Dustin Hoffman appreciation thread

Tools    

Since he burst onto the scene in The Graduate, Dustin Hoffman has been one of the most durable and unlikely Hollywood stars. With his height at a generous 5'6" and not possessing what anybody would have imagined as "movie star looks", Dusty has been one of the most respected and successful actors of his generation, moving from comedy to drama and just about everything in between. Among his many accolades are two Best Actor Oscars (in seven nominations thus far), an Emmy, five Golden Globes, and the American Film Institute's Life Achievement Award. He has a reputation for being a pain-in-the-ass on the set, but apparently it has payed off, as when you look back over his long filmography it has more good films than lousy, and many are absolute classics.

The Graduate (1967) is often credited as being one of the first Hollywood films to tap into the Baby Boomer zeitgeist and present some of the uneasiness of the era that would explode just a year later in 1968. And while that is true and it will always be an interesting document very much of the times, I think the overall film is timeless, and the story of Benjamin Braddock is just as compelling and funny and relateable today as it was coming up on forty years ago. The screenplay and Mike Nichols' exuberant direction are top-notch, the Simon & Garfunkle on the soundtrack don't hurt none, and the main themes of alienation and the awkward transition into true adulthood ring true. But the enduring appeal of the movie will always be anchored to the performances of Anne Bancroft and Hoffman. Even a casual film fan will probably know the part of Ben was originally written to be a more stereotypical Southern Californian, like Robert Redford. Casting Hoffman totally against that idea was genius, and breathed a whole other layer into the film...as well as giving the cinema a new star.

But as popular and acclaimed as The Graduate was, had Hoffman been lazy and tried to keep that image of himself alive on screen, he may well have burned out within a few years and been little more than a trivia question today. His next major film was Midnight Cowboy (1969), where Hoffman's role as the ailing street scum Ratzo Rizzo is a completely different direction from Ben Braddock, and Dustin turned in another great performance. It's a tricky part, filled with histrionics that could have easily overwhelmed an actor, but he manages to play him broadly yet still show the humanity underneath. By the time he and Jon Voight's Joe Buck board that bus for Florida and the Harry Nilsson comes up on the soundtrack, you truly care about the fate of Enrico Salvatore Rizzo. Midnight Cowboy is even more of its time than The Graduate, but it's a powerful film that still holds up, and Hoffman's work is impressive as Hell. In only two films he was already showing off his range and refusing to be typecast or dismissed as an actor.

Throughout the decade of the 1970s, Hoffman continued to show his range and prove he had an eye for good projects. He wasn't infallible, and not all of them reached the level of Pop Culture saturation and importance of The Graduate and Midnight Cowboy, but they were mostly challenges and mostly triumphs of some kind.

The satirical Little Big Man (1970) is one of my all-time favorite films, Western or otherwise. Jack Crabb, the lone White survivor of Custer's Last Stand, is a great role for Dustin, aging on screen from a teenager to the 121-year-old man who tells us his story. Crabb meets all sorts of people on his adventures through the American frontier after his family and their wagon train are slaughtered by Indians, from religious zelots to hucksters to Wild Bill Hickock to General George Armstrong Custer, Crabb moves through this period of myth and history. But the most crucial time spent is with the Cheyenne tribe, who raise him as one of their own. I think Hollywood has still not presented a more human, honest, spirited portrait of Native Americans, especially as embodied by the great Cheif Dan George as Old Lodgeskins, the tribe's leader and Cobb's adopted grandfather. Amazing film, and Hoffman is wonderful leading the audience through the amusing ups and tragic downs of this farce mixed perfectly with very serious social commentary.

After that came one of his few blunders, the painful Who is Harry Kellerman and Why is He Saying Those Terrible Things About Me? (1971). An incongruous attempt at melding radical ideas and comedy in an altered state of distorted realities, it's a mess of a movie. Hoffman managed a couple good moments as a recording super star going mad, but the movie is a miss, plain and simple. Hardcore music fans of that era will enjoy Shel Silverstein's music and the brief moment Shel, Hoffman and Dr. Hook & the Medicine Show share a stage, but if you want to see the very definition of a badly "dated" movie, track down this flick.

