Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review

→ in
Tools    

"I smell sex and candy here" - Marcy Playground
Have you seen it Max? If you have, also check out Gumball Rally, I loved that one!
Yes, many many times. I would stop everything I was doing, just to watch it, whenever it was on the tele. I love the characters, the cleavage, the cars, the Burt and all the charm that he brings. I would probably rate it 3.5/5.

Yes, many many times. I would stop everything I was doing, just to watch it, whenever it was on the tele. I love the characters, the cleavage, the cars, the Burt and all the charm that he brings. I would probably rate it 3.5/5.
OK we agree on one thing

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
some intriguing flicks, CR. Especially some of the silent ones. Some of which seem very worthwhile, so thanks for the reviews!

And yes, Gumball is the FAR BETTER racing film and Raul DID steal the show. Loved it when he removes the rear view mirror and explains: "What is behind us is of no importance."
But, I do enjoy the utter silliness of Cannonball. Watching Martin and Davis as drunk/swearing/women chasing fake priests always made me chuckle. Of course it has been a couple of decades so I may have to do a rewatch and see how I feel about it.

I'm very curious to see what you have to say about Smokey & the Bandit

some intriguing flicks, CR. Especially some of the silent ones. Some of which seem very worthwhile, so thanks for the reviews!
Some of those silent films are the best films I've seen, period. I know a lot of people don't care for silents, but I find them intriguing. They take more participation and thought from the viewer, and so are more like reading a book than a sound movie is.

But, I do enjoy the utter silliness of Cannonball. Watching Martin and Davis as drunk/swearing/women chasing fake priests always made me chuckle. Of course it has been a couple of decades so I may have to do a rewatch and see how I feel about it.

I'm very curious to see what you have to say about Smokey & the Bandit
I did like Deano Martin and Sammy Davis Jr in Cannonball. They had great chemistry together and had the best lines too. And Roger Moore as well, I don't know if I mentioned that in my review but Roger Moore as a man who thought he was Roger Moore was pretty funny.

I think I have cold feet now about Smoky and the Bandit, so I don't think I'll watch that one.

wow, NEVER heard of that one, Mark

and sorry about the chilled appendages for Smokey and the Bandit, CR, but I totally understand. If it don't feel right - don't do it.

I had forgotten about Roger Moore THINKING he was Roger Moore lol

I've never thought about silent movies being closer to book reading - interesting. My silent movies are very limited unfortunately, but like skizzer, I have seen a restored Nosferatu in a theater with a three piece band which really made a difference.

This came out three weeks before The Gumball Rally.
Thanks Mark for the link. I never heard of that one, but I'm very interested in watching it as it has David Carridine. Who was great in both Kung Fu (TV) and Death Race 2000. I wonder why they changed the name from Cannonball to Carquake!

wow, NEVER heard of that one, Mark

and sorry about the chilled appendages for Smokey and the Bandit, CR, but I totally understand. If it don't feel right - don't do it.

I had forgotten about Roger Moore THINKING he was Roger Moore lol

I've never thought about silent movies being closer to book reading - interesting. My silent movies are very limited unfortunately, but like skizzer, I have seen a restored Nosferatu in a theater with a three piece band which really made a difference.
Very cool that you got to see Nosferatu on the big screen. I've never had the chance to see any classic on the big screen. One of these days I will.

yeah, it was through the Detroit Institute of Art. They have a movie theater and will, on occasion, have some really incredible things. They once did a noir month that included the original content (which nowadays is considered a Director's Cut, I guess) of The Big Sleep and I remember seeing Branagh's rendition of Henry V when it first came out through them as well.

Did you see any of the noirs at the Detroit Institute of Art?...All this talk has now really made me want to find a classic movie playing at the theater, and go watch it! It's been almost 15 years since I went to the movie theater too. We do have a big theater that will play classics occasionally and on an actual Cinerama giant curved screen. But sadly I haven't gotten around to seeing any I got to work on that.

it was about a decade ago but I remember The Big Sleep and Double Indemnity and, I'm not sure, but possibly Kiss of Death and the final one was a Fritz Lang movie whose name escapes me.

But yeah, if you have an old time movie house, it REALLY is the way to see old time movies. There's one on the west side where I live that has the old pipe organ that they play before movies and during intermission right in front of the movie screen.

This is it

I think you'll like Smokey and the Bandit much more. I haven't seen Cannonball Run in many years, but Bandit is still very cool.
OK, I'll trust you on that and give it a watch. I'm almost positive I seen Smokey and the Bandit at the theater...but it has been like a million year since then!

First Airplane!, and now this?! Are you sure that you like comedies?
Sorry GBG, I wasn't ignoring you, I missed your post as it was the last post on the other page....What can I say? I loved The Blues Brothers, Vacation (the original) and most all John Candy and John Hughes films.

Very cool Ed! that would be so neat to hear live during a silent film. I don't know if we have any of those around anymore?

We do have a theater that does show at times, classics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Cinerama

Your post has inspired me to keep an eye on our theaters schedule and I really hope to watch a classic on the big screen.

Very cool Ed! that would be so neat to hear live during a silent film. I don't know if we have any of those around anymore?

We do have a theater that does show at times, classics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Cinerama

Your post has inspired me to keep an eye on our theaters schedule and I really hope to watch a classic on the big screen.
VERY cool theater!
Hope you find a few to watch. I need to do the same myself, been a year or two since I've done that as well.

I just looked up Hooper:

Hollywood aging stuntman Sonny Hooper wants to prove that he's still got what it takes to be a great professional in this risky and under-recognized line of work. Cast: Burt Reynolds, Sally Field

Yeah that sounds like a fun one. Thanks and I will review it when I get a chance to watch it. I have to start watching some 11th HoF films
I love Hooper, Citizen...it made my favorite guilty pleasures list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Another comedy movie that you might want to try that's the same type of crazy comedy as Smokey and the Bandit, Hooper, The Cannonball Run, etc. is Hot Stuff (1979). It stars Dom DeLuise, Suzanne Pleshette, and Jerry Reed as cops who fence stolen goods to try to catch the crooks. It's kind of like a Burt Reynolds movie, but without Burt Reynolds.