Human Nature: Good or Evil?
48.15%
13 votes
Evil
51.85%
14 votes
Good
27 votes. You may not vote on this poll

When I think about what it would take to be good all the time, I can barely get my head around it. It feels so utterly impossible that I wonder if people dismiss it out of hand as unrealistic, and use something less than total goodness instead before they even begin to see how they stack up to it. It's like we're so broken that we can only consider one shattered piece at a time, and can't even fathom what it would mean to be whole again. If it all sounds pretty dramatic...well, I guess it's because I think that it is.
If someone was good all the time, people would look down at him/her for either trying too hard or assuming he/she thinks she's better than them, but also looking at it from the standpoint of not caring about that (even though it's totally true), if you're good all the time, you're probably not human oh dammit I came full circle...uh rephrase if you're good all the time, you haven't learned anything about the world. Can it be wrong to be good in some situations?

It's kind of amusing, though, because I probably sound like a nihilist, when I actually can't stand nihilism. I love the order we can bring out of so much chaos, and I'm a total softie when it comes to the awesome and beautiful things we can do. I have a lot of hope for humanity, but it's largely because I think there's a lot more than humanity out there.
I would hope there's more to things than us. However I don't know yet if it's because I want the beauty of the universe to have reason or I like the idea of being "planted" here

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Yoda, i don't disagree with what you said, but you know what the problem with it is? going by what you said, if you're someone who really believes all of that, it'd make it very difficult to go through life and ever feel good about yourself.

If someone was good all the time, people would look down at him/her for either trying too hard or assuming he/she thinks she's better than them,
only the inherently bad people would do this

yes, because I hold the pessimistic assumption that the general person is "inherently bad"

I wasn't saying you or I would do that, especially you, because I might do it on a bad day

Yoda, i don't disagree with what you said, but you know what the problem with it is? going by what you said, if you're someone who really believes all of that, it'd make it very difficult to go through life and ever feel good about yourself.
that's why being an artist is great, you don't have to worry about all that, you just comment on it

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Well, if you're going out of your way to try to do the right thing you can feel good about yourself, but just don't "feel too good" about yourself because then you'll be prideful and heading for a fall. It really isn't any different from anything else in life, except that maybe it's more serious and tied up with questions of morality and/or ethics which most people don't really want to examine too closely.

Well, if you're going out of your way to try to do the right thing you can feel good about yourself, but just don't "feel too good" about yourself because then you'll be prideful and heading for a fall. It really isn't any different from anything else in life, except that maybe it's more serious and tied up with questions of morality and/or ethics which most people don't really want to examine too closely.
no, i meant, if we go through life knowing how screwed up and bad we are, and how it's damn near impossible to be really, truly good... well, it'd be like having a long-term guilt trip all the time.

actually, that right there is pretty much how i would sum up religion. no wonder i'm a non-believer.

I think that also explains why there is a basically even vote. Some people see being human as something one must overcome to rise above one's nature. Others look at an innocent baby and believe that we are good and have to be taught to be "bad". The question arises then, who "taught" people to kill, rape, steal, etc? Wasn't it other humans?

I realize that is a vast simplification but it may explain the voting so far. Now, why do so many bad things happen which seem to not have to occur? You know, direct human interference with other humans. I don't want anybody to go on a needless guilt trip but this is probably why people voted "evil".

I realize that is a vast simplification but it may explain the voting so far. Now, why do so many bad things happen which seem to not have to occur? You know, direct human interference with other humans. I don't want anybody to go on a needless guilt trip but this is probably why people voted "evil".
Experience has a lot to do with this naturally.

I'm curious as to if this poll was renamed Animal Nature whether the votes would be different

Yes. That's true. Most people don't accuse animals of being evil or having to rise above their nature. It's just humans. But some would say it's that self-awareness which separates us and makes it a "big leap" to go from "animal" to "human".

Yes. That's true. Most people don't accuse animals of being evil or having to rise above their nature. It's just humans. But some would say it's that self-awareness which separates us and makes it a "big leap" to go from "animal" to "human".
Many animals are self-aware, haven't you seen a video of, say, two pandas fighting for a mate and one of them is just being a dick about it and you're like man that panda's a dick the other panda clearly had dibs, he didn't even want to fight but he did it to impress her, man it's like a mirror

Semper Fooey
All I know is the people who makes the biggest deal about being good and living by moral principles usually turn out to be hypocrites.