However, also released that same year was Sam Peckinpah's Straw Dogs (1971), where Hoffman again chose a completely different kind of character than he had played before...and once again, he pulls it off seamlessly. Straw Dogs is the story of a mild-mannered American, David Sumner, who returns with his wife to her rural English hometown, assuming the pastoral vistas and quaint inhabitants will give him peace and quite to work. Events progress to the point where by the end of the picture, the meek David must defend his home and wife quite literally to the death. And being Peckinpah, you can bet that death is going to be brutal and bloody. The progression from Braddock to Ratzo to Crabb to Sumner would have been impressive if it had happened over a career of two decades, but this was all in the first FIVE YEARS, right out of the gate.

The next five years brought even more successes in the gritty Devil's Island epic Papillon (1973) with Steve McQueen, starring in the title role in Bob Fosse's 1974 tragic biopic of controversial comic Lenny Bruce, real-life Washington Post reporter Carl Bernstein to Redford's Bob Woodward in the excellent recounting of breaking the Watergate scandal in All the President's Men (1976), and a graduate student accidentally caught up in dangerous international intrigue involving Sir Larry Olivier's sadistic ex-Nazi, stolen diamonds, and dentistry gone awry in the thriller Marathon Man (1976).

One of my absolute favorite Hoffman performances came in another '70s classic, but this one seems to have been a bit lost in the shuffle over time. In Straight Time (1978 - Ulu Grosbard), Dustin is Max Dembo, who as the film opens we learn is a career thief just being released from prison after serving six years for burglary. He seems willing to go legit for once in his life, and after meeting a pretty young girl at the employment office, his holding down a square job and wanting for nothing more than someone to love looks as though it may even be attainable. But his sadistic and petty P.O. hassles and busts him again for next to nothing, and Max descends very quickly back to a life of crime. Although unlike his past crime sprees, this string is tinged with desperation, because now he has something to live for. Great character study, one of Hoffman's most controlled and low-key performances, and he's very convincing in this tale of a low-level scumbag. It's too bad Straight Time isn't more widely available and often discussed, because it's a damn good film. I gather at the time Hoffman's character was seen as much too unsympathetic, and it never enjoyed much critical or financial success even then. Oh, well.

Hoffman actually intended it to be his directorial debut, but a few days in he realized the acting part of the job was more important to him, and he called in his friend Ulu Grosbard to take over.

The very next year saw a return to incredible mainstream success with Kramer vs. Kramer (1979 - Robert Benton). As one of the first films to deal with the expanding issue of divorce in America, it seems more than a bit silly that the mother is cast as the irresponsible heavy and daddy the triumphant and sensitive hero, but this is a Hollywood film, and who do you think runs the place (especially in 1979) but a bunch of divorced men. But putting all that aside for a moment, Hoffman is extremely appealing as Ted Kramer, a busy and successful advertising executive who's world is shaken up when his wife leaves one evening...but doesn't take their young son with her. This forces the two men of the house to finally discover each other, and for Ted to rearrange his priorities in a hurry. When Mom (played by Meryl Streep) comes back in the picture months later and wants custody, it turns into a tear-jerker where the system can't acknowledge a father is potentially just as good or better a parent than a mother. What makes the movie work are not the dramatics, but Hoffman and little Justin Henry's performances.

Kind of ironically after over a decade of varied and challenging performances and three previous nominations (The Graduate, Midnight Cowboy and Lenny), Hoffman finally wins his Oscar, in a role that is much more ordinary than much of the work that came before it. Not that Dustin isn't very good and very compelling in Kramer vs. Kramer, it's just that the material isn't anywhere as radical or inherently interesting as some of his other work. But then, I guess it shouldn't be surprising that the Academy honored him for it, after all.

