Optimus Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Movie Highlight
My movie hightlight of The Orphan has to be the ending. Its a very clever twist which i did not see coming. The ending really delivers that shock moment that horror movies need and this movie delivers that perfectley.

Things I Like
I think i enjoyed this movie so much because it wernt scared to push the boundarys. There where some moments that i thought where a little disturbing and i thought the movie as a whole was very brave. I also liked the whole setting of the movie. The location, the characters, the look and feel, everything added to the suspense and horror of the story.
I agree. I saw most of the film a few weeks ago and I thought the big reveal was terrifying.

WARNING: spoilers below
It's one of those moments where you're thinking where is this going!? What it ends up being is all the more hideous because it's believable, and I did not see it coming.

Also I felt the same way about the boundary-pushing. I found a lot of it very uncomfortable, and I thought the young actors were really good. I remember I wasn't mad keen on the dialogue for the adults – I think that was the only downside.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Nice review.

Mad Max Fury Road is my favorite movie of last year as well. If I ever get around to redoing my personal top 100, it'll rank pretty high.
My friends all hated it so its strange to see the love it recieves on here.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

You should get some new friends. Preferably ones that think Mad Max: Fury Road is a good movie

I saw it with my mom the first time and she hated it, too. I've seen it six times already - three of which were in the theater. It's just so much fun and such an adrenaline rush, I don't understand the hate.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Shaun Of The Dead
Directed By: Edgar Wright

The Story
The story is basically a sitcom off all the horror zombie movies out there. Its a horror with a splash of comedy which weirdly enough works very well. It still has all the traits of a horror movie, yet all the laugh's of a comedy and the story really is fun to watch.

The Cast
The cast are fantastic. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are a great comedy double act. They seem the unlikeliest of friends yet they bounce of each other perfectly. Ive seen them star alongside each other in Paul, and Hot Fuzz, but this is easily my favourite movie of theirs.

Movie Trivia: George A. Romero, creator of the films that this movie pays homage to and lampoons, was so impressed with Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright's work that he asked them to appear in Land of the Dead (2005), the fourth part of his Dead series, in cameos as zombies.

Nick Frost (Ed) allegedly kept his genitals shaved throughout the production to create a genuine need to scratch that the character demanded.

Quentin Tarantino dubbed Shaun of the Dead (2004) one of the top 20 films made since 1992.
Movie Highlight
My favourite scene in this movie has got to be the zombie in the garden scene. The scene is absolutley hillarious and had me in stitches laughing. They throw everything but the kitchen sink at some poor woman who they notice has turned into a zombie and its just comedy.

Verdict
Overall Shaun Of The Dead is a great film. The cast are great, and the comedy is spot on. Its a movie ive seen numerous times now and i still enjoy it with every viewing.

You have seen it 6 times?, haha. Ive seen it twice and both times where just non stop excitement.
Yep. Three times in the theater and three times on bluray. I'm sure it won't be long before I make it seven times.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
John Wick
Directed By: Chad Stahelski

The Story
If ime honest i thought the whole story was pretty stupid. John Wick (Keanu Reeves) an Ex hitman goes on a crazy killing spree hunting down the guy's that killed his beloved dog, seriously... His dog. Okay, i know the dog was a gift left from his dead wife to keep him company, but c'mon he had the dog about a day. I don't know why the story just didn't focus on having his wife being murdered, i mean.. the story involves her being dead anyway and it would certainly justify John Wick killing 60,000 people with 60,000 bullets.

The Cast
The cast are bad. Keanu Reeves used to be one of my favourite actors around a couple of years ago, well.. before he grew that patchy beard and before his face looked like a badgers ass anyway. I loved Speed, Point Break, The Matrix, and even Constantine. But since Constantine Reeves has made nothing that ive been remotely interested in, and John Wick is a perfect example of the crap he's been starring in lately.

Movie Trivia: According to Keanu Reeves, he did 90% of his own stunts in the film.

According to the directors' commentary, when they shot the top-level nightclub fight sequence Keanu Reeves had the flu and was running a 104° Fahrenheit fever.

The film reunites actors Keanu Reeves, Daniel Bernhardt, Randall Duk Kim along with producers-directors Chad Stahelski and David Leitch, all of whom were involved in The Matrix Trilogy.
Movie Highlight
If i had to highlight something positive about John Wick then i'd have to say the action was pretty good. Its extremely violent, with non stop action throughout. Which is wierd because thats something i really enjoy from a movie, but due to its weak ass story the movie just feels to silly and to over the top.

Verict
Overall i just don't understand the praise and love this film receives. It does have some nice action, but the movie falls flat on its face because of the silly over the top story.

Great reviews on Mad Max and Shaun of the Dead, I love those movies as well.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
The Revenant
Directed By: Alejandro gonzález ińárritu

The Story
With a running time of over 2 hours and 30 minutes The Revenant is long winded. I'd like to say that the movie flows nicely and that the running time is well paced but it isn't. The story is great, and the movie is visual stunning catching nature at its very finest, but The Revenant certainly drags its feet through the snow. I honestly feel like this movie could of cut 30 minutes of its running time by just cutting landscape shots out alone. I get that some of the shots are beautiful, and that they certainly make the film the visusl masterpiece it is, but i thought they where a little to much at times.

