Christine's reviews

→ in
Tools    

Spider (2002) director David Cronenberg

Spider is one of David Cronenberg's later films so don't expect body horror, instead it's a grim psychological drama. The film is set in a run down inner London deliberately washed out and bereft of people so it could be any decade from the war to the 1980s.

Ralph Fiennes stars as Dennis Cleg, a mentally disturbed man recently released from an institution into a gloomy half way house in the exact neighbourhood where he grew up. Wandering through familiar locations starts a series of well crafted flashbacks that allow Spider (his childhood nickname) to step into scenes from his childhood. This device is really disturbing as it allows the connection between the withdrawn child and the broken man to be clear..but are Spider's memories reliable?

Ralph Fiennes is very good in his role as Spider. His mental confusion is really believable. The way Cronenberg juxtaposes the scenes from the past with the ones from the present depicting Spider's delusions is very unsettling. Gabriel Byrne as his taciturn father doesn't have much to do but turns in his usual solid performance but Miranda Richardson is absolutely brilliant in the roles she has.

I saw Spider when it was first released and remember it left a big impression on me. I've not seen in since until last night, but I still find that it's a powerful depiction of mental confusion. It's not a happy film, you won't come away feeling an emotional bond to any of the characters. However the construction of the film is very clever, and when you start to think about people you see like Spider out on the streets then the story has a visceral sadness.

Unregistered User
Watched Spider fairly recently. I liked it although I do prefer Cronenbergs more visual/body horror. I do agree with your review, great performances all round and all in all, its a pretty bleak and gritty film. Great review Christine.

Sam - I don't like those body horror films. My skin crawls at the thought of ever watching The Fly again ! It's not so much the visuals , it's the disgusting sound effects that get me!

I avoided this after a friend (and fellow Cronenberg fan) told me it was awful. I also think it's partly been forgotten because he made the more commercial, and critically acclaimed A History Of Violence next. Your review certainly makes me want to take a look at Spider now. Thanks.

Spider (2002) director David Cronenberg

Spider is one of David Cronenberg's later films so don't expect body horror, instead it's a grim psychological drama. The film is set in a run down inner London deliberately washed out and bereft of people so it could be any decade from the war to the 1980s.
or some reason I haven't seen this one Have added it to my list thanks Christine

I hated Spider. Easily my least favorite Cronenberg.

Good review, though, Christine.

Thanks
What did you hate about it?
Everything.

Emotionally, I find Cronenberg's films very cold and clinical. If I find myself invested in one of his films, it's usually because of a captivating performance (Viggo in Eastern Promises) or through morbid fascination (Videodrome). Spider had neither. I'm not a fan of Ralph Fiennes. Not to say he isn't talented, but he has a tendency of appearing in films and taking on roles that completely disinterest me. In Spider, he's one step above a zombie, and most of the movie is just him wandering from place to place, receding into his memories, which we may or may not we able to trust as a viewer. Frankly, I found the movie exceptionally dull. No emotional connection whatsoever, and because I felt so detached from everything that was happening on screen, I was bored, and because I was bored, my mind wandered. Eventually I realized that I didn't even know what the hell was going on anymore, but I didn't care enough to rewind and get myself back into the movie.

Just a miserable viewing experience, really. By the time the credits rolled, I probably looked like Fiennes in that screenshot you used in your review.

Thanks Optimus

Capt - fair enough, it's not a laugh a minute film. I can see why people wouldn't like it. I think part of had appeal for me is that it's very evocative of a certain time and place in UK history. Yes there's no emotional connection, but then I'd be a bit worried if there was !

Mad Max Fury Road directed by George Miller

I only have three words for Mad Max Fury Road, oh my goodness...well that's a toned down version of what we were saying as we left the cinema...

George Miller has overseen a mighty revitalisation of his Mad Max series. One in which he has taken the core of the original Max and breathed into it all the technical capabilities the 21st century has given to filming especially the abilities to shoot using digital cameras that can really get into the heart of the action. He's kept any cgi to touch ups and very long shots. These vehicles have weight and are real cobbled together junkyard monsters. These guys are stuntmen and acrobats. This is a film that feels visceral and will have you ducking in your seat as the clash of metal fills your ears.
Tom Hardy as Max is almost mute, in fact the whole film is, but you don't miss speech when your whole vista is filled with such visual treats as a guy suspended on the front of a wagon playing heavy metal guitar as they go into battle!

I'd say Charlene Theron as Furiosa has more of an emotional range than Max as its her story really which is the basis of the storyline. She plays it beautifully too, tough yet vulnerable. The women are great in the film, from the girls who are set free from their horrendous chasity belts to the grizzled older warriors they meet on the way - some of whom I recognise from Aussie soaps from way back..nice touch.

I've avoided reading anything about this film so I could watch it with no prior knowledge. It did strike me half away through that the warboys who are the young men born post apocalypse who are being bred to fight and are promised to enter Valhalla are chillingly comparable to the youngsters who are going to fight today for ISIS. It's a comparison that has to be deliberate, and is actually quite heartrending when you see the youngster Nux realise what he's been promised is all a sham.

This is an immense piece of entertainment that will keep you on the edge of your seat for two solid hours without you even thinking about the time. It's one long breathtaking car chase and I loved it! Miller has done a splendid job, I couldn't pick one hole in it
4.5/5

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
What a ringing endorsement! You've almost sold me on it (you and Tom Hardy, anyway) and I didn't even like the first Mad Max...

I watched a few trailers for this last week and I have to say that it piqued my interest, which was a little surprising. As TN said, a ringing endorsement from you. Who knows, I might even make it to the cinema.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I don't have any great fondness for the original Mad Max trilogy but I'm really excited to see this. When I do I hope I love it as much as you appear to have Christine.