And I'm not just talking about preachers who get caught with a whore.

It probably seems like it should be that way, but for me, it isn't. If I err to far in either direction, it's definitely too far towards pride, despite what I believe about human nature. My belief in God goes a long way towards reconciling this sort of thing. It makes the admission of badness more liberating than anything, in the same way admitting to a lie actually feels more good than bad.

People can feel they've hit rock bottom and be more hopeful as a result. I know I keep going back to the analogy of addiction, but it works really well: I imagine that first day of rehab is, in some ways, the most hopeful day an addict might ever have.

no, i meant, if we go through life knowing how screwed up and bad we are, and how it's damn near impossible to be really, truly good... well, it'd be like having a long-term guilt trip all the time.

actually, that right there is pretty much how i would sum up religion. no wonder i'm a non-believer.
Well, if someone regards religion as a big guilt trip, then they're practicing it in a very different way than I am, to say the least. Christianity operates with the exact opposite intent: to free us from that guilt. Admitting guilt has always seemed like the best way to actually avoid it.

But religious abuse will always exist and there are many people who feel it's all about shame, if only because few religious people have given them much reason to think otherwise. I can't always say I blame them. Christians are not always good standard-bearers for Christianity.

I feel compelled to point out, by the way, that the above quote is not actually a reason religion is false; it's a reason someone would prefer it not to be true. Ditto for the idea that thinking people are largely bad is a bummer: it's entirely possible that the truth about God and/or morality is quite unpleasant. It seems quite likely, actually; what're the odds that, if God exists, His expectations of me will jibe perfectly with my own?

Keep on Rockin in the Free World
All I know is the people who makes the biggest deal about being good and living by moral principles usually turn out to be hypocrites.

And I'm not just talking about preachers who get caught with a whore.
&feature=channel

I think I see why I disagree with you, however. You see a fireman run into a burning building and think he is therefore a "good" person. But that's a snippet of his life. He could be a drunk, an abusive father, or just cold and unloving. He could take advantage of his friends. He could put people down to make himself feel better. He could do that every day for a decade. Is all this wiped out by saving someone's life? Is goodness a points system wherein such an act is a counterweight to all the little things we do at the expense of others?
OK, let's look at that fireman from the other side--you and your new wife are in a burning building, choking on smoke, disoriented, trying to find each other and an exit within black clouds of smoke. Suddenly two firemen find you and pull you both to safety. Do you really care at that moment if they're drunks, wife-beaters, racists, and embezzling funds from the firemen's union? Does any of that really matter when they've just rescued you and the one you love?

I once was covering a big fire at a railroad marshalling yard in north Houston. Fire was way out in this huge complex with rows after rows of sidetracks on which dozens of tank cars and box cars sat waiting to be hooked up and sent out. I was working my way through all the rail cars when suddenly I heard this big metallic Whang like someone just dropped a giant washtub nearby. I backtracked back under the last train I'd crawled through, and there just a few yards away in a clearing between box cars was the wreckage of a light plane that earlier had been circling close to the marshalling yard and the fire. It was a high-wing type of plane where the wings are located at the top over the cockpit which was crumpled into the ground. I started running toward it, and then I saw flames licking out of the nose of the plane to under a section of the wing. Well, aircraft usually carry fuel in their wings; fire and fuel can make a nasty explosion, so I stopped running and started trying to assess the danger vs. my strong impulse not to get hurt if I could help it. While I'm standing there, a fireman runs past me, straight to the crash, and without a moment's hesitation dived straight under that wing on his belly to try to get the pilot out. Other firemen arrived with extinguishers and doused the fire. I learned later the pilot had died instantly. But I never learned the identity of the fireman I saw dive into a wreck that I was afraid to approach. All I saw was the fireman's heavy coat and the boots and helmet--don't know if the person was male, female, young, old--nothing. But when someone starts talking about bravery, I remember that fireman diving under that wing, putting his own life in jeopardy without the slightest hesitation on just the small chance he could help another person. That still impresses the hell out of me.

