Dustin Hoffman appreciation thread

Tools    

Oh, and back when I first made this thread, this wasn't available on YouTube, but the AMPAS has been putting a lot of terrific clips online, in recent years.

This is Dustin Hoffman's acceptance speech when he won Best Actor for Kramer vs. Kramer. If it's not THE best acceptance speech in Oscar history, it's certainly in the top ten...

And here's Dusty winning for Rain Man...

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoffman oscar.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	15690  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Tee-hee. I adore The Onion so...

Report: Majority Of Americans Know Which YouTube Clip They’ll Post Following Dustin Hoffman’s Death

PRINCETON, NJ—Confirming that a majority of the country is ready for when the time comes, a study released Tuesday by researchers at Princeton University found that 81% of Americans know exactly which YouTube clip they’ll post on social media upon Dustin Hoffman’s death. “Whether it’s a scene highlighting Hoffman’s versatility as a comedic performer in Tootsie, or the iconic closing sequence of The Graduate, our study found that four of every five citizens are poised and ready to share a video honoring the two-time Academy Award winner at a moment’s notice,” read the report in part, which noted that a significant portion of the populace already has plans to caption their links with either “RIP” or “We’ll never have another one like him.” “And while we found that the remaining 19% of Americans do not have a specific clip in mind for Dustin Hoffman’s passing, this is largely due to the fact that many of these individuals remain torn over which scene from Rain Man they would like to share, be it the famous Wapner scene, or the more touching kiss in the elevator, or another scene altogether.” The study follows a similar report released earlier this year that found that a mere 21% of Americans have a clip in mind for the eventual passing of Judd Hirsch.

http://www.theonion.com/articles/report-majority-of-americans-know-which-youtube-cl,37533
Attachments

Name:	youtube.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	18449   Click image for larger version

Name:	onion.jpg
Views:	610
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	18450  

I just watched that 1st clip up top of Hoffman winning for K Vs K and I noticed when mentioning the fellow nominees, he mentioned Robert Duvall who wasn't nominated, and omitted Roy Scheider. I wonder if that was a mistake? Also, it appeared that Hoffman and Lemmon were the only 2 out of the 5 nominees in attendance; that seems a bit unusual. I think I started watching the Oscars a couple years after that, and ever since I can remember, they played a clip of the film the actor was nominated for, rather than spotlighting previous work. Was that the norm years ago? Or is it just something they do sometimes? Also, Johnny Carson was great.

Dustin Hoffman is such a great actor, and I've only just began to discover his amazing works. Since I was first introduced to Hoffman with the likes of Meeting the Fockers I haven't exactly been looking for other works of this guy. But after watching him in his prime, god damn. Movies like Rain Man, Tootsie and Midnight Cowboy just elevates acting on a whole other level. Such a talented actor.

I just watched that 1st clip up top of Hoffman winning for K Vs K and I noticed when mentioning the fellow nominees, he mentioned Robert Duvall who wasn't nominated, and omitted Roy Scheider. I wonder if that was a mistake? Also, it appeared that Hoffman and Lemmon were the only 2 out of the 5 nominees in attendance; that seems a bit unusual. I think I started watching the Oscars a couple years after that, and ever since I can remember, they played a clip of the film the actor was nominated for, rather than spotlighting previous work. Was that the norm years ago? Or is it just something they do sometimes? Also, Johnny Carson was great.
Yeah, he did seemingly substitute Duvall for Scheider in his Kramer vs. Kramer Oscar speech. I am sure it was unintentional, and not a snub of Scheider. Duvall was nominated that year as Best Supporting Actor, for Apocalypse Now, and would get his first Best Actor nomination the following year for The Great Santini before winning a few years later for Tender Mercies. He could have just caught Duvall in his vision from the stage, perhaps? And certainly Duvall would have been in his mind as an actor he respects. Gene Hackman, Robert Duvall, and Dustin Hoffman were all good friends and sometimes New York City roommates as struggling actors in the early and mid 1960s. I suspect in his heartfelt speech, Bobby Duvall's name just slipped out. Or, he could have simply been referring to his friend not getting Best Supporting Actor, earlier in the ceremony? Melvyn Douglas won for Being There, over Duvall and Dustin's young Kramer co-star Justin Henry, which he had already acknowledged. His quote when he got to Duvall was not, "I refuse to believe I am a better actor than..." that he used with his fellow nominees in the category, but "I refuse to believe that Robert Duvall lost."

