Favourite Albums of 1975?

Tools    

The greatest album from 1975 you've never listened to? The eponymous debut of Crack the Sky. It was named Best Debut Album of the year by Rolling Stone Magazine. It is a Prog Rock classic. They are local legends in this area but never quite ever broke through to the mainstream. They made some very good music, and are still together and recording, but that first album is fantastic.

YES! How could I have forgotten my favorite album of the year. Go listen to "Robots for Ronnie" and " A Sea Epic", then get back with us!

As for poor Ronnie, he never wipes his feet because he's never coming in.

Manuel Göttsching - Inventions for Electric Guitar
Nice.

Have you heard this? It was recorded in '75 but wasn't released until decades later, so I didn't know about it until a few years ago. It's credited to Ash Ra Tempel but sounds to me more like the "Ashra" era, and the IFEG album.

Nice.

Have you heard this? It was recorded in '75 but wasn't released until decades later, so I didn't know about it until a few years ago. It's credited to Ash Ra Tempel but sounds to me more like the "Ashra" era, and the IFEG album.

No, I'm ashamed that I didn't explore Ash Ra Tempel after I listened to it considering how much I liked the album. It was recommended to me in an Album Swap game that happened on Corrierino before us RT refugees took over its remains, FWIW.

Do you recommend starting with that one or is there a better introduction to their work?

No, I'm ashamed that I didn't explore Ash Ra Tempel after I listened to it considering how much I liked the album. It was recommended to me in an Album Swap game that happened on Corrierino before us RT refugees took over its remains, FWIW.

Do you recommend starting with that one or is there a better introduction to their work?
Their sound often varies from album to album, but if you're a fan of the Gottsching album then I'd recommend this one, or New Age of Earth or Blackouts. Anything under the Ashra name is basically a Gottsching solo album anyway.

The Ash Ra Tempel era is sometimes more of a power trio-jamming kind of thing. (With Klaus Schulze on drums!)

6 Amon Düül II - Made In Germany

Hmm. I've had this for years and don't think I've ever given it any more than a cursory listen. Considering I've recently 'rediscovered' Yeti, I should probably give it a second chance

Surprised Jinnistan hasn't mentioned this prog ditty from 1975.

Haven't heard of them.

As for Zappa, I probably could have added Bongo Fury.

Their sound often varies from album to album, but if you're a fan of the Gottsching album then I'd recommend this one, or New Age of Earth or Blackouts. Anything under the Ashra name is basically a Gottsching solo album anyway.
I got a set of Gottsching's The Private Tapes Vol. 1-6 and it has a bunch of unreleased ART, Ashra and his solo stuff. Makes for really great psychic wallpaper.

From the beginning, the first two or three ar their best ones.

I got a set of Gottsching's The Private Tapes Vol. 1-6 and it has a bunch of unreleased ART, Ashra and his solo stuff. Makes for really great psychic wallpaper.
Somebody once offered to sell me that and I didn't take it, and I'm no longer in touch with that person.

Hmm. I've had this for years and don't think I've ever given it any more than a cursory listen.
I actually way prefer this and "Hijack" to their less accessible earlier freakout stuff

Alltime fave Amon Duul track::

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I actually way prefer this and "Hijack" to their less accessible earlier freakout stuff

Alltime fave Amon Duul track::

My favorite is "Green Bubble Raincoated Man" but I have to give some text to "Touchmaphal"

some favorites that haven't been mentioned:

Big Star - Third
Joni Mitchell - Hissing of Summer Lawns
Roy Wood - Mustard

Blooze:
Bad Company - Straight Shooter
Foghat - Fool For the City
ZZ Top - Fandango

Southern Rock:
The Allman Brothers Band - Win Lose or Draw
Atlanta Rhythm Section - Dog Days
Elvin Bishop - Juke Joint Jump
Blackfoot - No Reservations
Charlie Daniels Band - Nightrider
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Nuthin' Fancy
Marshall Tucker Band - Searchin' For a Rainbow
Outlaws
Ozark Mountain Daredevils - The Car Over the Lake Album
Wet Willie - Dixie Rock

Asleep at the Wheel - Texas Gold
Norman Blake/Tut Taylor/Sam Bush/Butch Robbins/Vassar Clements/David Holland/Jethro Burns
Vassar Clements
Vassar Clements - Superbow
Emmylou Harris - Pieces of the Sky
Emmylou Harris - Elite Hotel
Tony Trischka - Heartlands

Prog/Krautrock:
Edgar Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Steve Hackett - Voyage of the Acolyte
Kansas - Masque
Kansas - Song For America
Popol Vuh - Das Hohelied Salomos
Rush - Fly By Night
Rush - Caress of Steel
Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Another Live
Shakti with John McLaughlin
Chris Squire - Fish Out of Water
Tangerine Dream - Rubycon

That's kinda cheating.

I was going to say something about ripping off The Wild Tchoupitoulas, but it looks like they've both been around for a long time. Good find.

I was going to say something about ripping off The Wild Tchoupitoulas, but it looks like they've both been around for a long time. Good find.
Yeah, the Magnolias were the first ones to actually make a record. Released a single in 1970, and then a couple of LPs in 74-75. The first Tchoupitoulas LP came out in '76.

And these are all traditional street chants that all the tribes do, just performed with a funk band, so it's not really a case of anyone being ripped off. There's dozens of tribes that haven't been recorded.

The Tchoups' album has more of a NO flavor, but I find the Magnolias stuff to be funkier. And the first Magnolia LP ('74) is better than this one, imo.

And these are all traditional street chants that all the tribes do, just performed with a funk band, so it's not really a case of anyone being ripped off. There's dozens of tribes that haven't been recorded.
I'm familiar with the Mardi Gras Indian tradition, but I wasn't aware of another tribe other than the Tchoupitoulas using "Wild" in their title.

I'm familiar with the Mardi Gras Indian tradition, but I wasn't aware of another tribe other than the Tchoupitoulas using "Wild" in their title.
Oh yeah, there's a few actually, my favorite being the Wild Squatoolas.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I'm not going to quote everyone, but there's a lot of good stuff...I love prog-rock, but I see on the same list "Emmy Lou Harris and Graham Parsons" -- I just happened to be listening to "Love Hurts" by random, kinda.. I basically hit "Next" until I come across a song I wanna hear, especially if I haven't heard it in a while.

Here's my song list.
https://www.scribd.com/document/3827...lFan-Song-List

Big Star - Third
That's kinda cheating.
How come. I lurrrvvvv that record. It's seems so eerily out of time to 1975.