Point being, people don't have to be perfect and good all the time--we're only human with all the weaknesses and temptations that entails. But based on what I've seen of people of all kinds in several countries, I still believe most people are basically good, that most will do the right thing when it gets right down to it, whether someone else witnesses it or not. Yeah it would be nice if good people were totally good, which would make it more likely bad people are totally bad, and that doesn't happen either. Yeah, people can do both good and bad, but I'm convinced most of us make a concious choice to do good most of the time. And maybe that's enough.

People can, indeed, change, and it can be a marvelous thing. But the fact that they need to change to begin with underscores how bad they (we) are. . . . That we change and restrain ourselves at all is fantastic, but the fact that we so often have to is the most relevant thing.
Another difference between us--I don't believe in original sin, that we are born basically flawed and have to struggle against our evil impulses all our lives. And my best argument for that are babies. From birth through their first 3-4 years, no baby is primarily bad, much less evil. It's like that song in South Pacific, people have to be taught from an early age to hate, to be prejudiced, to lie, to cheat, because that does not come natural to a baby. Which was the point I was trying to make in my story about growing up in a segregated southern community. I learned at my mama's knee that pie was the name of a type of desert and black people were n-----s. Like I said, for years I didn't even know there was a different designation than the N-word. When I learned there were other words and that the N-word was racist and disrespectful, I had a choice--keep on talking like I used to and like most of my relatives did, or quit using that word. I chose not to use it any more, even though friends and relatives made fun of my choice.

I didn't create segregation, and I didn't end it. But when the civil rights movement started in the 1960s, I spoke up for it and tried to set an example of a Southern white willing to sit with black people in a diner or on a bus or in a classroom. And in time other southern whites did change and our society opened to all citizens. It doesn't matter that my paternal grandfather would have been a Ku Kluxer except he was too cheap to buy a set of sheets. He's dead and gone. A new South exists today. It's not perfect, maybe not even good enough yet, but it's better than when I first got here and I'm proud of that. The important thing I think is not that people need to change or that they are capable of change, but the fact that they choose to change--and usually for the better.

I don't think this is the kind of question that can be answered with anecdotes, no matter how many of them we may have amassed in either direction. The only life we can judge thoroughly with full knowledge of circumstance is our own, and I think all of us, if we're honest with ourselves, will be pretty staggered with the number of times we've put ourselves first.
We differ on this, too. I think the only way we can address this issue is through anecdotes. I can't prove to you that some babies don't have an innate propensity to grow up and do evil. I can only recount what I've seen and learned from a variety of people. As for putting ourselves first, that's not necessarily bad. Someone had to be the first to stand up and say slavery is wrong, the first to say segregation was wrong. Dr. King certainly was putting black people first, himself included, by fighting segregation, but I feel I benefitted from it, too. If I'm standing in front of you in a ticket line at the movie theater, I'm not going to feel bad because I got there first and have you jump ahead of me to make up for it. But I'm also not going to come up late and push you out of line so I can take your place, because that wouldn't be right and I choose not to do that.

Wanting to do the fair and right thing, and rising about setbacks, is a far cry from being good at our core. Wanting to do right does not make us good. If anything, the fact that we have to want to do right so strongly in order to do it underscores how much badness we have to overcome.
Well, I've never met anyone who was good or bad to their core, have you? That's just not how it works. If we were all born good to the core, it would be easy to be good--that's all we can be. But there are temptations and injustices and all sorts of reasons out there to be bad. but most of us resist the worst of these temptations because we want to be good and we exercise our free will to do good more often than we do bad. And that's the biggest accomplishment, I think--we could be bad, but we chose not to. We conquer our temptations and do the right thing--most of the time.

Well, I just don't have the time to reply to all this, and yall are already engaged in a one-to-one, so I'm not going to interject unless I have an end-all, but I've got to point this out right now before it gets any worse:

Well, I've never met anyone who was good or bad to their core, have you? That's just not how it works.
Of course. Too bad this isn't the question or this would be the end-all. We're talking about the quality OF our core, i.e. the location AT our core. It's totally up to interpretation what you think this core is, but the one thing that the term does not allow is some sort of explicit connection to the external. Being evil is more than just your actions; it's, well, a nature. We can be evil inside and do only good things. This does not make you good. If you hate helping people but do it anyways because society expects it, you are not good. The internal mindset is what we are discussing here. As always, your anecdotes are wonderfully written and moving, but they just do not apply to the discussion precisely because they deal only in appearances.

