Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

My biggest complaint was the decision to do a voice over, omnipotent narrator...aka the Grim Reaper. I suppose this was done in the novel too. But every time the Grim Reaper narrator spoke, it took me out of the film, it was very distracting. The film would have had a nicely done ending if they hadn't shamelessly done product endorsement by showing a close up of an Apple computer logo.

I purchased the book but I haven't had the time to get very far into it. Comparing the two, I agree with you that Death's narration did not translate as well in the movie as it has so far in the book.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

Thanks Funny Face, my wife really liked the film too. I was just now watching the deleted scenes, they were even good

I think in general people don't like narration done on a film. Especially if the narrator is an omnipotent third person. I could be wrong about that.

Thanks for the info! I'll have to get the movie again from the library. I don't watch deleted scenes very often but I liked The Book Thief enough to check them out.

The film would have had a nicely done ending, if they hadn't shamelessly done product endorsement by showing a close up of an Apple computer logo.
Well, it's not like they could've gotten IBM's permission, is it?

Stranded (2013)

Director: Roger Christian
Cast: Christian Slater, Amy Matysio, Michael Therriault
Genre: Horror-Thriller-Sci Fi

Premise: Four members of a lunar mining base are stranded on the Moon when a meteorite shower damages their power supply, cutting off their oxygen. One of the meteors contains alien spores that escapes containment.

Review: Stranded is a typical sci-fi thriller horror film. Don't expect anything too different. In some ways it feels like a lunar version of Aliens. Many of the scenes are predictable, but so what? If you like this kind of movie, it delivers the goods. The story premise that the CO2 gas is building up in the lunar base causing paranoia and delusions, is a good plot twist device. We don't know if it's the gas or the spores, that's to blame for what's happening.

The set's are small as they are inside the lunar base buildings with dimly lit, twisting corridors and dark rooms. It's a good set to move the story along, it looks foreboding! Christian Slater is the commander who's hell bent to follow procedures. I thought he was fine in this role. The rest of the actors were good too.

I liked this movie for what it was, fun escapement thrills. It's not deep and it doesn't try to be anything other than a thriller sci-fi.

+
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stranded (2013).jpg
Views:	128
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	48315  

The Big Combo (1955)

Director: Joseph H. Lewis
Cast: Cornel Wilde, Richard Conte,Jean Wallace,Brian Donlevy, Jean Wallace, Lee Van Cleef, Earl Holliman
Genre: Film Noir

Premise: Police Lt. Leo Diamond (Cornel Wilde) is a righteous man who's frustrated that his efforts are failing to bring down a notorious crime boss, Mr Brown (Richard Conte). The police chief orders Diamond to stop his investigation as it's costing tax payers too much money. Diamond then decides to switch tactics and pressure the mob boss's girl, Susan (Jean Wallace) for information.

Review: The Big Combo is one of the best examples of film noir cinematography. It oozes ambiance, set by the dramatic dark shadows, the low key lighting and dramatic compositions. The film is unique in that we learn what drives not only the detective (Cornel Wilde) but also the inner thoughts of the bad guy, Mr Brown (Richard Conte).

There's an underlying exposition in the movie exploring what it means to be a man and to be on the top of the game. We see Mr Brown dehumanizing his former boss (Brian Donlevy) who has sunk to number two position in the crime organization. Donlevy is older and wears a hearing aid, which Brown screams into the transmitter to inflict suffering on him. Brown also taunts the cop through out the movie, calling him 'small change'.

Quote from movie:
(Mr Brown speaking): Diamond, the only trouble with you is, you'd like to be me. You'd like to have my organization, my influence, my fix. You can't, it's impossible. You think it's money. It's not. It's personality. You haven't got it. You're a cop. Slow. Steady. Intelligent. With a bad temper and a gun under your arm. With a big yen for a girl you can't have. First is first and second is nobody.

The casting for this movie is excellent. Richard Conte the untouchable crime boss who never gets his hands dirty is excellent as an intelligent antagonist. Cornel Wilde is very good at playing a respectable righteous cop who is frustrated by the system.

I found the movie to be very different than most film noirs.

Attachments

Name:	The Big Combo (1955).jpg
Views:	332
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	48316  

The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014)

Director: Wes Anderson
Writer: Wes Anderson
Cast: Ralph Fiennes, Tony Revolori, F. Murray Abraham, Mathieu Amalric
Genre: Whimsical, Adventure, Comedy, Drama

Premise: The fanciful story of M. Gustave, who's the head concierge at the world renown Grand Budapest Hotel, and the story of his newest employee, a refugee named Zero. The Grand Budapest hotel is frequented by the rich and well-to-do and located in a fictional European country called Zubrowka.

Review: I have high praise for Ralph Fiennes portrayal of the well groomed, M.Gustave. A man with impeccable taste and civility who demands the best from those around him. This was a great character idea! I can't image another actor in this role, he's amazing.

His sidekick the new lobby boy is played by the young actor Tony Revolori. This was his first feature film and he nailed his performance. His quiet sincerity provides the perfect counterbalance to Fiennes flamboyant character. Tony Revolori is going to have a bright future in films I predict.

