16th Hall of Fame

Tools    

Wait Until Dark (1967)....spoilers

This was great fun! I'd seen it before but forgot just how entertaining this was. At the get-go it's interesting and that interest builds and builds until the final climatic scene. Never a dull moment, never a moment wasted.

And this could have been just a run-of-the-mill film if it wasn't for the talented Audrey Hepburn. It's Audrey who makes this far fetched story, very believable. She does that with her 'reaction shots'. She reacts so realistically that it lends credence to what otherwise would have been a long ago forgotten movie.

She makes a very believable blind woman who's recently lost her sight. I like that she wasn't all self determined to do everything for herself. Instead she seemed unsure of herself and would ask for help. Where as in most movies she would have been demanding that people let her do the task all by herself. That seemed believable to me.

So too was the way she held her gaze and her eyes. She sold me on the believe that she was blind, and that's necessary for the movie to work. And her blindness is what ultimately saves her...All of that was well done.

But the real deal maker was Audrey's reaction shots to Alan Arkin. She was terrified and so real in the way she reacted...that then Alan Arkin becomes all the more threatening to us. Much in the same way that Jodie Foster through her reactions makes Silence of the Lambs work.

I haven't read the other write-up of Wait Until Dark, but something tells me tons of praise was heaped on Alan Arkin, and very little on Miss Hepburn. Without Audrey's fine performance the film would fall apart.

Good nom!

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wait Until Dark 1967.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	45370  

Wait Until Dark (1967)

Hepburn gives an amazing performance as our blind main character, I’m sure someone who hadn’t heard of her before seeing the movie would actually think she’s blind. I think the the film being set in one apartment helps to build the tension and terror. It’s also cool to note that the apartment is mostly underground; Isolated from the outside world.

Now let’s talk about the REAL meat on the bone, the suspense and ending. The film does a fantastic job of being suspenseful, with the robbers getting more aggressive and violent as the film goes on. The last 10-15 minutes are absolutely insane, pure terror; The perfect climax to an hour and a half of build up. I was sweating mad, on the very edge of my seat and jumped out of my skin a few times. What I adored was the gimmick of having most of the end in pure darkness, very creative and terrifying. (It helps to watch the film in a dimly lit room!)

If I had any complaints it’s that the first hour and a half have a more Hitchcock-ian tone while the last 10 minutes are horror, the whole film would be much better if it was mostly horror. I also feel the ‘pure darkness’ bit was underused, they could’ve done a lot more with that and made the film much more scary.

One of the most nail-biting and anxiety-causing films I’ve ever seen.

Damn! I should have just quoted you and said Ditto!...
I agree with everything you said, good write up Hashtag.

The funny thing is I laid awake last night thinking about what I would write in my review, but when morning came I didn't include most of my thoughts...

I too though the location in her small apartment worked wonders for creating claustrophobia tension. All the more so as it was a basement apartment.

I loved the all black-dark scenes too, and they were edited just to the right amount of time, with the matches providing momentary lighting. That put us into the mindset of a blind woman being terrorized. I don't think Hitch could have done any better. But if this had Hitch's name on it, it would be it would be a lot of members favorite.

So glad you nominated this!

Damn! I should have just quoted you and said Ditto!...
I agree with everything you said, good write up Hashtag.

The funny thing is I laid awake last night thinking about what I would write in my review, but when morning came I didn't include most of my thoughts...

I too though the location in her small apartment worked wonders for creating claustrophobia tension. All the more so as it was a basement apartment.

I loved the all black-dark scenes too, and they were edited just to the right amount of time, with the matches providing momentary lighting. That put us into the mindset of a blind woman being terrorized. I don't think Hitch could have done any better. But if this had Hitch's name on it, it would be it would be a lot of members favorite.

So glad you nominated this!

Mr. Freedom

Who knew Jeanne Dielman could be so sexy? That was an unexpected treat from a movie I knew nothing about going in. I would tend to look negatively upon any movie that mocks America, but I can put that aside. This is an original film that I thought was mostly successful at what it was trying to do. The humor is pretty consistent, and I'm sure there were a lot of gags that I missed the first time. It's hard to judge the acting and effects since they are intentionally bad. I can just say that they worked. It did all start to wear a little thin and that had me wishing it were more plot oriented. Of course then it would have been a different film. Overall I liked it and I think it was a very cool nomination.

Three Monkeys (2008) n

A Turkish family drama about guilt, greed, jealousy and, as their effect, stupidity.

Eyüp takes blame for his employer's accidental run over of a random pedestrian in exchange for some money. During the sentence his wife starts an affair with the employer. From there lots of things start to go wrong.

Again the characters aren't particularly likable but they're somewhat interesting. Story is written well and what seemed like a decent trade for the family turns believably into disaster because both the family and employer make terrible decisions.

Visually the film is OK. At times it feels a little too drained of color but I suppose it's on purpose. The "haunting" of the family's younger, apparently drowned, son is a nice touch. Acting is very good by practically everyone. Script is solid.

The film dragged slightly at times but not much. Maybe it's a culture thing but I felt that people were bit too ready to take the blame for other people's crimes. I'm not sure if I liked the ending either; it felt a little too easy solution to all the problems especially considering that it replicates the initial cause of the issues. I would have preferred more tragic ending.

