Rate that Movie: Brazil

Tools    

Orwell's depressing but brilliant "1984" re-imagined as a humanistic farce. What's not to love?
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
I just saw it it. So far I give it a 4/10. I just feel that the movie really has nothing to new or interesting to say about it's subject matter and the ending really doesn't add up to hardly anything I felt.

SPOILER

I mean the movie is about a futuristic totalitarian governnment and the movie ends by having the main character arrested, tortured, then goes crazy. But that doesn't have anything new to say about the government and feels like a random ending, with no real thought put into it.

Welcome to the human race...
I just saw it it. So far I give it a 4/10. I just feel that the movie really has nothing to new or interesting to say about it's subject matter and the ending really doesn't add up to hardly anything I felt.

SPOILER

I mean the movie is about a futuristic totalitarian governnment and the movie ends by having the main character arrested, tortured, then goes crazy. But that doesn't have anything new to say about the government and feels like a random ending, with no real thought put into it.
It's interesting that you say that since the ending was the first thing Gilliam came up with (he wanted to do a story where the hero going insane at the end would count as a happy ending). To this end, I'd contend that the film isn't all that much about the government itself (which does amount to an incredibly surreal and absurd 1984 parody where the government is scary less because of some sinister plan than because it's so poorly run) so much as Sam's place within it and how his heroic dreams contrast and even blur together with his nightmarish reality (which is why the ending involves them both becoming one and the same and thus doesn't come across as "random" to me).

Anyway, I give this a ten.

It's weird that Nostromo made a bunch of these threads to try and create discussion then someone told him not to make them for some reason. Too many threads or something. I get that it often just ends up with ratings but it was something at least, and it seemed like an official thing that he was told not to make any more unless i'm misremembering. The hostility towards these threads is definitely part of "weird mofo" to me.

I remember some people complaining about the threads (I think they took up most of the entire first page of a forum at one point), but if I'm remembering correctly, I specifically created this subforum to house them.

I also told him about my plans to add movie ratings (since implemented), since it was bound to end up superseding these

It's interesting that you say that since the ending was the first thing Gilliam came up with (he wanted to do a story where the hero going insane at the end would count as a happy ending). To this end, I'd contend that the film isn't all that much about the government itself (which does amount to an incredibly surreal and absurd 1984 parody where the government is scary less because of some sinister plan than because it's so poorly run) so much as Sam's place within it and how his heroic dreams contrast and even blur together with his nightmarish reality (which is why the ending involves them both becoming one and the same and thus doesn't come across as "random" to me).

Anyway, I give this a ten.
Oh okay, when reading other people's reviews of the movie they say it's about living under the totalitarian government, so maybe I took the movie the wrong way. But even it's about Sam having his dreams quashed, I feel the movie didn't really have a lot to say about that either. I mean there are lots of movies where the protagonist is pushed around by the government and goes crazy in the end, and I didn't feel this this one brought anything new to the table.

It felt like an exercise in over-the-top-ness, and nothing more, but perhaps I should watch it again to see if I take it differently. It's one of those movies I want to get into and find the visuals fascinating, but just trying to look for the good stuff. But I read there are like three versions of this movie floating around, so which one should I watch? Not sure which one I saw before.

Oh okay, when reading other people's reviews of the movie they say it's about living under the totalitarian government, so maybe I took the movie the wrong way. But even it's about Sam having his dreams quashed, I feel the movie didn't really have a lot to say about that either. I mean there are lots of movies where the protagonist is pushed around by the government and goes crazy in the end, and I didn't feel this this one brought anything new to the table.

It felt like an exercise in over-the-top-ness, and nothing more, but perhaps I should watch it again to see if I take it differently. It's one of those movies I want to get into and find the visuals fascinating, but just trying to look for the good stuff. But I read there are like three versions of this movie floating around, so which one should I watch? Not sure which one I saw before.
Ironpony, name a movie that is similar in theme to Brazil that you think is good?

What theme would that be, a guy in a totalitarian world, having his dreams crushed?

Ok . Well as far as these futuristic government movies here are some I like:

Metropolis (1927)
THX-1138 (1971)
Equilibrium (2002)
Logan's Run (1976)
Gattaca (1997)
The Island (2005)

So I like a good amount of them.

Ok . Well as far as these futuristic government movies here are some I like:

Metropolis (1927)
THX-1138 (1971)
Equilibrium (2002)
Logan's Run (1976)
Gattaca (1997)

So I like a good amount of them.
All I can say is I've seen them all except Equilibrium ....and those are all real good. I'll have to watch Equilibrium, thanks for mentioning that.

Equilibrium goes over the top in the action scenes, but aside from that I really like the story and a lot of the more quiet moments.