Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I went into this expecting to hate it, and even kind of hoping that I would. It seems that I've been enjoying everything I've been watching, and I thought a bad movie could give me a little perspective. It's a nice roll to be on, but it has me questioning my own ratings.
I've been questioning your ratings for a long time now.

No where near as sleazy and grindhouse as the poster implies, but it is a very well done story about people coming to terms with their demons, and a touching friendship between Jackson and Ricci's characters. Also Ricci is half naked or topless throughout the movie.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses

Lonely Are The Brave (1962, David Miller)

I hadn't read much about it before going in, so for some reason I thought this was going to be a prison movie but the prison segment turned out only a small part of the story (which, I admit, was a tad disappointing). But anyway, overall this was a pretty good movie with some crisp b&w cinematography, and it had some great moments in it. Kirk Douglas was excellent in his portrayal of an idealistic, old-fashioned cowboy at odds with modern reality, and Walter Matthau as a droll, cynical sheriff was fun to watch. However, I thought the protracted mountain chase segment brought the movie down a notch - it was kinda dull and added little to the story.

This was Kirk Douglas' favorite of his own films, which says a lot and alone makes it very much worth giving it a shot if you haven't yet.
A lot of people recommended this to me a year ago, and the first 10 minutes are the best. He's in the desert, all by himself, and his good friend, Whiskey, the horse. He doesn't have a single possession, enjoys the nature and the serenity. Then we he gets on the horse, we hear nothing but car horns, looking at the guy like he was crazy, and he sees the modern world as crazy.

I didn't like any of the scenes inside the jail, after checking in (I loved the "I don't need ID, I know who I am"); the modern world vs. the world previous..

You can't win an argument just by being right!

The Devil's Backbone

I hdnt heard of that. I love del Toro.

I hdnt heard of that. I love del Toro.
Then you would enjoy this, it's one of the few films he wrote, produced and directed, it was easy to see that Pan's Labyrinth would come later,there were many similar themes here...

... and Christopher Lee's Spanish doppelganger is in this film.

WARNING: "not really a spoiler but sort of" spoilers below
What I loved about TDB is the ghost is real, not a shadow or a noise or a jump scare, it is as real as the living and it's with the living were the danger lies, not with the unknown

Conspiracy Theory (1997) 7/10
This started off really good but started to drag around the middle and end.

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (2004) 5/10
I didn't get much of the humour, it was pretty boring for me.

In Bruges (2008) 7/10
It was good and engaging didn't really care for the sub plot but the main plot was good.

A very clear parody of Hood movies. Especially Boyz in the Hood. And as someone who has seen plenty of Hood movies, the movie is funny as hell. However some of the jokes are actually darker due to my experiences in law enforcement.

Matthiasflgrtll6, I need to see Prom Night II. I've heard of it for a long time, but I didn't realize Michael Ironside was in it. I'll watch that dude in just about anything. He's great!

Movie Max, I agree with you completely on Silent Hill. I saw this at the cinema, and at the point where the woman is trying to get through the frozen, creepy nurses, the lights in the cinema went out! I wasn't scared but several women in the theater screamed. Good memory!

FromBeyond, I need to see Train to Busan. I love me some zombies! I've seen The Devil's Backbone and loved it. I like the way del Toro does horror, so this one was a must!

Gunslinger, Black Snake Moan was a fine flick. Ricci and Jackson were awesome, but I was surprised at Justin Timberlake. I'm not much of a fan of his, music-wise, but I think he did a fine acting job here.

Steve Freeling, Raw Deal was just one of dozens of Arnold movies a friend of mine and I caught at the cinema. We were huge fans (I still am, don't know about him) and this one was ideal for us. My favorite line, or at least the one I always remember from the movie is Sam Wanamaker (the mob boss) saying to Arnold, "Smart I like, smart-ASS, I don't!" I've used that a few times, but only in joking situations.

Recent re-watch:

Charlie, the Lonesome Cougar (1967)

This was one of the first of many Disney "live-action" movies I saw, and it , like the others, was presented to our class in first-grade in our auditorium. Of course, all of the class loved it. A lumber worker finds an abandoned cougar kitten up in the forest and takes him back home, where he lives among the workers at a saw mill. He naturally wrecks havoc, trashing stuff in the kitchen and being chased by the cook's small dog (really small when compared to Charlie). It's not all bad times---Charlie jumps in on a log-rolling contest among the workers. But he causes more havoc the older he gets and is caged. He ends up escaping and wandering up into the foothills of the mountains. He has many adventures before returning to civilization but he's not the same cougar who left. Anyway, as this was mostly a kid's movie, it all ends happily. The scenery is beautiful, filmed in Washington State. Rivers, mountains, lush, green hills, all make for a wonderful backdrop to this very entertaining story.