I also have very high praise for the sets, they are beautiful! I wish I could visit The Grand Budapest hotel in it's heyday. The rooms look so rich in their old world charm and class...very elegantly decorated and cool. And the colors of this film!...the pastel pinks, the lavenders, the powder blues....Vincent Minnelli would have loved this film. The art direction deserves high credit for such a beautiful looking film.

However for me, none of this was enough to hold my interest. After the first half hour, I became disinterested. I wasn't caught up in the story, nor did I care what happened to the characters. Perhaps it was the zaniest of both the story and the camera work that took me out of the movie. Ultimately I didn't care and the film lost me.

Attachments

Name:	The Grand Budapest Hotel (2014).jpg
Views:	289
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	48317  

Lots of stars maybe?

I was into the film in the first part of it. It should have been something I really liked too. I know one thing, I could have done with out seeing fingers chopped off.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Lots of stars maybe?

I was into the film in the first part of it. It should have been something I really liked too. I know one thing, I could have done with out seeing fingers chopped off.

I could have done without seeing the whole movie.

Apollo 18 (2011)

Director: Gonzalo López-Gallego
Writer: Brian Miller
Cast: Warren Christie, Lloyd Owen, Ryan Robbins
Genre: Found-Footage Faux Documentary, Sci-Fi Thriller

Tag line: 'There's a reason we've never gone back to the Moon.'
Premise: (spoiler free) In 2011 'lost film footage' was found of the secret Apollo 18 mission to the moon. The source of that footage was the three astronauts of Apollo 18, taken by them in 1974. History records that Apollo 13 was the last known moon mission. This movie then reveals the reason for the secret launch of Apollo 18.

Review: I liked it! I found the film to be refreshingly different, intelligent...and exciting. But be forewarned this film is NOT for everyone. It's not particularly graphic or violent. In fact if horror is what you crave, skip this film. Likewise if you desire CG, big budget effects and big sets with a 'wow' factor, skip this movie.

The film is composed of 'lost footage' shot in 1974 by the Apollo 18 astronauts. The quality of that footage is true to 1974 moon landing standards. It's grainy with extreme wide angle lens used for the lunar lander cabin shots. Some of the footage is shot in 1:33 ratio scale. This adds to the realistic feel of the movie.

I can't reveal much of the story without spoiling it. So I can only say this: The astronauts are sent on a secret mission by the Department of Defense to install listening devices that will detect Soviet launched missiles. While on the moon several strange occurrences happen that makes the crew realize there's a deeper darker secret.

Apollo 18 is a small budget indie film. The actors gave naturalistic performances, not overly dramatic ones. In other words they seemed like real astronauts, not actors. As I watched the film I bought into their story. I was intrigued by what the lunar mysteries were and found the film exciting and intelligent.

Attachments

Name:	apollo 18.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	389.3 KB
ID:	30106  

I saw Apollo 18 a while back, and I don't remember much about the movie itself, but I remember thinking that it was terrible. As I recall, there was nothing exciting or thrilling about it.

Hi GBG, I thought about you when I wrote that review...I didn't think you would like Apollo 18 as it uses the same 'home movies- found footage-faux documentary style of Blair Witch Hunt. Which I know you hate.

I loved the style of BWH and that's part of why I loved Apollo 18. I'm going to look for more found footage films.

Hi GBG, I thought about you when I wrote that review...I didn't think you would like Apollo 18 as it uses the same 'home movies- found footage-faux documentary style of Blair Witch Hunt. Which I know you hate.

I loved the style of BWH and that's part of why I loved Apollo 18. I'm going to look for more found footage films.

Yeah, I hated Blair Witch too, but it wasn't just the "found footage" that I didn't like about it. As I recall, it had the chance to be a good sci-fi suspense movie, but it crossed too far into horror, and it was pretty boring.

Also, I think I watched it around the same time I watched similar movies like Countdown, Destination Moon and Marooned, so it just paled in comparison.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I "saw" Apollo 18 a while back, although I don't really count it, since I had a portfolio to finish up. I've always meant to check it out again, though.

Hey Arcanis! I haven't seen you here before in my neck of the woods, welcome.
I have of course seen your reviews, nicely written too, I must say!

Myself, I often don't rewatch a film like this. I think once I have found out what the mystery is, I wouldn't be so keen on a second viewing. But that's just me.

I once wrote a sci fi novella (unpublished) that had some similarities to this film. Personally I think my story would have made a great movie! But I doubt anyone is interested in sci fi stories about 1970s space exploration. I mean that's just not what's getting published or made into films these days. While except Apollo 18 and that's part of why I liked it.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Thanks. I've been ghosting the thread, but haven't had much to actually share on the subject. I've been enjoying your reviews a lot.

What similarities did your novella have with the film? It seems like an odd film to share a subject wih.

On the subject of The Grand Budapest Hotel, I honestly think that it's Anderson's best film to date. I've historically not been a fan of his, and Moonrise Kingdom, his previous best, was only just okay. This is the first of his that I would actively recommend to others.