Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Have not heard of Dheepan.

Hidden Fortress is one of Kurosawa's I'm still missing. Definitely sounds like one I'd enjoy for the same reasons I loved Yojimbo.

Even with my love for Period Pieces, The Age of Innocence did feel long for me. Still loved it with Day, and I've always liked Ryder and still do, and I simply adore Pfeiffer in this, even more so in Dangerous Liasons. Following cricket's remark, I've been utterly and completely smitten with Pfeiffer since Ladyhawke playing Isabeau (god, I love that name!)

And Pomeranians? They're part rat, right?

Have not seen The Wrestler, and like Cosmic, I've heard A LOT about Rourke nailing it and would be the reason for visiting it, but it'll take an HoF to finally see it. I'm mid-road when it comes to Aronofsky. I enjoy The Fountain but lack the intellect to truly appreciate his work.

I also saw Forbidden Games in the 13th HoF, one of the last films I watched. A lot of emotionally shattering films in that one, and I had dreaded watching it believing it would be very much like the others was happy to discover that after the initial air raid where Paullette loses her parents and dog, and comes across the understanding, considerate, helpful, strong-willed Michel.
He brings her to his home; from there, a kind of dark comedy evolves from their comprehension of and thereby facing death. Creating a cemetery in the old mill and stealing crosses for the graves. Interspersed between the everyday life of Michel's family.
It is this twisted, naive, and somehow beautiful ideology on how to accept death and the outlandish lengths they go to, or rather, Michel is willing to go to, for Paulette, that eased the tension I started with and gave this heart of mine something whimsical and fantastical to appreciate. And appreciate, I did.
Even the abrupt ending, though quite sad, had its own endearing beauty. Which, leaving an audience hanging is always a difficult endeavor seemed very apropos here.
Which I, too, have forgotten.

I've always appreciated The Wicker Man far more than truly enjoying or loving it. Not entirely sure why. I always sympathize SO MUCH for Woodward's character, which is a truly unique scenario for such a situation where I loved watching such a righteous individual get his world rocked, his mind blown, and his dogma f@cked with. No denying the greatness of the film.

Damn it! I had wrote some comments on the last films you all watched and then accidentally I deleted my post...So I'm trying again!

The Seventh Seal
...I've yet to find a Bergman film that I can warm up to. I watched The Seventh Seal in PR3 and this was my reaction:
I was impressed with Berman's skill and yet it left me cold...My two word review would be: Masterfully austere.
The Wicker Man 1973...MovieGal wanted me to watch this and so I did. I reviewed it here and gave it a

...In what has to be seen to be believed, Britt Ekland does a musical number in which she attempts to beguile the police sergeant. Her movements and the way the scene is shot give the look of an early music video, quite artistic....and she does it in the nude too.
Forbidden Games...I don't remember much about this film but apparently I liked it as I rated it
in my review here
The film in a way feels like an old Twilight Zone episode, not so much in structure but due to the strange subject matter. What the children do after the bomb attack is odd, extremely odd! And yet believable.
The Wrestler...Not see it but Raul's write-up makes it sound pretty cool.

The Age of Innocence (1993)...I have this checked off my list as watched and yet I'm not totally sure I did...I know at one time the wife and I watched a ton of these costume period piece films so I probably seen it. I do like Winona Ryder though never had a crush on her.

The Hidden Fortress...Not seen this but Hey Fredrick's write-up makes me want to see it. So far I prefer Ozu to Kurosawa.

Dheepan (2015)
...might have heard of it before?

I watched Dheepan for the last Personal Rec. I agree with Allaby about the first half being better which I found compelling, but then I thought the second half went in a much more generic direction.

Ppl who really know me, know The Wicker Man is a favorite of mine and I'm excited that someone who is fairly new around these parts informed me recently they watched it and loved it as well. They and I share common cinematic interests, which always helps.

Raising Arizona (1987)

All this time I never knew what movie Hey Fredrick's avatar came from...Now, I'll always think of him as H.I.

For years I've been hearing about Raising Arizona but knew nothing about it, so image my surprise when I seen that it was a Coen Brothers movie. I usually have high praise for the Coens, but mixed with some criticism of their more, uhmm, colorful choices.

First off I should say I liked this. I laughed, I liked Nic Cage I usually do...Holly Hunter was as cute as a button and John Goodman was good too though not as cute. Mostly I loved the set choices the Coen's used: the single wide trailer set in the middle of nowhere in the Arizona desert gave the film a good vige. I loved the interior of that trailer with it's cheap & ugly carpet and the early 1980s wooden framed furniture...add to that Nic Cage's loud & trashy clothes and that hair-do! All that detail made the film unique and that's a Coen Brothers trademark.

