Optimus Reviews

→ in
Tools    

I still remember watching it for the first time. Amazing stuff and the scenes in Tina's bedroom and Glen's bedroom were burned into my mind from that moment till this.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I still remember watching it for the first time. Amazing stuff and the scenes in Tina's bedroom and Glen's bedroom were burned into my mind from that moment till this.
I kinda laughed at Glen's bedroom scene when i recentley watched it. I thought his outfit was hilliarious. He had some belly top on .

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Starred Up
Directed By: David Mackenzie

My next review is 2013's British prison drama Starred Up. This may be a movie many of you have never heard off, but it's a very well acclaimed movie by critics and festivals and currently holds a 99% fresh rating on rotten tomatoes. I only found out about this movie myself when I was flicking through the television one night board and came across it, and ime glad I did. Starred up is a very violent movie with some very powerful performances. It has an excellent cast and a very strong story. Some of you may have also noticed it went straight into my top 100 favourite movies, so I personally rate this movie very highly.

One thing that audiences and critics have praised about this movie is the performance of young rising star Jack O'Connell. You may recognise this young star from Angelina Jolie's Unbroken, or tv series Skins. He's tipped to be a huge star and this movie showcases just why. He sort of reminds me of a young Tom Hardy, and his performance in Starred up is quite similar to Hardy's performance in Bronson. Both actors carry them selfs very well and both have a very similar body language. Jack O'Connell also bagged him self BAFTA award for rising star this past year, as well as countless other british awards so he's certainly making a name for himself.

Director David Mackenzie really knows how to build up tension in this movie. The first 5 minutes where our young convict is signed into prison is quite a powerful scene and yet there are no words really spoken. The scene feels like where along side him, and you get a feeling of what it would be like to be put in prison, the scene is captured very cleverly. Mackenzie also knows how to deliver on the violence. The movie flows rather nicely but when things do kick off there certainly delivered with mayhem and power. Mackenzie Aldo deserves a lot of credit for casting O'Connell. I know I've mentioned his performance above, but he really is the star of this movie.

Overall Starred Up was one of my favourite movies of 2013. It's great cast, great script, and really fine performances make it a film you really must see. Actually writing this review makes me think i should of placed Starred Up even higher in my top 100 favourites, great movie.
Your review of this movie has me intrigued enough to add it to my watchlist.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
A Nightmare On Elm Street (2010)
Directed By: Samuel Bayer

The Story
The story is pretty much the same as the original Nightmare On Elm Street (well it is a remake). The local children of Elm street are hunted down in their dreams and killed. And If you die in your sleep, then you die in real life. The problem here is, everything that made the original a horror classic has been ripped apart. The story dives right into Freddy Krueger's back story - which i hated. It also try's to be to serious, taking away the campness and humour of the original Nightmare On Elm Street. The deaths are weak, and the story is very poorly written.

The Cast
The cast are awful, and the charcters are awful, i truly didn't care about any of them. I hated Jackie Earle Haley as Freddie Krueger. I hated his look, i hated the fact he talked so much, and i hated the seriousness of the character. The rest of the cast are your average teenage actors what you'd expect to see in a horror movie these day's. You know the one's i mean right?. Your typical dull, screaming, and annoying teenagers that would give Freddie Krueger nightmares.

Movie Trivia: Johnny Depp accompanied his friend Jackie Earle Haley to auditions for A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984). Instead of Haley being chosen for a role, it was Depp who was spotted by director Wes Craven, who asked him if he would like to read for a part. Depp got a part in that film, Haley didn't, but Haley would go on to play Freddy in this remake 26 years later.

For his big scene in the opening sequence, Kellan Lutz chose not to sleep for a few days to get himself into character.

Wes Craven was reportedly not approached about this remake. He has however publicly spoken against it.
Movie Highlight
My movie hightlight would have to be the opening 10 minutes of the movie. Its set at the local diner were we meet a young teenager called Dean. Straight away we find out Dean is struggling with nightmares and he's terrified of falling asleep incase Freddie gets to him. Straight away, this character is the only character in the entire film were i got a sense of fear. The scene itself was very frightening, and when Dean is murdered, its done so in very violent fashion. This scene really captured the horror of Krueger. The setting was great, the horror was there, and the scene was very intense, infact - the movie felt like i was watching A Nightmare On Elm Street. Unfortunately the title hits our screen and all of the above it taken away. What follows is cheap scares, a poorly written story, and a total rip off of what Elm street is all about.

Verdict
Overall this movie is a pathetic attemp of a Elm Street remake. Everything that made the original the horror classic it is has been ripped apart. -- Why change something that worked so well?. Honestly ime sick of writing about this garbage now.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Nice review Suspect. I see you liked Freddy Krueger tho?
Obviously he doesn't hold a candle to Englund, but I think he did a decent enough job with the character. It's hard to do something a bit different (he had to) from a performance that's been done by one actor for decades. People feel the need to hold Englund up in high praise and immediately disregard anyone trying to do something new or different with the role. Good or bad, it was required. No way should he have done an Englund rehash.

I'm no die-hard of the series either, so that has an opinion on the matter.

It still would have been a bad movie if Robert Englund had played Freddy. Although, possibly it would have been a lot more tolerable.

I'm not sure if the new guy was necessarily bad... (been too long since I've seen it, can't remember) ... but a new actor playing Freddy doesn't help this thing. I really think there can be a great Nightmare remake or whatever with a new Freddy. I think it's possible. But this movie was a sad joke.

You should rewatch and review it Sexy. I'd be happy to read how you see it in your crazy mind.
Well... the last time I tried to rewatch it, I got bored and frustrated and shut it off. Maybe I'll review one of the other movies, but I've already reviewed a few of them.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Well... the last time I tried to rewatch it, I got bored and frustrated and shut it off. Maybe I'll review one of the other movies, but I've already reviewed a few of them.
Yeah, ive read the one's you reviewed. I liked your review on
The second movie - pretty funny.