Cinema Gimmickery (IMAX, 3D, 4DX, 270° Screens etc)

Tools    

Thought it might be interesting to see, compare & share opinions and/or experiences regarding the various forms of gimmickery used to get people into the cinema nowadays.

These include, but are not limited to:

IMAX
3D
4DX
Screen X (the 270° screens/auditoriums)
Premium Seating etc
VIP/Gold Class etc

• When you go to the cinema do you ever use any of these?
  • If so, which?
  • Does it enhance the experience or is it a distraction?
  • Are there films that benefit from this?
  • Or as a viewing experience?
  • Are you interested in trying any of these, as a novelty or for special function etc?
  • Are there films that you'd wished some of this technology had been around for?
  • Is it worth it for the additional costs to a standard ticket?

Discuss

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
I've actually enjoyed the visual effects of a lot of 3D movies. Sometimes I'll pay the upgrade just because I know the theater will have less people than the non-3D version. I've gotten to where I see it more as paying a premium for a bit more privacy and considerably less distractions.

We don't have IMAX near us so I can't comment.

We have AMC tiers but forgot what it's called. If you pay the fee you get access to a special line to the concession stand to buy tickets and whatever. So your line gets called over general audience lines. If a register opens, anyone in that line will be called even if they just walked up and the other line has waited 10 minutes.

The problem is, people just go to that line because it's shorter, constantly getting service first over everyone else. But staff never checks their actual account to confirm they've paid for the feature. So it's kind of pointless to pay for when you can just cut lines that way.

So that usually puts me in a right foul mood right off the bat.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I've actually enjoyed the visual effects of a lot of 3D movies.

My brain seems to readjust and I don't notice the 3D after the initial moments.

Sometimes I'll pay the upgrade just because I know the theater will have less people than the non-3D version. I've gotten to where I see it more as paying a premium for a bit more privacy and considerably less distractions.

We don't have IMAX near us so I can't comment.

We have AMC tiers but forgot what it's called. If you pay the fee you get access to a special line to the concession stand to buy tickets and whatever. So your line gets called over general audience lines. If a register opens, anyone in that line will be called even if they just walked up and the other line has waited 10 minutes.

The problem is, people just go to that line because it's shorter, constantly getting service first over everyone else. But staff never checks their actual account to confirm they've paid for the feature. So it's kind of pointless to pay for when you can just cut lines that way.

So that usually puts me in a right foul mood right off the bat.

The AMC here has basically stopped manning the ticket booth and uses the concession line for the tickets. That's where the AMC A-list line fiasco comes in to play. It is a poorly executed program here as well. The "golden row" usually gets filled because the line for the reggies is already backed up. More often or not it's the elder people. You know the ones. They arrive in a crowd of 4 or more and stop in front of the door. They are all wearing looks of puzzlement and confusion, trying to decide what the next step in this journey is.

Standard IMAX is not a gimmick ime. The picture is better, screen is bigger and the sound is

I enjoy it. A sad story I tell is about the John Wick being shown in IMAX. I'm pretty sure none of that movie was filmed in IMAX, but oh' boy the sound. One of my favorite movie moments is him in the Mustang on the airstrip playing through that IMAX sound system.

I don't know if it is a response to demand or something else, but the IMAX theater here has cut back the IMAX 3D showings and now offers more IMAX standard showings.

The system here doesn't have a dedicated express aisle at the concession stand for Unlimited passholders, and at most cinemas have also foregone the use of the dedicated box office, so customers either obtain tickets through the use of automated machines or purchase at the concession stand.

My daughter and I on occasion do go to 4DX screening, not that that the 3D aspect does much for me, but sometimes the other elements of the 4DX (moving seats, wind, spray, scent etc can enhance the movie experience, on other occasions distract.

If Im going to the movies by myself though my only concern is, is the session audoi described, which it usually is.

Years ago when I was still living in Australia, with some friends from work we would make a gold class trip, for example, each year for each of the Lord of the Rings films when they were coming out. That was quite an expensive experience, where among other benefits could order drinks and food before the film to be delivered to your seat throughout the film. So for example ordering a whiskey every 1/2hr or a snack etc halfway through etc, with the reclining armchairs and tables besides the seats, and done in such a way that no view was ever obstructed which was quite the surprise. It really was gold class, but to say the least, you paid for the experience. I don;t know if that still exists, but it was a unique experience and for such epic long movies i had no regrets about that, especially when could afford it.