After working feverishly since 1967, in the '80s Hoffman took much more time selecting projects and has only four theatrical releases for the entire decade. But two of them are damned impressive. Tootsie (1982 - Sydney Pollack) is a crowd pleaser of a comedy about an actor named Michael Dorsey who decides to disguise himself as a woman, Dorothy Michaels, in order to get work. Very amusing stuff throughout, and written with much more depth than just a string of jokes about a man in drag, but if Hoffman wasn't able to bring a level of credibility to Dorothy, the movie would have crashed and burned no matter how intelligent the script or deft the co-stars. Once again, Hoffman was more than up to the challenge. He also should be commended for making fun of himself. The opening part of the film has the character he plays unable to find employment anymore on the stage or even, as his agent has to tell him (played perfectly by the film's director Pollack), in television commercials. He is too temperamental and picky about the craft for anyone to want the hassle of dealing with him. This was, and still is, Hoffman's reputation. That he skewered himself in Tootsie is very endearing to me. It's quite easy to imagine that if the break of The Graduate hadn't come and Hoffman stayed in New York that he might well have become Michael Dorsey.

By the way, as a sidenote to Hoffman's being difficult, Elmore Leonard's novel Get Shorty was inspired by his frustration in dealing with Dustin on a project (that was never ultimately produced). The self-obsessed jerk of a movie star character Martin Weir (played by Danny DeVito in the film) is based on Hoffman.

After Tootsie came a television project, where Hoffman starred in Arthur Miller's "Death of a Salesman" (made-for-TV 1985 - Volker Schlöndorff). Dustin is fantastic as Willy Loman, and the work rightfully earned him an Emmy. The next endeavor is a flop of almost epic proportions, and just the mention of the title is still a punchline in the industry: Ishtar (1987 - Elaine May). Co-starring Warren Beatty, he and Hoffman play Z-grade lounge singers without a single ounce of talent or wit between 'em who in a very convoluted turn of plotting wind up as patsys for the government in a Middle Eastern country. Ishtar was known as a flop before it even hit screens, as the budget spiraled way out of control, and the resulting film when it finally hit screens was greeted with critical jeers and audience indifference. Ishtar is not a good movie...but to be fair, if you give it half a chance, it isn't a disaster either. The deadpan sincerity that Hoffman and Beatty commit to as these two losers is fitfully amusing, Charles Grodin is actually quite funny in his supporting role, Isabelle Adjani is always easy on the eyes, and while this attempt to update the Hope & Crosby road movies doesn't really come off, it is watchable with some decent moments. If you had no idea it was supposed to be "one of the worst films ever made", you wouldn't have guessed it. Nor, after seeing it, will you have any idea where all the money went. But again, give it a shot sometime, it has its moments.

But the stink of that was washed right off of Hoffman with his next movie, playing an Autistic man reunited with his brother on a country-long road trip in Rain Man (1988 - Barry Levinson). Dusty would win his second Best Actor Oscar this time, in a performance that could have all-too easily slipped into hollow parody and naked thespian machinations. Helped immeasurably by the presence of Tom Cruise doing some of his very best work, Raymond Babbit is a character you can't forget, and every new generation that watches it falls in love with the guy all over again. Very endearing performance. The '80s finished with the disappointing Family Business (1989), which despite the star power of Hoffman, Sean Connery and Mathew Broderick in a caper film directed by Sidney Lumet, it all falls flat, flat, flat. Watchable, but you can't get over feeling there was a great movie somewhere in all this.

From the '90s to today, he has continued to work, some of it good, some of it bad. In the past decade he has become almost exclusively a supporting player, but just about always his performance is one of the best things about the flick in question. I really love his re-teaming with Levinson again for Wag the Dog (1997), as well as David O. Russell's I Heart Huckabees (2004) from last year, and I think Moonlight Mile (2002) and the Mamet adaptation American Buffalo (1996) deserved better fates than they got, box offixce wise. But even the silly turn Hoffman took toward the action genre in Outbreak (1995) is fun and fine, for what it is ("Have you seen this monkey?!?"). I am encouraged by Huckabees, especially, that he still has a few masterpieces left in him (Meet the Fockers, be damned) and wouldn't be at all surprised if he got his third and even fourth Oscars in the coming years.

