Virgin Hall of Fame

Tools    

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I've only seen 3; The Graduate, Deep Cover, and Leon. I love the first two and seem to be the only person who doesn't love Leon. I do like it though.

Seen three. Leon which i'm not a fan of personally, Bottle Rocket and The Graduate both of which i love. The Return is the one i want to see most out of the other three. I know what happens in Sophie's Choice even though i've not seen it which turns me off and i've not heard of Deep Cover.

I've seen 2 of 6 - Leon and The Graduate. I wanted to read Sophie's Choice before i watch the movie, but now it's too late. That's ok. I have been planning it for about 13 years
I always say, watch the movie first, read the book second. Most every time someone reads the book first, it ruins the movie for them, at least people seem to say that a lot. So good thing you haven't read the book

I won't dance. Don't ask me...
I always say, watch the movie first, read the book second. Most every time someone reads the book first, it ruins the movie for them, at least people seem to say that a lot. So good thing you haven't read the book
It's oppositely,IMO. Watching a movie ruins reading a book. I'm great movie fan, but a book has priority
But not this time, not in case Sophie's choice

My thoughts...

Bottle Rocket
(1996)...I've been wanting to see this one for awhile. I've seen a few of Wes Anderson films and liked some of them.

The Graduate
(1967)...a classic that I have never seen, until now!

Deep Cover (1992)...never heard of it but I do like the two lead actors Laurence Fishburne and Jeff Goldblum

Sophie's Choice
(1982)...this is the only one of the noms that I've seen. It has one of the most powerful endings in cinema.

Leon The Professional (Léon) (1994)...I've heard a lot of good things about this one, should be fun.

The Return (Vozvrashchenie)
(2004)...I hadn't heard of it, but after reading it I see it gets high marks and lots of praise.

This looks like it'll be an interesting HoF.

I've seen 3 of the nominations. I don't remember much about The Graduate (other than a few iconic scenes) or Deep Cover, but I did rewatch Léon not too long ago for the Chain Challenge. I didn't realize it was a rewatch at the time because I didn't know the name of the film when I saw it on tv previously haha. I'm also not a huge fan of that one, but it's fine, and it definitely has supporters here.

I wonder how long it'll be before all of Wes Anderson's films have been nominated for one of these HoFs (if that hasn't already happened).

I wonder how long it'll be before all of Wes Anderson's films have been nominated for one of these HoFs (if that hasn't already happened).
I just checked and his only other films to get nominated are Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel so we still have some way to go before that happens

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Then why did I watch Fantastic Mr. Fox?

Oh wait, that was probably the Animated Films Tournament. That makes sense.
But Fantastic Mr Fox is great! You shouldn't need a reason to watch it!

I don't really like Wes Anderson outside of his visual style, and I'm not particularly fond of stop-motion either, so a stop-motion animated Wes Anderson film was not something I would have ever watched on my own accord haha.

I just checked and his only other films to get nominated are Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom and The Grand Budapest Hotel so we still have some way to go before that happens
You're fast! I was checking too, but I was too slow But yup you're right on those.

These Wes Anderson films that haven't been nominated yet:
Fantastic Mr. Fox
The Darjeeling Limited
The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
The Royal Tenenbaums

movies can be okay...
The only film I've seen from the bunch is my own nomination, so I'm pretty excited.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

The only film I've seen from the bunch is my own nomination, so I'm pretty excited.
You chose a good one! I think everyone choose some really good movies, I'm impressed with all the noms

You've got red on you!
Woo! So exciting! Thanks for putting this together, CR. I've seen my nominee more times than I can count, and the Graduate and Leon, but those were a long time ago. I'm very much looking forward to seeing all of them!