Solid drama about breaking family and consequences of bad choices.

movies can be okay...
I'll be writing my thoughts on Wait Until Dark very soon, and I'll then check out 3:10 to Yuma. I'm pretty happy with this HOF so far though.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

movies can be okay...
Wait Until Dark (1967) by Terence Young

Seeing Alan Arkin leap from one corner of a room, to the far other, was definitely, and easily, the ultimate highlight throughout this flick

I thoroughly and thoroughly enjoyed Wait Until Dark, my only issues with it are contained in aspects of its presentation, such as the subpar acting, or the overall silliness of some of the happenings. Moreover, I can't really say I was ever tense, or engrossed in the suspense that the film-makers tried to convey. I was actually confused, and a bit shocked, to see the last act of the film be so highly praised, as if it's some essential and influential piece of cinema. Sorry, but not only do I not feel the same way, but I don't even understand the hype either. I was way more into the build-up, and the Hitchcokian parts of the film, but that just tells me how much I dig Hitchock's style more than anything else.

I was also not impressed by Alan Arkin, who universally gets all types of points for his performance here. Meanwhile, I found him silly, and completely not threatening, right from the get-go. In fact, when I mentioned sub-par acting, I was mainly referencing him (along with Jack Weston and whoever played the little girl). If anyone should be praised for their performance, it should undoubtedly be Audrey Hepburn.

Overall, I highly enjoyed this movie, mainly for its Hitchcockian vibe, and its build-up to the climax, and while I don't think it is as masterful as the likes of Dial M For Murder, or Rope, I still think it has its own unique charm, taste, and qualities. It was a fun, fast paced, enjoyable ride, that I actually imagine myself revisiting again.

Eh....this was a second watch for me I wanted to give this another chance.

Naked is a meandering nihilistic look at Gen X london, David Thewlis is a lazy pretentious sort of rapist who couch hops onto an ex girlfriends house. He ends up hooking up with her friend who is also a lost soul until he bores of her and moves on. Naked is basically a collection of "acting scenes" where you can tell the performers are "acting". The whole thing was just a tiresome tedious bore.

I also love how this London has apparently been completely gentrified because you know nothing says realistic urban city than a collective of fresh face acting students.

Anyways 90% of the cast is horrible people doing horrible things, rape is a constant theme throughout the film maybe you enjoy the misanthropic tendencies of the lead but I just found him to be a complete bore.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Due to accessibility I'll be watching Three Monkeys next.

If anyone can hook me up with a decent watching spot for 3:10 to Yuma, Poison for the Fairies, and Call Me By Your Name let me know.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Three Monkeys

Pretty cool movie that I've honestly never heard of until this Hall of Fame. I loved the catchy beginning which immediately Drew me into the story and also kept me interested in the characters. The best part of the film for me was it's visuals. It had a lot of great visually striking scenes and especially scenes that had thunder in it we're for whatever reason really neat and cool for me.

Like others have stated the pacing is slow but yet I didn't really have any legitimate beef with it as it still kept my interest for the most part. I think the story was engaging enough. There were admittedly times I felt lost in the story but I'll shake that up to cultural/language barriers for me. Eventually I got myself back on track.

But yeah, a good nomination and not something I'd otherwise have seen if it wasn't nominated here. Nothing groundbreaking but a solid watch and a solid nomination. I like my heavy drama films.

Naked (1993) n

Ever wanted to spend two hours watching an obnoxious smartass yapping his mouth? Me neither but now I had to.

So Johnny is a homeless bum and a wannabe intellectual who can't keep his mouth shut for a minute. His deep discussions with few unlucky encounters are like modern internet discussions - he drops walls of text from his mouth and doesn't give damn about what the other person is saying. He's a stupid movie cliche of an intellectual where being smart equals an ability to cite past philosophers instead of being able to think.

For some reason every woman he meets will instantly want to have sex with him despite of the fact that he's a smelly bum who mostly just insults these women and hurts them while having sex. Then there's this richer guy with his rape fantasies who has almost nothing to do with the rest of the story (I guess Mike Leigh was worried people wouldn't take him seriously if his film wouldn't break two hour mark so he decided to have two pricks instead of just one).

On the positive side acting is good, especially David Thewlis as Johnny is brilliant (I hated the guy but he was absolutely believable). Cinematography is pretty nice as well. Technical quality just doesn't save it from being horribly boring.

If it weren't for the HoF I wouldn't have finished this.

@pahaK I just read your review for Naked. I haven't seen it yet. But I love your honesty! Your OK in my book

And Naked is the last film I have to see, but I'm going to wait until the end of he Hof to watch it.

@pahaK I just read your review for Naked. I haven't seen it yet. But I love your honesty! Your OK in my book
Thanks When it comes to opinions I'm honest to a fault but I'm fully aware that they're just that, opinions, and everyone is free to disagree. I hope no one is upset if I end up being rough on something they like.

BTW, you have any idea when you're starting the 30s HoF? I'll probably dislike most of the noms there too but these seem like a good way to find something worthy that's outside my usual forte (Frances Ha and Three Monkeys fit that description on this HoF). Trying to find my kind of nom for that right now

Originally Posted by pahaK
BTW, you have any idea when you're starting the 30s HoF? I'll probably dislike most of the noms there too but these seem like a good way to find something worthy that's outside my usual forte. Trying to find my kind of nom for that right now
Good question. I was thinking about starting the 30s Hof too. I could actually do it tomorrow as I have the day off. But I want to make sure that most people are ready to join. I'm pretty sure it won't be a big Hof, so not many movies.

@HashtagBrownies @Siddon @cricket @neiba @edarsenal @Miss Vicky @Okay @rauldc14 @moviemad @pahaK are you guys interested in joining a 1930s Hof soon?