vince Vaughn? I'm so confused, my world was just been rocked.

This deeply dismays me. I'll probably respond seriously in the next day or so. But right now, I'm too confused to even continue on movieforums. I feel betrayed.

I remember the first time I watched Psycho and truly it took a while to get into, but after Janet Leigh reaches the Bates Motel all that changes for me. It is pure excitement around every corner from that point on. I don't think it is overrated at all.

It's also extremely entertaining too though. It works amazingly on any level you can imagine.