The Cast
The cast are fantastic. Both Leonardo Dicaprio and Tom Hardy are exceptional. Watching Leonardo Dicaprio's character Hugh Glass in full survivor mode doing everything he can to survive was gripping, exciting, and truly fascinating. Now, as much i loved Dicaprio's performance and as much as he deserves the praise he's receiving it was Tom Hardy's character that stole the show for me. His character John Fitzgerald is one horrible, evil, scum of the earth scumbag. Hes the worst of worst and Tom Hardy nails it down to perfection. Oscar's are certainly heading there way.

Movie Trivia:Due to production being behind schedule, the snow melted during the location shoot in Canada before filming was complete. With summer rapidly approaching, there was no choice but to relocate the entire production to southern Argentina, where there were similar wintry conditions.

Leonardo DiCaprio had to devour a raw slab of bison's liver, even though he is vegetarian. He also had to learn to shoot a musket, build a fire, speak two Native American languages (Pawnee and Arikara), and study with a doctor who specializes in ancient healing techniques. DiCaprio calls it the hardest performance of his career.

Tom Hardy has stated that he doesn't read scripts. At one time, he was due to star in Splinter Cell (2017). He wanted to play a soldier in that film, but Leonardo DiCaprio begged him to read the script for this movie. Hardy read half the script and accepted the role.

Tom Hardy was concerned about the safety of some of the stunts he had to do, which caused friction between him and director Alejandro González Ińárritu before Ińarritu allowed Hardy to choke him in return. Later, the image of Hardy strangling Ińarritu was immortalized in a T-shirt gifted by Hardy to all members of the crew, at the end of the shoot.
Movie Highlight
My movie highlight has to be the bear attack scene. Its such a powerful and very disturbing scene that showcases just how powerful wildlife really is. I was hiding behind my hands listening to the screams of Leonardo Dicaprio thinking of how aweful it would be to die or be in a position like that. It really is a very powerful scene and really sets the movie on its way.

Verdict
Overall The Revenent is a fantastic movie with some exceptional performances. The movie looks amazing but its slow pacing really hurts the story in my opinion. Some scenes are very pointless and sometimes i found myself getting a little restless and a little bored of the cameras wondering eye. Still tho, great movie.

Nice review. I also thought Hardy gave a stronger performance than DiCaprio, though that won't make me any less glad to see Leo finally get an Oscar. I also agree about the length and pacing.

The bear scene actually bothered me. Compared to what I've seen in other films, the CG was good, but it still stuck out to me as being obvious against all that breathtaking natural imagery.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Nice review. I also thought Hardy gave a stronger performance than DiCaprio, though that won't make me any less glad to see Leo finally get an Oscar. I also agree about the length and pacing.

The bear scene actually bothered me. Compared to what I've seen in other films, the CG was good, but it still stuck out to me as being obvious against all that breathtaking natural imagery.
I agree. The bear scene does stick out like a sore thumb against all the other beautiful shots, but its still so powerful. If i ever imagined what getting attacked by a bear would be like then it would be exactly like that. I felt like i was there with him, getting tossed around.

Nice review Optimus! I enjoyed reading it. I liked the bear scene especially the bear licking him in the face after he had been attacked. That seemed to be just what a bear would do. It was a nice touch in the film. Bears are scary if you run into one, luckily I haven't.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I don't know what type of bear is in the movie, but this is what your meant to do if a bear attacks you

How to Survive a Black Bear Attack

Carry bear pepper spray. As with the grizzly bear, bear pepper spray should be your first line of defense in a bear attack.

Stand your ground and make lots of noise. Black bears often bluff when attacking. ...

Don't climb a tree. Black bears are excellent climbers. ...

Fight back.

Hahaha, ermmmm nope. I'll run, freeze, or cry.

They called it a Grizzly bear in the movie but the CG bear looked like a Black bear. Yup I have a giant can of Bear Pepper spray that I take with me if I go out in the woods.

I thought The Revenent was pretty good. Ok it could've been a little shorter, but I didn't feel bored at all. The only bit of the film that took me out wasn't the bear, it was the herd of bison. It was like Inarritu took a piece of an Attenborough wildlife docu and just plonked it into the film without any attempt to make it look like it fitted.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I thought The Revenent was pretty good. Ok it could've been a little shorter, but I didn't feel bored at all. The only bit of the film that took me out wasn't the bear, it was the herd of bison. It was like Inarritu took a piece of an Attenborough wildlife docu and just plonked it into the film without any attempt to make it look like it fitted.
That scene was very out of place. There where alot of moments i felt like i was watching a Attenborough documentary. Like the scene where they where crossing the river and the camera then focused on the water dropping down the waterfall.