I need some help with mild horror movie suggestions

Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I feel like The Conjuring is big on scares and light on blood. Check that one out.

Suspect's Reviews

lol @gbgoodies, I' m not really a fan of horror movies either, even though I've seen a lot on these lists . You're braver than me, gbg cause with most of these scarefests, one viewing was enough - if not more than enough - for me Funny too that like you, I really like cop thrillers and mysteries of any kind- tv and movies both.

So I can't really add much to the list, except going by your (very wise) requests - I think you may enjoy the eerie films of M Night Shyamalan like Sixth Sense, The Village and Signs.

One other movie that is harrowing but not gory is a little mentioned film that sometimes pops up on
an ' oldies' movie channel- a psychological thriller/ mystery called
The House on Telegraph Hill.
I like it for the atmosphere, and that there's an underlying theme of the heroine who escaped the horrors of WW2

Another one you may like is a pretty well made movie starring my personal fave Harrison Ford -
What Lies Beneath
(I've rewatched that one several times. But not necessarily ......ah.....all the way to the end.)

Well good luck on your viewing gbg- you're a braver gal than I. Alls I can say is if you find yourself in a hotel run by someone named Norman - and you're curious about what lurks in the next room -get out while you can. Whatever you do .... puhlease !!!! don' t open that door.
Oh ...n .....n .....n .....n ..... n nnnoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

😳

10 Rillington Place (1971)
Burning Bright (2010)
The Changeling (1980)
The Collector (1965)
Curse of the Demon (1957)
Dial M for Murder (1954)
Gaslight (1944)
Kwaidan (1964)
The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
Megan is Missing (2011)
Night of the Hunter (1955)
Lake Mungo (2008)
The Little Stranger (2018)
The Others (2001)
Rebecca (1940)
Rope (1948)
Seance on a Wet Afternoon (1964)
Searching (2018)
The Spiral Staircase (1946)
The Undying Monster (1942)
Good recommendations but I think a lot of them don't qualify for the horror countdown. She should not watch Megan is Missing.

PS
Agree with @Citizen Rules on the Fly(1986) - a
horror ( more a sci fi ) movie that is quite touching. Romantic even. With Jeff Goldblum at his most strange and alluring best.

And agree on 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers . Also more of a sci fi film, and also buoyed by another talented
actor, Donald Sutherland. Who makes
it a ' thoughtful ' chiller and imho a must see.
A quick cameo by the star from the original Body Snatchers adds to the fun.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I might get a couple wrong here and there but I don't think any of the following contravene what you asked to avoid.

The Lost Boys (1987)
Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Dracula (1931) and (1958)
Frankenstein (1931)
Nosferatu (1922)
The Witches (1966)
The Reptile (1966)
The Plague Of The Zombies (1966)
Interview With The Vampire (1994) They kill a rat, but other than that I don't think there anything.
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Cat People (1942)
House of Wax (1956)
The Haunting (1963)
Black Sunday(1960)
The Innocents (1961)
Planet Of The Vampires (1965)
The Wicker Man (1973)
Poltergeist (1982)

I've actually seen a few of these movies:

The Lost Boys (1987)
Dracula (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
House of Wax (1956)
The Innocents (1961)
Poltergeist (1982)

I'll have to look into the rest of this list.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Something Wicked this way Comes

Clayton, 1983

Sort of half fantasy, half horror spooky tale originally by Ray Bradbury.

I saw Something Wicked This Way Comes many years ago, and I considered rewatching it for this countdown, but it's not tagged as "Horror" on IMDB, so it's not eligible for the countdown.

Thanks for the suggestion. I would have watched it if it was eligible.

I took some time to organize this, I hope it helps. I've seen all of these films and liked them all! You and I seem to have similar taste, so there's nothing super gory here.
Thanks for taking the time to organize this list. It's much easier to go through several small lists than one large list.