Extremely unlikely that a man who looks like Dustin Hoffman could have made such a career for himself, but he's a damn good actor, and forever an interesting screen presence.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	gunfighter period.jpg
Views:	2274
Size:	34.0 KB
ID:	15262   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kellerman.jpg
Views:	2343
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	15263   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rain Man.jpg
Views:	2388
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	15677   Click image for larger version

Name:	fin.jpg
Views:	2340
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	15678  
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'd rank his best work as an actor...

1. Straight Time
2. Little Big Man
3. Lenny
4. Midnight Cowboy
5. "Death of a Salesman"
6. Rain Man
7. The Graduate
8. Tootsie
9. Wag the Dog
10. Straw Dogs

So what are your thoughts on the talents and career of Dustin Hoffman? What are some of your favorite or least favorite movies he's been in? What kind of characters do you like to see him play, what should he do less of? Anything and everything Hoffman.

Let's chat him up, shall we?

Attachments

Name:	straight.jpg
Views:	2181
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	15679  

Viddy well little brother
Hoffman is my all time favourite actor since I first saw Rain Man. Although I could question some of his more recent project choices, I stand by his ability and his legendary performances. My favourite role of his is Straw Dogs.

It's funny, as you posted this thread I was watching Little Big Man on TV. Weird, huh?

Anyway, I like Dustin Hoffman. He's not one of my favorite actors but I do appreciate his work. I like the way he makes me laugh in films that aren't actually funny. I laugh because I feel like I really know his character. His performance in Kramer vs. Kramer definitely deserved the Oscar, it just felt so real. I can't help but smile everytime I see him teach Billy how to ride his bike. But it's unfortunate that he didn't win it for Midnight Cowboy, which is another film where I felt really connected to him, and was almost weeping like a little girl at the end. But this is how I'd rank his performances that I've seen...

1. Midnight Cowboy
2. Rain Man
3. Kramer vs. Kramer
4. Little Big Man
5. Tootsie
6. The Graduate
7. Straw Dogs
8. Marathon Man

I've also seen Hook, but I'll just leave that one.

I need to see more of his films, don't I? I will do. I'll start with Straight Time.

By the way, nice thread.

Great thread Holds, I've always loved this guy. He's one of the most diverse and versatile actors of the past half century, IMHO. Here's my top five Hoffman perfomances:
  1. Midnight Cowboy (1969)
  2. Rain Man (1988)
  3. Papillon (1973)
  4. The Graduate (1967)
  5. Tootsie (1982)

Wow. This is a great write up, man. Thank you. I mean that. Dustin Hoffman is my favorite actor of all time. If I had a chance to sit down for a laid back conversation with any actor in the world, he’d be the one. Anyway…

The first movie I had ever seen Hoffman star in was Papillon. I was just a kid at the time, but knew even then, that he was an amazingly talented actor. I was a huge Steve McQueen fan at the time because I loved, loved, loved The Great Escape, but it also made me a die hard Hoffman fan to boot.

With the advent of VCR’s, I was able to really see his shine. Some of the first movies my mother and I rented on the old BetaMax format were Little Big Man, Midnight Cowboy, Kramer vs. Kramer, All the President’s Men, Marathon Man, and The Graduate. My mother and I loved them all. I knew then, even though I was young enough to count as my favorites, movies like BeastMaster and Up in Smoke, that Hoffman was my favorite actor. I have never changed my mind.

He reminds me a lot of Pacino and De Niro. That is, regardless of the film, whether it is a hit or miss, I can always count on at least him being good and entertaining. Even his worst performances are loads and loads better than some of the more popular actors of today. There are quite a few movies, beginning especially in the eighties, which are really not all that good, but I still kind of like them because he’s in them. Movies like Family Business, Ishtar, Hook (okay…I don’t like this one at all), Hero, Outbreak, Mad City (with the overrated Travolta taking star billing), Sphere, etc. If he weren’t in any of these films I just listed, I’d just completely forget about them. Sometimes, when he just has a cameo, his very presence can lend authenticity to a film, like say…The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. I know you don’t like that film as much as I do, but it was still cool to see him in it for those whole ten minutes.