Not a fan. Honestly the main reason I consider any kind of IMAX thing (it's LIEMAX at the nearest theater, but I digress) is so it'll be loud enough that I won't hear other rude moviegoers around me talking. I've never enjoyed a movie more because it was in 3D or anything.

Not a fan. Honestly the main reason I consider any kind of IMAX thing (it's LIEMAX at the nearest theater, but I digress) is so it'll be loud enough that I won't hear other rude moviegoers around me talking. I've never enjoyed a movie more because it was in 3D or anything.
Why LIEMAX? Real IMAX the half-dome screen?

I think it's meant to encompass anything that's bigger and louder but not to the original IMAX standards. I still consider things to be IMAX if they're not domed/surround/whatever, but the one nearest here was just bigger and louder and clearer, but still partway between a normal screen and what would normally be considered IMAX, apparently.

I did see a genuine IMAX film when I was much younger; it was a documentary at the Carnegie Science Center.

I'm old fashioned, so I like 2D, flat screen. However the original CinemaScope wide screen format was something to behold. It was really impressive, especially to see something like Lawrence of Arabia in wide screen.

It'll never come back because the screen requires too much space. Now at the movies the screens aren't a whole lot bigger than large home screens... But I suppose if they couldn't get away with smaller screens and multiplexes, there wouldn't be many theaters left.

~Doc

Years ago when I was still living in Australia, with some friends from work we would make a gold class trip, for example, each year for each of the Lord of the Rings films when they were coming out. That was quite an expensive experience, where among other benefits could order drinks and food before the film to be delivered to your seat throughout the film. So for example ordering a whiskey every 1/2hr or a snack etc halfway through etc, with the reclining armchairs and tables besides the seats, and done in such a way that no view was ever obstructed which was quite the surprise. It really was gold class, but to say the least, you paid for the experience. I don;t know if that still exists, but it was a unique experience and for such epic long movies i had no regrets about that, especially when could afford it.
I forgot about those theaters! We don't have anything like that here but last I was in Houston, Texas, I got to experience that for the first time. The theater was set up mostly the same only the seats were spaced in pairs with a small table in front, mounted between the paired seats. The table had a small device with a button to call a server.

The space between rows was maybe twice the distance or more of normal theaters so servers had plenty of room to walk in carrying trays of whatever you order so that was very comfortable. We ordered a pitcher of beer and a pizza. That was pretty cool. And oddly, not at all distracting. That could have been the affect of having food and drink at your convenience. Plus all the ample foot space.

I think the Alamo Drafthouses are set up like this.

I get the draw of extra services, but I can't say they appeal to me. When I go see a movie, it's like driving. Eyes forward, concentrating on what's in front of me, maybe a non sequitur to the person next to me.

For the right movie, I do love me some 3D and IMAX.

Some movies feels made for 3D, like Avatar. It is all about that experience and the 3D enhances that. It takes you into that world.

Same for IMAX. Some movies are huge events where the wider screen can truly serve a purpose. I saw Avengers: Engame in IMAX first and then my second viewing of it in regular. The IMAX aspect ratio and overall experiences really served the movie well and the "big event" that it is/was.
But personally I much prefer a great Dolby Atmos theater to an IMAX theater... But sometimes when "that movie" comes along that's just fitted for IMAX then I will probably see it in that.

I think the Alamo Drafthouses are set up like this.

I get the draw of extra services, but I can't say they appeal to me. When I go see a movie, it's like driving. Eyes forward, concentrating on what's in front of me, maybe a non sequitur to the person next to me.

Oh for sure. That was cool for Anchorman. But I doubt I would go there for Parasite. Prolly end up punching a waiter or throwing a drink at someone for talking.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
There are dozens of LieMAx screens around me and some of my friends don't care, but if I'm paying extra to see something in IMAX, I'm seeing it in REAL IMAX!!!!

Suspect's Reviews