And please don't say that we can never know what goes on in other people's heads. We know what goes on in our own, and as long as we're honest, that's all the anecdotal evidence we need.

But, in the end, evidence doesn't prove anything whatsoever. I kinda wish we would talk more abstractly here. Even bringing in science and the evolution of altruism is going a little off base for me. So what if we are "programmed" to be good? We still have free will or at least a semblance of it. Arguments from the Bible are subject to the same irrelevance. Is there something inherent in the nature of experience that leads up to believe certain things? Or do you only submit to a truth when it is explicitly written down?

That being said, I'd much sooner take rufnek's fascinating tales over this garbage about original sin.

That's fine but what about the animal vs. human argument? Are animals inherently evil at their core? If I knew how to speak/understand all the various "animal languages" then maybe I'd know, but as you say planet, I only know myself (and believe it or not, I believe because I know myself that I can believe that I "know" some other humans). I also do not believe that my cat is evil (or bad) or that all my dogs were evil. But, hey planet, you started this. Do you vote for animals also being evil or is it just us because we read, write and use the internet?

OK, OK, I already know that many "animals" are able to use the Internet(s, for those who care), but I'm talking about some creature who does it because he/she/hermaphrodite wants to do it. Boy, I hope that makes sense.

Semper Fooey
Animals are neither good or evil because they are unable to make moral decisions. Some people will murder, others won't. Pretty much all cats will torture a mouse until it dies. The didn't make a decision to do that. They do it because it is part of their instinct, You train a dog to attach, he will. He doesn't think about the consequences the way we do.

OK, let's look at that fireman from the other side--you and your new wife are in a burning building, choking on smoke, disoriented, trying to find each other and an exit within black clouds of smoke. Suddenly two firemen find you and pull you both to safety. Do you really care at that moment if they're drunks, wife-beaters, racists, and embezzling funds from the firemen's union? Does any of that really matter when they've just rescued you and the one you love?
Certainly not. But that's irrelevant because this thread was not posing the question "do you care about the moral purity of someone who may or may not save your life?," it was asking whether or not we're good or bad at our core. In support of the idea that we are good, you offered anecdotal examples of firemen braving harm to save people. My response is simply that this doesn't tell us whether or not they're otherwise good people, and they would hardly be surrogates for all of humanity even if they were.

Point being, people don't have to be perfect and good all the time--we're only human with all the weaknesses and temptations that entails.
This is exactly what I've been talking about: "we're only human." You're saying precisely the two things I suggested that any defender of the "good" position must inevitably say: they must make excuses for our collective behavior by either pointing out how difficult it is to be good all the time, or by comparing people to other, worse people. Neither addresses the question being asked, though.

But based on what I've seen of people of all kinds in several countries, I still believe most people are basically good, that most will do the right thing when it gets right down to it, whether someone else witnesses it or not. Yeah it would be nice if good people were totally good, which would make it more likely bad people are totally bad, and that doesn't happen either. Yeah, people can do both good and bad, but I'm convinced most of us make a concious choice to do good most of the time. And maybe that's enough.
Depends on what it's supposed to be "enough" for. "Enough" to sympathize with, and sometimes enough to admire, perhaps. But not enough to be really good.

Another difference between us--I don't believe in original sin, that we are born basically flawed and have to struggle against our evil impulses all our lives. And my best argument for that are babies. From birth through their first 3-4 years, no baby is primarily bad, much less evil.
They're not really morally good, either. If anything, they're primarily self-interested. I don't blame them for this, but really, I have to imagine you know the obvious response to your argument: you certainly didn't let your children just grow up, did you, under the assumption that as long as you didn't teach them evil, they won't learn it? I'll bet you taught them right from wrong, because they simply wouldn't know it until you did. I'll bet you corrected them many times growing up when they let their own desires get in the way of what we all think of as upright behavior.