Paranormal/supernatural/ghost
The Uninvited (1944)
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
The Omen (1976)
Rosemary's Baby (1968)
The Innocents (1961)
The Blair Witch Project (1999)
13 Ghosts (1960) William Castle
Carnival of Souls (1962) Ghost
Dracula (1931)
I Walked with a Zombie (1943)
White Zombie (1932)
Interview with the Vampire (1994)
Night of the Living Dead (1968)
I've seen a few of these movies:

The Uninvited (1944) - I love this movie.
The Picture of Dorian Gray (1945)
The Innocents (1961)
The Blair Witch Project (1999) - I hated this movie.
Dracula (1931)

Mentally Deranged stuff:
Psycho (1960)
Strait-Jacket (1964)
Homicidal (1961)
House of Wax (1953)
Eraserhead (1977)
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
Mr. Sardonicus (1961) William Castle
The Body Snatcher (1945)
The Old Dark House (1932)
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)
I've also seen a few of these movies:

Psycho (1960)
Strait-Jacket (1964)
House of Wax (1953) - Great movie.
Eraserhead (1977) - I didn't understand this movie.
What Ever Happened to Baby Jane? (1962)
The Old Dark House (1932) - I watched this for the 1930's countdown.
The Phantom of the Opera (1925)

Sci Fi Horror classics and solid B's:
X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963)
The Tingler (1959) William Castle
The Monolith Monsters (1957)
The Devil-Doll (1936)
The Fly (1958)
The Last Man on Earth (1964) Vincent Price
4D Man (1959)
Attack of the Puppet People (1958)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
Five Million Years to Earth (1967)
Frankenstein (1931)
Island of Lost Souls (1932)
King Kong (1933)
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)
The Brain That Wouldn't Die (1962)
The Birds (1963)
I've seen these movies from this list:

The Fly (1958) - Not my kind of movie, but the Jeff Goldblum version was better.
The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957) - I saw this many years ago, and all I remember is a giant spider.
The Last Man on Earth (1964)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1931)
Frankenstein (1931)
King Kong (1933)
The Birds (1963) - I'm still afraid of wild birds in large flocks.

I think I also saw X: The Man with the X-Ray Eyes (1963), but I don't remember much about it.

Well known 1970s-80s Sci Fi & Horror:
The Shining (1980) lots of blood though
The Thing (1982) gory though
The Fly (1986) touching film though gross at times
Alien (1979)
Psycho II (1983) maybe a little gory
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Poltergeist (1982)
I've seen some of these movies too:

The Thing (1982) - I'm in the minority, and I prefer the original.
The Fly (1986) - Good movie, but not a movie that I want to rewatch.
Alien (1979)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
Poltergeist (1982) - I love this movie, except for the scene where the guy rips his face apart.

Roger Corman & Vincent Price made four good films based on Edgar Allen Poe stories:
House of Usher (1960)
Pit and the Pendulum (1961)
The Raven (1963)
The Masque of the Red Death (1964)
I like Vincent Price, so I've seen most of these movies. The only one of these movies that I haven't seen is The Masque of the Red Death (1964). I'll have to watch it.

I'll have to look into the movies listed that I haven't seen.

Thanks for the suggestions.

10 Rillington Place (1971)
Burning Bright (2010)
The Changeling (1980)
The Collector (1965)
Curse of the Demon (1957)
Dial M for Murder (1954)
Gaslight (1944)
Kwaidan (1964)
Megan is Missing (2011)
Lake Mungo (2008)
The Little Stranger (2018)
The Others (2001)
Rebecca (1940)
Rope (1948)
Searching (2018)
The Undying Monster (1942)

These are great movies, but IMDB doesn't have them tagged as "Horror", so they're not eligible for the countdown:

Dial M for Murder (1954)
Gaslight (1944)
Rebecca (1940)
Rope (1948)

Other than The Changeling (1980) and The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957), I don't know much about the rest of these movies, so I'll look into them.

Gbg, make sure you give When A Stranger Calls (1979) an airing if you can.