The characters were fun and interesting. I thought the script was creative and I liked the story. Occasionally when the script tried to be overly funny it didn't work for me but that didn't happen much. What I didn't like is: what I don't like in most Coen Brother films...when they include over the top elements...I did not need the biker bounty hunter, I thought that was too silly and not needed. But the film redeems itself with a really satisfying ending and that's something most movies blow but Raising Arizona got it right.

Glad to have watched this and if it wasn't chose by Hey Fredrick I'll be shocked.

I’m a Coen brothers fan boy, but for some reason Raising Arizona remains one I am lukewarm on after a couple watches. Does have some brilliant moments, especially early. Cage running down the road with diapers might be one of the funniest moments in movies for me. Need to give it another go.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Sad there's not more love for Forbidden Games. I found it very moving. Although I have to admit I have forgotten some of the details.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
The Wrestler

I think the biggest thing to see here is that there is a purpose and a chance for everybody in this world. It's just what you make of it that determines how everything will play out for you. Been awhile since I've felt so strong about a film.

Nailed it! (Sorry @cricket ...)

I’m a Coen brothers fan boy, but for some reason Raising Arizona remains one I am lukewarm on after a couple watches. Does have some brilliant moments, especially early. Cage running down the road with diapers might be one of the funniest moments in movies for me. Need to give it another go.
Here's how I ranked the Coen films I've watched:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (liked it)
Hail, Caesar!

True Grit (didn't care for, I prefer The Duke)
The Man Who Wasn't There

The Big Lebowski

Barton Fink

Miller's Crossing

Blood Simple

Sad there's not more love for Forbidden Games. I found it very moving. Although I have to admit I have forgotten some of the details.
I rated it a 4/5 and gave it a glowing review. Thought the subject matter might be of the kind that people don't end up loving for emotional reasons? But what do I know

It's been a few years but I was not a fan of Raising Arizona the 2 times I've seen it.
Surprised, I would have though you a fan back when it first came out.

Here's how I ranked the Coen films I've watched:

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (liked it)
Hail, Caesar!

True Grit (didn't care for, I prefer The Duke)
The Man Who Wasn't There

The Big Lebowski

Barton Fink

Miller's Crossing

Blood Simple
Not sure how you would feel about Fargo, it’s fantastic though. Definitely could see you digging No Country.

Actually just watched the original True Grit about a month ago. One of my favorite watches this year so I prefer it too. Doesn’t mean the Coen’s version isn’t top notch though. Both great movies.

Nomadland (2020)

All I really knew about this was that it starred Frances McDormand and that it won best picture. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I wasn't expecting much.

For about the first half of the film I was wondering what it was trying to tell me, and I was constantly thinking about what I thought about the potential message. I was thinking that whatever it was, I would probably not be totally on board with it. There could be multiple messages, but about halfway through the film there's a scene with Fern and her sister that fell in line with my way of thinking, so that's what I went with. Fern has been a nomad her entire life. It's not something that she needed to do or was forced into, but rather it's her nature. I see the whole nomad culture here as merely the setting of the film, which is about Fern coping with the grief of losing her husband.

Mcdormand is great as usual and fits the role perfectly. From what I understand there are real non actor nomads in the film, and it was easy to pinpoint 3 of them. The two women are fantastic. The man came off like a cult leader in every scene he was in until near the end when his last scene was perhaps the best in the entire film. These three nomads are not important to the film for the way they live, but rather because of there own personal stories. They could be doctors or lawyers and it wouldn't change much. Very good movie.

Not sure how you would feel about Fargo, it’s fantastic though. Definitely could see you digging No Country.

Actually just watched the original True Grit about a month ago. One of my favorite watches this year so I prefer it too. Doesn’t mean the Coen’s version isn’t top notch though. Both great movies.
I wouldn't be opposed to watching any Coen movies, so far they are hitting me from 3 all the way to 4.5. True Grit probably was a good film but you know how nostalgia works, my brain is programed for Wayne in that roll...But I bet any Coen film would be a fairly safe bet for me as a PR choice.

I rewatched Raising Arizona a few years ago with my room mate in the middle of a Nic Cage bender, after not recalling much about it, but then forgot all about it again until I tried to watch it in preparation for the Comedy Countdown. I wasn't really in the mood though, so I turned it off. I thought I previously liked the movie, but now I don't know.

I didn't realize Nomadland won Best Picture...but then again I didn't pay too close attention to the Oscars that year, as I hadn't seen a single film nominated in any category. I intended to watch Minari, but never got around to it. A couple months ago I finally saw Tenet, and I semi-recently watched Another Round as well, but that's it.

I've just finished watching Black Narcissus, but probably won't write anything about it until tomorrow.