The Green Knight

Tools    

If you can't see The Green Knight in a theater, you can stream it at home next Wednesday, 8/18.
Here's A24's website for more details.

I assume you mean it's too much, but I was pleasantly surprised by the price, since it just came out in theaters.

Interesting experiment, simulating an actual movie screening and all that with a narrow time window. Gotta hope it does well if only so we see more of this.

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
You mean you were about to see this in theaters and maybe now you'll just wait to see it at home?

No'sir. Deciding if I wanted to get out in the rain now for a near two-hour runtime on a work night.

WARNING: spoilers below
there are four five of us, total, in this cinema showing! I refuse to pay $20 for a one-time stream unless it's a digital copy. But I'd rather have a disc for this one I think. Still better than that Disney $30 bill! Partly, I just need a popcorn fix =\

You ready? You look ready.
$20 for a limited window stream is ridiculous. That price tag is the embodiment of greed.

We’ve got industry disrupting technology, a shift in the marketplace, and the Lords are wringing a dry sponge for a $20.

I got $5 on it. Not $20.

We went to a theater. I sorta liked it, but the level of medieval wierdness (the original poem is just as weird) sorta went past me. I felt like I'd like to see it again but I'd probably wait until I could stream it for less than a live theater price. Before then, I will brush up on the 14th century anonymous medieval romance, which was a fictionalized version of a peripheral character in the story of a king (Arthur) who was probably not medieval, if he existed at all, but may have been the last of the Romans, translated into a story for 800 years later. The one thing they all have in common is a big, scary green knight.

Maybe next time for Gawain.

I'm still willing to pay ticket value for the experience of a theatrical viewing. I admit sitting in a theater is near a religious experience for me, though. Even with the mobile screens and constant kneeing from the guy in the row behind me, there's just something therapeutic about a cathedral-housed silver screen.

As to the movie tonight, I loved it. It's stylized and has a bit of humor to it. I don't mean comedy! But subtle winks here and there to balance the dark journey. Gorgeous use of light, color, composition, long shots and framing transitions, and a beautifully odd score. It was long, but I only became aware of its length maybe twice. I feel that under different circumstances (and a different audience), I likely would not have noticed.

I don't remember details of this story from my old English lit. class some 20+ years ago so I can't speak to where it stays on or drifts off course, but what I experienced was near perfect to what I expected. I think if you accept the odd and the pacing presented in the trailer, then you should be good. A second viewing may degrade my opinion but considering I usually don't like movies on the first watch, I'm taking that as a positive.

Maybe if you put The VVITCH, The Fountain, parts of Ravenous, and bit of Silence through a blender, what comes out might be a cousin to The Green Knight. I can dig it.

'Twas very good.
t'weren't it so!?

"Ever try to forcibly pin down a house cat? It's not easy." - Captain Steel

"I just can't get pass sticking a finger up a dog's butt." - John Dumbear

I'm still willing to pay ticket value for the experience of a theatrical viewing. I admit sitting in a theater is near a religious experience for me, though. Even with the mobile screens and constant kneeing from the guy in the row behind me, there's just something therapeutic about a cathedral-housed silver screen.

As to the movie tonight, I loved it. It's stylized and has a bit of humor to it. I don't mean comedy! But subtle winks here and there to balance the dark journey. Gorgeous use of light, color, composition, long shots and framing transitions, and a beautifully odd score. It was long, but I only became aware of its length maybe twice. I feel that under different circumstances (and a different audience), I likely would not have noticed.

I don't remember details of this story from my old English lit. class some 20+ years ago so I can't speak to where it stays on or drifts off course, but what I experienced was near perfect to what I expected. I think if you accept the odd and the pacing presented in the trailer, then you should be good. A second viewing may degrade my opinion but considering I usually don't like movies on the first watch, I'm taking that as a positive.

Maybe if you put The VVITCH, The Fountain, parts of Ravenous, and bit of Silence through a blender, what comes out might be a cousin to The Green Knight. I can dig it.
Definitely thumbs up for the theater experience, especially if you have some venues that don't cater to the weekend date-night crowd. Being downtown with bright lights and food make it even better.

I loved the production and filming of the movie and, I'd guess that the script writers thought that they really had to reduce some of the seriously weird medieval elements of the original material. I can recall reading the original a long time ago and speculating that the unknown author must have had some of that rye bread with the ergot growing on it (produces something like LSD). Once we had a talking fox in the movie, I knew that hallucinogens must have been involved. I don't know if the fox was in the original text.

The whole environment of the original and the movie is strange, given the uncertainty of anything about an actual King Arthur. Generally, in regard to scenery, building, armor and costumes, movies place him someplace after the 13th century, but if there even was such a person, he would have lived far earlier than that. A Dark Ages, Sub-Roman version of the story (the likely historical setting) would be more amenable to all of the magical elements of the plot, including talking foxes and wizards that hadn't been burnt by the church, which plays a fairly peripheral role in the old story.

Anyway, being a fan of that sort of movie, I definitely want to see it again. From what popped up on my ad stream in Google, apparently on Aug 18, there will be a "one-time" streaming event.

So, good news/bad news.

Good news: The Green Knight will be generally available for streaming this Thursday, August 19th.

Bad news: that strongly suggests the whole "digital screening" thing did not go well in advance sales. Speaking of which, people who bought an advance ticket BEFORE they announced general streaming right after got kinda screwed. I was/am one of them, though I emailed them and they agreed to refund it (even though the site says no refunds).

My guess is they tried the screening thing as an experiment, didn't get many advance sales, then decided to just have it stream a mere 2-3 weeks after the theater release. At least they're doing right by the people who bought the advance tickets, though.

^agree.
This is one of those few recent movies that I think truly deserves to be experienced on the big screen. Too, it's really dark in some sections and the larger size may help in seeing details that might get lost on a smaller television. That's probably not worth it if one would rather stream it, but I have to say last Christmas I was able to catch Alien in theater and it blew me away. Even having seen that one a few dozen times over my life. So there's something to be said for that experience. If you can catch it at an unusual day/hour and maybe luck out and be the only one there? Wow. That should be a treat.

If I knew ANYONE local would want to see this, I'd buy their ticket just to have an excuse to go again.

EDIT
Facebook is kind of beating it to hell and back. I've seen a few adverts for like AMC for this showing and the 40-odd users that comment are complaining. One out of every 10 or more gives it praise with that random kat telling everyone they're not smart enough to appreciate it. sigh.

I'm not sure what people expect given the trailer.

I’ve seen this a few times, most recently last night. I really like it - not among my favourites (yet), but I like it better each time. I was reading around last night and came across an interpretation that suggests
WARNING: spoilers below
Morgana orchestrates the whole thing to give her son the “purpose”/honourable conquest he craves. There are certain elements which I think support this reading, such as the Lady being a more appropriate version of Essel that Gawain could conceivably marry (obv. both being Alicia) etc. I tend to see the reading as quite convincing and valid, if not inevitable. However to me that also takes the “fun” out of the whole thing as it almost makes the “adventure” self-defeating if he was never in real danger, never likely to die and so on? Hence even the Lord of the castle says with confidence that he knows Gawain will come back alive etc. Doesn’t that mean that unlike Odysseus, he never has any agency and that there are no stakes?

What do people think?

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
There’s too much that I didn’t get about the movie to even answer. There is still no explanation I’ve found on why he would set off on a suicide mission, other than youthful ignorance.

This movie is made for YouTube clips. It didn’t work for me as a whole, but individual scenes are memorable.