Stars Who Had No Friends?

Tools    

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Movies, music, comedy, etc.. Someone who's a star, well known. I used "had" because someone living can still change, and make friends. If you can only think of living people, try to pick the oldest, since chances are someone isn't going to suddenly start becoming social at the age of 80.

It could be a loner, or it could be someone who has a spouse and children and prefers being a homebody when they're not on the road or in the studio.

Artists tend to be introspective, but I heard from one that being famous is very lonely. It could be someone who might have wanted friends, but being a star might have made it difficult to hanging out with guys you went to school with, or even going out in general to have the chance to meet new people. It could be the nicest star, too. But it could be something related to something like agoraphobia, too. I just didn't want the title to automatically give the idea that a certain star has a personality defect - but it could be.

What a freaking fantastic topic! I've heard about actors who are difficult to work with, but I don't know of actors who have no friends...will be keeping an eye on this thread.

I'm also guessing that a lot of the friends look at their new "star friend" differently and maybe act differently, which can cause friction. I'm sure there's leeches, but there's probably also the opposite, or friends who don't want to be in certain situations, like having the papparrazzi everywhere.

I'd be inclined to lay odds that J. Phoenix --and possibly his spouse, Rooney-- has no social life or friends. Never read that to be true, but he's the kind of weird guy that would likely stay real private.

And my guess is that the great Gloria Grahame had few if any friends, especially after strapping on her 13 year old stepson.. Maybe @CitizenRules has read more about her social activities.

My opinion has always been to simply enjoy an actor's or musician's art and work. Generally you would not likely be glad to know their actual personalities or private lives.

...And my guess is that the great Gloria Grahame had few if any friends, especially after strapping on her 13 year old stepson.. Maybe @CitizenRules has read more about her social activities.
I whole heartily agree that Gloria Grahame was a great actress, but I don't believe her ex husband's allegations that she had an affair with his 13 year old son. If so, he did nothing about it at the time and for years later.

I think that was more of a smear campaign by Nicholas Ray after Gloria married his adult son. By all accounts Ray was a royal ass, very vindictive and hot tempered...he was a boozer, womanizer and drug abuser. The funny thing is Ray made no such claims until years later when his adult son married Gloria...and then the claim was initially made by her third husband during a heated divorce and custody case in court. That ex claimed she was unfit to have custody of their child and of course any man or woman accused of such things will have a hard time clearing their name. Of course this did ruin Gloria's career.

According to Gloria's last boyfriend Peter Turner, he said there was no truth to the allegations.

6 minutes and worth it

I'm sure he has at least one friend, but Chevy Chase is notoriously hated (for being an *******, by most accounts). Apparently he was in tears after his Comedy Central roast as a result.

I'm sure he has at least one friend, but Chevy Chase is notoriously hated (for being an *******, by most accounts). Apparently he was in tears after his Comedy Central roast as a result.
Norm MacDonald was his friend.

Brando deserves a mention.

Also Tom Cruise. He has employees, not friends.

I wouldn't say he had no friends particularly, but speaking of being 'introspective', this is a rather interesting interview with Richard Burton, I think. At the time when it was recorded he touches on being fairly reclusive in life, essentially living out of hotel rooms and not going out much, which potentially ties in with the topic.

I wouldn't say he had no friends particularly, but speaking of being 'introspective', this is a rather interesting interview with Richard Burton, I think. At the time when it was recorded he touches on being fairly reclusive in life, essentially living out of hotel rooms and not going out much, which potentially ties in with the topic.

I'd recommend reading his diaries. I've only skimmed for directors I love like De Sica, and using certain keywords that usually bring good sections... "Hate" "Love" "<curse words>", "Favourite" "Movies" Best" "Worst", etc.

I whole heartily agree that Gloria Grahame was a great actress, but I don't believe her ex husband's allegations that she had an affair with his 13 year old son. If so, he did nothing about it at the time and for years later.

I think that was more of a smear campaign by Nicholas Ray after Gloria married his adult son. By all accounts Ray was a royal ass, very vindictive and hot tempered...he was a boozer, womanizer and drug abuser. The funny thing is Ray made no such claims until years later when his adult son married Gloria...and then the claim was initially made by her third husband during a heated divorce and custody case in court. That ex claimed she was unfit to have custody of their child and of course any man or woman accused of such things will have a hard time clearing their name. Of course this did ruin Gloria's career.

According to Gloria's last boyfriend Peter Turner, he said there was no truth to the allegations.
Interesting. Here's a companion piece to that vid:
https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...f9e92fa3f999a4
After watching the video, I'm wondering if Turner's and Grahame's relationship was strictly an affair of the heart.

Interesting. Here's a companion piece to that vid:
https://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...f9e92fa3f999a4
After watching the video, I'm wondering if Turner's and Grahame's relationship was strictly an affair of the heart.
Thanks Doc for posting that, I have to say it made me a bit teary eyed.