Do you lend DVDs to friends? What if they keep them?

Tools    

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
I lend my DVD's constantly. it helps with the rationalization of owning a ridiculous library when i can d/l anything i want.

Not really. I wanted to show a teacher of mine Mel Brook History of the World Part I back in 5th grade so I lended her a copy. she probably thought my parents were irresponsible for letting me watch it. ANyway she ended up leaving the school and I only got it mailed back 3 months later, then I put it back in my Mel Brooks collection which I always have loved.
I don't really let friends borrow it, I'm extremely careful when it comes to my discs. I have irrational reactions when one doesn't work, so I don't take the risk of just letting people borrow. My collection isn't really that big either so I hardly ever have someone ask for one

I'm letting someone borrow about 12 blu-rays soon but a lot of them have slipcase covers on, so I'm taking those off and keeping them safe in case of damage or stolen(from their house, not the person borrowing the films) because I find that later on shops sell the same film but without the slipcase and some of mine are lenticular special editions.

So if say stolen, I don't want to go back to the shop to buy it and it doesn't come with the slipcase cover that my original blu-ray box had.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Sometimes, but usually if I get something in exchange and if I find them trustworthy enough.

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
This is usually my reaction when this situation occurs:

I always lend out DVDs and always forget who has what. then I have to send mass e-mails to the whole company asks who has it. Plus, I hate having to ask for DVDs back, why cant people just borrow it, watch it, then bring it back in, they always seem to hold on to it until you ask.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
I don't usually lend out movies, probably because I don't usually get asked, my collection is composed of about sixty or seventy independent films, with a flow of mainstream movies reeling their ugly little head as well. I have borrowed a movie or so recently, however, I borrowed Jeepers Creepers and its sequel, and after watching the first one, I returned both of them.

I've lent DVDs to mates in the past. Some of them went 'missing' and the rest came back scratched to hell because the disc was left on a table/shelf/floor shiny side down.
I had a mate who used one of my DVDs as a coaster for his mug of coffee once too. I flipped.
I don't do it anymore.

I'll lend a DVD to my Brother though, he's really an*l about keeping discs clean, even more than I am, so I know he'll look after them.

I won't lend discs to my kids though. They've got their own DVD collections and I've seen what they do with them, so they're not getting their sticky bogies on mine.
I won't even give my kids the remote control, if they want the channel changed, I do it. They've lost their own remotes to their DVD players and tellies... I mean, they can't even keep the chargers for their Nintendo DS's in the DS cases for goodness sake...

"Dad! I've lost my charger and the Nintendo is flat! Dad! My DVD won't play cuz it's scratched!"
"Oh well, nothing I can do about it, you should look after your stuff"

*cue the teary eyes and 30 minutes of bawling*

I had a mate who used one of my DVDs as a coaster for his mug of coffee once too. I flipped.
Some people just don't think, have no common sense. I can't stand it, it's mostly because it comes across that they are selfish and don't think about other people if they can't even look after something you have kindly let them borrow.

Fair enough if an accident, but using a dvd as a coaster isn't an accident...

I have a very old piece of beautiful furniture that I got passed down to me from my Grandparents, a relative came over with their wife and she put a hot coffee cup down on the top of this furniture and left a coffee stain mark... there was a normal table next to her but nooooooooo she puts it down on the nice furniture instead with no coaster... people just don't think.

I can't stand ignorance or people who are just carelessly ignorant.

The 'DVD coaster' was basically this... he sat down and went to put his cup on the table... then stopped and looked around for a second... and then chucked the DVD on the table, shiny side up, and plopped the cup on the DVD without a care in the world.

"What the devil, my good man!?" is a polite way of describing what I said.

What gets me is that he actually looked surprised at my reaction.

I loaned a movie to my best friend back in June and haven't gotten it back.

I'm not worried about it, though.

a) I trust my friend to respect my property
b) the movie sucks anyway and won't be missed