The Guest (Wingard, 2014)

I was kind of on board when it was taking the "cool action hero" persona and making it villainous, but the jarring turn about 40 minutes in just throws character motivations to the wind. Abhorrent pacing. No amount of leaning into the absurdity can redeem it. That's coming from somebody who usually enjoys jumping the shark. Oh, and the soundtrack is not only out of place, but so obviously lifted from Drive that it's pathetic. No, it doesn't sound like the 80s. It sounds like nostalgia for the 80s.

A genuinely frustrating movie that squanders its promise to the point where it makes you regret ever giving it credit in the first place.

Blood Father (Richet, 2016)

I thought for sure this was going to be another Taken progeny where the older vet gets his action vehicle predicated on rescuing a family member to make you think you care about anything besides the action and violence. To the movie's credit, it really does try to build a connection and flesh out characters. I wasn't really swayed, but I respect the effort. Thankfully, Grizzled Gibson does get the opportunity to satisfy those more primal desires as well. The kind of movie you want to half watch on a Sunday afternoon.

How sweet, fresh meet
A Nightmare on Elm St 4: The Dream Master (1988)

Rating:
7.0 / 10

One Down, Two to Go

Harvey (1950)

I quite like the premise on paper, but I was a little disappointed with the execution. It is supposed to be considered a comedy, but I found myself wanting to know more about Elwood and Harvey. Almost the entire second act is a "Where's Elwood?" game. Still enjoyed it for what it was and did appreciate Elwood's long chunks of dialogue near the end.

A lot of people recommended this to me a year ago, and the first 10 minutes are the best.He's in the desert, all by himself, and his good friend, Whiskey, the horse. He doesn't have a single possession, enjoys the nature and the serenity. Then we he gets on the horse, we hear nothing but car horns, looking at the guy like he was crazy, and he sees the modern world as crazy.

I didn't like any of the scenes inside the jail, after checking in (I loved the "I don't need ID, I know who I am"); the modern world vs. the world previous..
WARNING: "My main gripe" spoilers below
I liked the opening the best, too - the scenes with Gena Rowlands were good, and the whole premise of him getting himself into prison to help his buddy had some potential. I thought it would have been a lot more interesting if he had failed to escape and was caught by the guards but unfortunately it went in a different direction. But then again, that's in the original novel, so it's not a legit complaint, really.

I won't dance. Don't ask me...

4/10
Is this movie as bad as I think or I got old?
What have they done with Jared L.? He was so cute when I saw him last time. He shouldn't wear green.
Beside, there isn't and I doubt there will be better Joker than Jack Nicholson!

Murder By Natural Causes (1979)

-

This is a made for TV movie in which Hal Holbrook plays a mentalist with a pacemaker. His wife (Katharine Ross) wants her lover (Brad from The Rocky Horror Picture Show) to scare him to death so they can get all his money and supposedly be together. This is an entertaining mystery/suspense flick especially when the twists and turns come into play, and the performances are fun to watch.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds

Beauty and the Beast 2017

Looked superb and was really well done.

That was the good and the bad bit of it for me.

Good because it looked superb and was really well done.

This for me was also the downside. It looked good and 'real' so the 'Beast' suddenly became more threatening in appearance, but there was no change to the script to reflect that. He was still a 'kids cartoon character' in everything but appearance.

Good casting.

If you like the animated version then I think you will like this.

They did change his character though, in the cartoon he was more like Gaston, a brute who couldn't read. Here, he's actually educated and more in line with what Belle would find attractive in a man (using that term loosely). That's a change in character I can get behind.

Suspect's Reviews

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Beauty and the Beast (2017)

The stuff in this movie ranged from above average to bad. There was a lot of stuff I kind of liked but nothing that was better than the original. That can sum up the whole movie right there, it's okay, but it was done better in the original. And thus, it's an entirely pointless remake since everything in the original still holds up pretty well. And Bill Condon's direction was completely lifeless, I think he just saw stuff they did in the original and put it in the film with out understanding why they put it there. There was only one thing in the movie that really pissed me off, and that was Beast. He looks terrible, he looks just looks like a guy with fur on his face and horns, and it's not just in his design, but in the effects. Good lord, the 2D version looks more three dimensional than the supposed three dimensional one. However, the costume and production design was really good, but better in the original. Overall, I say just see the original, your not missing out on much.