Night of the Living Dead

→ in
Tools    

The Adventure Starts Here!
Deckard, you're right. That's pretty lame. I don't even know what that added first scene does except give you an earlier exposure to the first zombie. Doesn't explain or change anything, really.

And adding a priest to do moral voiceover doesn't work either.

I like the fact that this movie tells the story no more deeply than the people at the farmhouse would experience it themselves. That is, we get no deeper explanations than the people involved can get via talking amongst themselves or hooking up an old TV. Keeps it creepier that way.

Movie Explorer
I was actually on a roll with zombie movies for a while. I rented and watched all the George Romero's zombie flicks and I have to say that this movie was one of the better ones. It's a classic (obviously) and probably the creepiest one. I also enjoyed "Dawn of the dead" which is the one that takes place in a mall right?

anyway, like someone said, the atmosphere of this movie is great and the B&W filming makes it that much more spookier. Although I did like the expansion of the story in the colored version of that kid and his uncle being killed or something like that.

I like it when they talk about how certain people WERE people who did things before they became zombies.

Anyway, this movie is excellent and I like both versions.

I just know they're coming to kill me.
I might be a little late on this post, but I'll say it anyways. This movie is my favorite Horror movie off all time. I even wrote and directed a black and white parody of it entitled "Night of the Stupid Dead". This movie is so fantastic, that I can't even watch it. Why? I dunno, I got better things to do... Anyways, the eating scene at first scared me, then I got used to it and adored it. When I was a little kid, I was really into old "B" horror movies, and I wanted to see this flick. But my brother said that I'd be scared. I said that I wouldn't, it's in black and white! No movie that's scary now-a-days is in black and white! Man, was I wrong! I haven't been able to see the remake, nor the other two sequels. But get this- they're in the process of remaking the second Dead film, "Dawn of the Dead", and it is being filmed in Canada and is directed by the same guy who did "Resident Evil". To find out more on this, visit Hompage of the Dead. Also, I heard the George A. Romero is working on the next "Dead" film, "Dusk of the Dead". Again, check out that site for more info.

And this, my friends, is the film's most memorable quote:

They're coming to get you, Barbera...

I just finished watching Night of the Living Dead-- for the first time. I really wasn't that impressed. I know it must have been shocking and ground-breaking for its time; but the movie was too choppy and cheesy to fully appreciate. At times the sound was simply atrocious.

Being filmed in B&W, the movie is inherently romantic, and creepy. But it is never scary. Actually, this type of plodding-dead-going-bump-in-the-night-under-the-cover-of-black-and-white-celluloid was first done 6 years earlier with Herk Harvey's Carnival of Souls. This fact is frequently forgotten.

I really, really like the remake. I think it adds the necessary kick needed for the 90s without abandoning its roots and straying any distance from the original plot. It could have just as easily been cast with mainstream actors, but the project remained in the realm of small production, while still maintaining impressive production values. Tony "The Candyman" Todd reprises the role of Ben; Tom Savini supplies the make-up. It is one of the better zombie films, period. I can't imagine people dissing this movie while gushing over the original, merely for the sake of nostalgia.