Anyway, I could go on and on with the love for Hoffy, so I’ll just move on and list my ten favorite Hoffman performances.

I have never seen either American Buffalo or Straight Time. Guess what movies we’re watching at our next movie madness get together. Oh…and that Elliott Gould flick too.

BTW: If you ever feel inclined…I’d love to see you write an appreciation thread for him as well. There weren’t many cooler than Gould back in the 70’s.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

So many good movies, so little time.
My favorite performances

1. Tootsie
2. Rain Man
3. Lenny
4. Midnight Cowboy
5. Papillon
6. Straight Time
7. Wag the Dog
8. Straw Dogs
9. The Graduate
10. Little Big Man

My Favorite Movies

1. Rain Man
2. All The President's Men
3. Tootsie
4. Little Big Man
5. Marathon Man
6. Straw Dogs
7. The Graduate
8. Wag the Dog
9. Papillon
10. Kramer vs. Kramer

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

Another I forgot to mention when I galloped through the '90s at the end there is Hero (1992 - Stephen Frears) - a.k.a. Accidental Hero in the UK. I love that movie, and Hoffman is terrific as uber-loser Bernie Laplante, a third-rate grifter about to be sent to the joint when he happens upon a commercial plane crash outside the city. Very begrudgingly he wades into the tragedy and winds up saving a plane full of passengers, including Gena Davis' TV news reporter. But in the confusion of the night and desire to shuffle along, Bernie leaves the scene remaining anonymous. Later that morning he picks up a down-on-his-luck hitchhiker played by Andy Garcia. Through a series of circumstances, Garcia takes credit for the heroics. He cleans up real nice of course, and it turns out, unlike Bernie, he's actually a decent and outwardly caring man...who's just lying about this one thing. The rest of the movie is Hoffman's loser trying to claim credit and denounce Garcia. Great satire throughout, and Dusty is perfect as a kind of comic version of what Ratso Rizzo may have turned into had he managed to reach fifty.

It wouldn't sneak into my list of his ten best performances, but it's another one of his few real stand-outs from the 1990s, and a Hell of a lot of fun.

Attachments

Name:	Hero.jpg
Views:	2191
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	15680  

I didn't like that one nearly as much as you. It might have something to do with me never caring much for Andy or Geena. Oh well.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Fantastic initial post, Holds!

I haven't exactly studied Hoffman and his work on the screen, but no doubt he is one of the finest now living actors. Like De Niro he has slowed down and now running on auto-pilot which, as someone said, is reliable but not very exciting. (As with De Niro though I'm not watching every single movie with Hoffman in it nowadays).

I still have a few left to see out of those classics mentioned here. But overall, the 70s movies, display a wonderful sense of selecting the right projects and he seems to be very focused and inspired in all of them. I like Hoffman's style. Not very spectacular but very believable and real. Naturalistic. I'm trying to think of something negative to say about him, but it's hard. If there is something it's what I mentioned before about the auto-pilot. Just like De Niro (again) nowadays, I sometimes get the feeling that Hoffman is being Hoffman rather than the character he's supposed to be playing. Or it may be the fact that he is so established and I've seen him so many times that I know him pretty well by now. But I loved both him and De Niro in Wag the Dog.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Oh yes, and one more television part I'd mention is Dustin's guest voicing on an episode of "The Simpsons".