All that said, I'm not really concerned with the idea of "original sin." It brings too much theological baggage to the discussion, and I don't feel the case I'm making requires that you buy into it, anyway.

We differ on this, too. I think the only way we can address this issue is through anecdotes. I can't prove to you that some babies don't have an innate propensity to grow up and do evil. I can only recount what I've seen and learned from a variety of people.
Certainly the "only way we can address this issue" is through our own experiences. We are the only people we know the full circumstances of. Everything else involves large amounts of speculation. Anecdotes show us what is possible, not what is necessarily probable, and they certainly can't answer questions like this. I doubt you would pretend to know a person's core based on either the best or worst thing they've ever done, so it can hardly be used to answer whether or not anyone -- let alone all of us as a whole -- are innately good or bad.

As for putting ourselves first, that's not necessarily bad. Someone had to be the first to stand up and say slavery is wrong, the first to say segregation was wrong. Dr. King certainly was putting black people first, himself included, by fighting segregation, but I feel I benefitted from it, too. If I'm standing in front of you in a ticket line at the movie theater, I'm not going to feel bad because I got there first and have you jump ahead of me to make up for it. But I'm also not going to come up late and push you out of line so I can take your place, because that wouldn't be right and I choose not to do that.
Standing up to segregation is putting others first -- others who will benefit from the example of a Dr. King. I'm sure his life was a great struggle that was severely unpleasant for him at times. It cost him his life, for goodness' sake. He was most definitely not putting himself first.

That said, trying to find hypothetical examples that seem to fit under the umbrella of "putting ourselves first" but don't seem wrong is missing the point. The phrase refers to genuine selfishness, not any action which might benefit the person taking it.

Well, I've never met anyone who was good or bad to their core, have you? That's just not how it works.
No, I haven't, but that's only because the phrasing here has been subtly changed. There's a difference between "to their core" and "at their core." The former implies a thorough, pervasive badness. The latter just implies primary badness. And the latter is what was asked. Actually, the initial question was even more nuanced; it only asked which we had more of at our core, which is sensible, because everyone in the discussion seems to implicitly acknowledge that nobody is completely good or bad.

If we were all born good to the core, it would be easy to be good--that's all we can be. But there are temptations and injustices and all sorts of reasons out there to be bad. but most of us resist the worst of these temptations because we want to be good and we exercise our free will to do good more often than we do bad. And that's the biggest accomplishment, I think--we could be bad, but we chose not to. We conquer our temptations and do the right thing--most of the time.
But the fact that we have these temptations to conquer in the first place is what demonstrates our badness.

Between statements like this, and the earlier statements about firemen, I think I see one of the root causes of our disagreement. You seem to be taking the approach that actions are the only things that can be really good or bad. Thus, if we think something terrible about someone, but have the good sense and decency not to say it, then we've done good through our restraint. But thinking it in the first place is what makes us bad. Being polite, or having some sense of social self-preservation, is not the same thing as being good. Real goodness and badness is about what we want as much as our actions.

I have to wonder if the law, and simple conditioning, has something to do with all this. We all live in the real world, and people think awful things so often that it's not plausible or useful for us to judge each other based on thought alone. And, legally, we obviously have little choice but to restrict consequence to action. But I wonder if these things haven't been internalized to the point at which we've fundamentally linked morality to action alone, and disregarded thought as inconsequential. In other words, we've confused legal necessity with moral reality. I suspect this is a cultural blind spot that exists now, but did not before.

Animals are neither good or evil because they are unable to make moral decisions. Some people will murder, others won't. Pretty much all cats will torture a mouse until it dies. The didn't make a decision to do that. They do it because it is part of their instinct, You train a dog to attach, he will. He doesn't think about the consequences the way we do.
Yeah. Animals are not (at least not NEARLY as much as humans) self-aware enough to be consciously mindful of the suffering and joy of others. Animals do not contemplate ethical decisions. They might have a built-in set of instincts that appear to be ethical or non-ethical, but I do not believe for a moment that a dog can ponder. When a dog snarls at another dog or attacks a human being, it did not do it because it wanted that other being to suffer for suffering's sake.