And while it is unusual now for three of the five nominees to be no-shows, it's not totally unheard of, either, back in the day. Some actors just plain don't go to those types of awards shows, even the Oscars. Peter Sellers at that point in his career was definitely one of them. Pacino was, as well. ...And Justice for All was Pacino's fifth nomination already, and of his previous four, he was only at the ceremony for one of them, when he was up for Serpico but lost to Jack Lemmon for Save the Tiger. At the 1975 ceremony (nominated for The Godfather Part II), he was again a no-show along with two other nominees, Albert Finney (Murder on the Orient Express) and Dustin Hoffman himself (Lenny), the year Art Carney won for Harry & Tonto.

Hoffman had been nominated three times, before his Kramer vs. Kramer win. He did attend the ceremony when he was nominated for The Graduate (Rod Steiger won, for In the Heat of the Night), but did not attend when he was nominated along with Jon Voight for Midnight Cowboy (John Wayne's win for True Grit), nor for Lenny.

But the '70s was an era of actors not showing up even when they won the award. The decade began with George C. Scott and Marlon Brando winning Best Actor for 1970 and 1972, respectively, but not attending. Brando's no-show, sending Sacheen Littlefeather in his stead to refuse the award, is the famous/infamous one, but two years before Scott refused to attend because he didn't believe in the concept of pitting actors against each other, as Hoffman elegantly addressed in his Kramer win. Patton's producer accepted the Best Actor Oscar for Scott. Peter Finch didn't attend when he won Best Actor for Network, but he had the ultimate excuse: he was dead.

Also, Hoffman was pretty well a foregone conclusion at that point, having won most of the other major awards of the season, which may have contributed to the others being less likely to show up just to lose, anyway?

But by the 21st Century, yes, it is very unusual for a nominee not to appear at the ceremony.

As for showing clips of the nominated performances before the award is announced, that is probably the norm, but nothing about the Oscar telecast is set in stone. Even when the same producers and directors are involved in the TV show multiple years in a row, they always tinker with it, ceremony to ceremony, including how clips are or aren't used. Also, when you see clips like this on Youtube, sometimes the film clips have been edited out, I believe for copyright reasons. But that doesn't appear to be what happened at the 1980 ceremony when Hoffman won his first Oscar.

And Johnny Carson was, indeed, great.

Attachments

Name:	No Shows.jpg
Views:	554
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	18456  

Thanks to Holden for the direction to this thread. Hoffman has always been my favorite actor, by quite a distance really. Enjoyed this thread and many great points were made. If I had to rank them...oof

1. Little Big Man
2. Rain Man
3. Lenny
4. Papillon
5. Death of a Salesman
6. Kramer vs. Kramer
7. Midnight Cowboy
8. The Graduate
9. Marathon Man
10. Straw Dogs
11. Tootsie
12. All the Presidents Men
13. Family Business
14. Barney's Version
15. Hero
16. Sleepers
17. Outbreak
18. Wag the Dog
19. I Heart Huckabees
20. The Focker franchise

He's an actor I usually enjoy. He has a certain laid-back nature to his performances that makes his characters feel real. Still, I think there are a lot of his "essentials" that I need to catch up with. This is what I've seen...

The Graduate
All the President's Men
Marathon Man
Rain Man
Outbreak
Sleepers
Wag the Dog
Runaway Jury
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

Dusty turned eighty-six today! Happy B-Day, Shorty.
Why Shorty?

1) He is short.
2) Elmore Leonard based the Martin Weir character in his novel Get Shorty on his experiences working with him (on a project that ultimately never got made, an adaptation of his novel La Brava).

Dustin Hoffman is such a great actor, and I've only just began to discover his amazing works. Since I was first introduced to Hoffman with the likes of Meeting the Fockers I haven't exactly been looking for other works of this guy. But after watching him in his prime, god damn. Movies like Rain Man, Tootsie and Midnight Cowboy just elevates acting on a whole other level. Such a talented actor.

If you haven't seen them Meditation, might I recommend Marathon Man and Wag the Dog?

One of my fav actors of all time, quickly put together a top 20, I have yet to see Ishtar and Lenny.

1. Rain Man
  2. All the President’s Men
  3. Straight Time
  4. The Graduate
  5. Marathon Man
  6. Midnight Cowboy
  7. Little Big Man
  8. Wag the Dog
  9. Straw Dogs
  10. Papillon
  11. Tootsie
  12. Sleepers