I watched When A Stranger Calls (1979) many years ago while I was babysitting, and the child was sleeping in his upstairs bedroom.
WARNING: "SPOILERS!!!" spoilers below
When he said "Did you check the children?", and then the police told her "We've traced the calls. They're coming from inside the house!,"
it scared the he!! out of me.

That movie could be the reason I don't like horror movies.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I feel like The Conjuring is big on scares and light on blood. Check that one out.
The Conjuring 2 too.

I haven't heard of The Conjuring movies, but I like Patrick Wilson, so I'll give these two movies a try.

lol @gbgoodies, I' m not really a fan of horror movies either, even though I've seen a lot on these lists . You're braver than me, gbg cause with most of these scarefests, one viewing was enough - if not more than enough - for me Funny too that like you, I really like cop thrillers and mysteries of any kind- tv and movies both.
I knew that there are a lot of horror fans here on MoFo, and this horror countdown was going to happen eventually, so I had some time to think about it before it was announced. I always try to participate in these countdowns, and this is the best way that I could think of to give the horror genre a fair chance and hopefully be able to send in a full list of 25 movies instead of just a partial list.

So I can't really add much to the list, except going by your (very wise) requests - I think you may enjoy the eerie films of M Night Shyamalan like Sixth Sense, The Village and Signs.
I loved The Sixth Sense, but it's not tagged as "Horror" on IMDB, so it's not eligible for the countdown. I've seen The Village and Signs, and they were okay, but nowhere near as good as The Sixth Sense.

One other movie that is harrowing but not gory is a little mentioned film that sometimes pops up on
an ' oldies' movie channel- a psychological thriller/ mystery called
The House on Telegraph Hill.
I like it for the atmosphere, and that there's an underlying theme of the heroine who escaped the horrors of WW2
I looked up The House on Telegraph Hill, and it sounds like an interesting movie so I'll probably watch it eventually, but it's not tagged as "Horror" on IMDB, so it's not eligible for the countdown.

Another one you may like is a pretty well made movie starring my personal fave Harrison Ford -
What Lies Beneath
(I've rewatched that one several times. But not necessarily ......ah.....all the way to the end.)
I have the DVD of What Lies Beneath, (because it's a Harrison Ford movie), but I don't think I've ever watched it. It's on my watchlist for this countdown.

Well good luck on your viewing gbg- you're a braver gal than I. Alls I can say is if you find yourself in a hotel run by someone named Norman - and you're curious about what lurks in the next room -get out while you can. Whatever you do .... puhlease !!!! don' t open that door.
Oh ...n .....n .....n .....n ..... n nnnoooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!

😳

I haven't watched The Shining yet, but I think there may be worse things that happen in hotels than what Norman Bates did.

PS
Agree with @Citizen Rules on the Fly(1986) - a
horror ( more a sci fi ) movie that is quite touching. Romantic even. With Jeff Goldblum at his most strange and alluring best.

And agree on 1978 Invasion of the Body Snatchers . Also more of a sci fi film, and also buoyed by another talented
actor, Donald Sutherland. Who makes
it a ' thoughtful ' chiller and imho a must see.
A quick cameo by the star from the original Body Snatchers adds to the fun.

I've already mentioned that I've seen both version of The Fly, and that I prefer the Jeff Goldblum version.

I've also seen several versions of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. As I recall, the version with Donald Sutherland is very creepy.

Weird is relative.
There was one some of us watched in one of the 1930s HOFs - Mad Love.

There was one some of us watched in one of the 1930s HOFs - Mad Love.

I watched Mad Love when it was nominated in that HoF, mainly because it starred Peter Lorre. It was okay, but I doubt it will make my list.

the entity (1981)
They live (1987)
Prince of darkness ( 1987)
in the mouth of madness (1995)
the fog (1980)
the changeling (1981)

I saw A Bucket Of Blood recently. A very funny dark comedy by Roger Corman
I was thinking of that one but couldn't remember the title. Yeah that's a solid dark comedy/horror. Dick Miller is great as the unhinged artist.