In the second season's "Lisa's Substitute" (original aridate April 25th, 1991) Hoffman is Mr. Bergstrom, an amazing, inventive, and caring teacher who takes over Lisa's class for a couple weeks when her regular teacher thinks she has contracted Lyme Disease. There's a great nod to The Graduate when Bart's desperate teacher tries to hit on him ("Mrs. Krabappel, you're trying to seduce me..."), but other than that reference he simply plays a great character free of gags, one of the first adults Lisa connects with and has a whale of a crush on. It's one of the primary and still one of the very best examples of how heartfelt a show "The Simpsons" can be, and how smart and honest it is with its emotions. The writing on that episode is fantastic, and it's helped greatly by having Dusty voice that crucial character.

That episode is available on DVD, on the second season set. And Hoffman is credited with a pseudonym. He was one of the first celebrities to lend their voice to the show, and wasn't sure if he should identify himself. I think it's pretty clear who it is, even if you didn't know it, but in the credits he is "Sam Etic"...like in semitic. Get it? Oy.

Attachments

Name:	Bergstrom.jpg
Views:	2221
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	15681  

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Oh yes, and one more television part I'd mention is Dustin's guest voicing on an episode of "The Simpsons".

It's one of the primary and still one of the very best examples of how heartfelt a show "The Simpsons" can be, and how smart and honest it is with its emotions. The writing on that episode is fantastic, and it's helped greatly by having Dusty voice that crucial character.
Smashing post Holds. I was just about to mention him in The Simpsons, its one of my favourite episodes, and i love it that youve highlighted just how smart and emotional the show used to be, Dusty is superb in it. I absoloulty adore the man, but unfortunatly i havent seen him in enough of his greatest roles that you list here, but as time goes on i'll get around to seeing him in all of these, even more so after reading this thread. Among my favourites are Hero, Tootsie, Rain Man, Outbreak, Marathon Man and Huckabees (Loved his hair in that last one).

forgot about hero

anyway, just wanted to mention one more voice over ...dustin did the narration for the original airing of the point before it was changed to ringo starr and later alan thicke...

history *is* moralizing
i just LOVED Little Big Man, it stroke me as i saw it and i was only a child the first time i did.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by chicagofrog
it stroke me as i saw it and i was only a child the first time i did.
Oh my. You really should tell the authorities about that.

Wow, Holden. What a great thread.

I would give you my thoughts but I need to see a lot more of these movies.

A system of cells interlinked
Just wanted to add a couple more tid-bits to Holden's magnificent thread.

- Hoffman was one of the first (maybe, the first) to be considered for the role of rick Deckard in Blade Runner. He was actually on the project working with Ridley Scott and the warly production team for about 6 weeks or so, befor both actor and director came to the conclusion that the role wasn't right fopr him. There was no grim falling out between actor and crew as his rep miught have you think. Both men just showed their commitment to being professionals and parted amiably. I think that speaks volumes about Hoffman's approach to making films. He is a true artist looking for the right projects, not some tagalong actor trying to get their name on whatever they can.

- I also notice no one has mentioned Dustin's best performance to date, the magnificent Sphere....

Yes, I am kidding. I can't watch his performance in this steamer without getting depressed. When he is sitting there saying"What does it all mean, Jerry" over and over and over and....well it just sucks.

Other than that I really like most of his work, and have always liked Marathon Man since the score scared the hell out of me as a child. I have yet to see Straw Dogs and Papillon.

If Its Got Large Pointy Teeth, RUN!
Rainman And Marathon Man are two of my all time favourite films. Hoffman is a fantastic actor.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I tend to chalk up the rumors of his being difficult on set to the fact that he's a stage actor, first, and that background tends to be both freer and more disciplined. In the bonus materials for The Graduate, he tells the story of pinching Katharine Ross' ass during his audition and how much it threw her. He also threw a few curves to Anne Bancroft, but she'd been around the theatrical block, so she just went with it.

I believe this because I've met a number of people who have met him in person and he's always impressed them as highly personable and a totally nice guy. There's a radio station here that was having a contest: who's the biggest celeb you can get to talk to the DJ's, and some guy happened to spot Hoffman across the street on Sunset Blvd. He ran over and asked him to talk on his cell phone to these DJ's and Hoffman did it. I doubt I'D do that for a stranger who charged across the street at me, and I'm nobody. heh