Help with 80's cartoon

Tools    

The doors of wisdom are never shut. - 'Socrates'
Hi guys and gals,

Hope you can help. I remember watching a cartoon in the 80's, all I can recall is:-

A long time ago on an alien world a natural disaster is threatening its population. In order to survive some of them have their
conciseness transfered into huge robots. Half of the people are good the other bad (as is always the case). Years later a group of humans travel to this world and reactivates them, again good humans and bad humans (I see a partern forming) they discover that if a human cohabits the robot bodys they can do all kind of cool things, changing into vehicles and such, which the robots by themselves can't do.

If you have any idea's what this is called I would appreciate it.

Good hunting moviebuffs.
Did you know that in the 1980s movie PREDATOR the titular character was not originally portrayed by Kevin Peter Hall. It was in fact Jean-Claude Van Damme donning a much more insect inspired full body suit before he left the production which then led to the recasting and redesigning of the famous hunter.

Lord of all Fevers and Plague
That sounds a lot like Scientology to me.

Kidding aside, you are talking about the Challenge of the GoBots.

My children have an old VHS movie about large robots. I bought it in the late 80's. It doesn't hurt to see. I'll go look for it, or see if they can remember it.

"I'll be back!"