Asian Movie Challenge

Tools    

jiraffejustin, instead of just "feature films" you should allow entire series -- but only listed as one entry. of course i'm thinking of all those chinese cartoons.
I think that while those short anime series are more cinematic (more similar to movies) than US TV they still are quite different in feel, more like stuff like Band of Brothers, so they represent a midpoint between the 2 hour long movie and the multi season 50 hour long TV serial being significantly different than both.

If I was going to list the anime series I watched since this thread started 3 weeks they are 2: Rozen Maiden (2013) and Honey and Clover (2005). I watched only one Asian movie, re-watched Wings of Honneamise from 1987, over the past 20 days in fact the only movie I watched over the past 40 days or so.

I wouldn't consider this an Asian film even though most of Russia is technically in Asia it's an European country in the cultural sense (although different from Western European countries).
yeah i finally looked at the wikipedia post, and it's ridiculous to go by the asian continent.

everyone knows that, even today, we have no difficulty separating the middle east, east europe, and the far east. this is because it's not just a matter of arbitrary borders but historical lineage, both in the political and cultural development of each civilization and the spread of its people. it's not that i'm trying to exclude any countries from the coveted title of "asian," but rather that i think you risk making the category of "asian film" meaningless by throwing so many disparate cultures into it.

so yeah, again, if it comes down to a tie-breaker, this is another thing to consider.

Memories of a Murder - Joon-ho Bong Wow. This movie should be required viewing for the Asian movie challenge for those who haven't seen it. It's just that good. The truth is I like these types of movies, but so often they are just so badly done that I feel a little bit dumb for watching them. I think I even might have said that I was done with the whole thriller/cop genre. Thank you, South Korea for giving us directors that no how to put together decent detective thriller.

I've only seen three of Bong's movies (he doesn't have a whole lot more in his filmography) but I list him whenever I talk about good directors and I get excited when I hear his name. He's in top form with Memories. Bong is a rare director that can give you complex and real characters, good story, taught and tense atmosphere and infuse the whole thing with his brand of humor.

The lead is a ridiculous, brutal not-so- bright detective way in over his head. His partner is more brutal and even less bright than he is. Bong is skilled at letting the characters piss you off, make you laugh and then eventually find sympathy for them. I even liked the main character quite a bit by the end. Credit goes to Kang-ho Song as well who is becoming one of my favorite actors.

As ridiculous and humorous as the two characters might get sometimes, they are always grounded and real. They never venture over into cartoon character territory which happens so often with less skilled directors and actors. They are off-set by a well educated smart detective from Seoul who has come to work the case. The relationship between the men is an important part of the movie and is just another plus to tack on the the many good things I can say about Memories.

Oh, and the ending is excellent. A+

My Asian Movie Count 13
This is one of my favourite Korean films .

Tai Chi Hero

Sequel to the more outlandishly entertaining steampunk kung-fu film Tai Chi Zero, this film chills out a bit while increasing the cheese. Even though the stakes should be higher given the possibility of a famine, it never really feels that way, so it's sort of a flatline viewing, but anyone who enjoyed the first will enjoy this, just on a lesser scale.

The Life of Oharu (1952) - Kenji Mizoguchi
+
There are quite a few Hollywood classics that I don't like as much as most people - The Maltese Falcon, Vertigo, Sunset Boulevard, Citizen Kane, etc., so I guess it makes sense that it would be the same with Japanese movies. I'm not a big fan of Rashomon for example and The Life of Oharu was another that left me feeling flat. It was so melodramatic - basically a collection of scenes where over and over life kicks Oharu in the teeth. Unfortunately it all got too much and I stopped caring. I loved Sansho the Bailiff and I'm sure I'll love other Mizoguchi movies but not this

The Go Master (2006) - Tian Zhuang Zhuang

Visually, this is a masterpiece - and I mean a masterpiece like In the Mood For Love or Spring, Summer ... Unfortunately it is so incredibly slow, much like a game of Go, that it was at times hard to enjoy. Chang Chen is good and the story is interesting but most of my enjoyment came from how it looked.

My Asian Movie Count: 23

Daughters, Wives & a Mother (1960) - Mikio Naruse
-
Very good family drama with Setsuko Hara & Tatsuya Nakadai. Hara is the highlight - as always.

No Regrets For Our Youth (1946) - Akira Kurosawa

Setsuko Hara again Probably the weakest film of I've seen for both her and Kurosawa but still decent.

My Asian Movie Count: 25

Ivan's Childhood (Andrei Tarkovsky, (1962) -

Lower-tier Tarkovsky is still pretty damn good, isn't he? I think my only problem with it was a personal preference thing. I've never really been a big war movie guy. There are quite a few I respect, like Apocalypse Now and The Thin Red Line, but I've never been especially taken by a war film. I wish I was. Still, I thought this was very well-done, and it was interesting seeing Tarkovsky start exploring some of the themes he is now known for.

My Asian Movie Count: 4

The Life of Oharu (1952) - Kenji Mizoguchi
+
There are quite a few Hollywood classics that I don't like as much as most people - The Maltese Falcon, Vertigo, Sunset Boulevard, Citizen Kane, etc., so I guess it makes sense that it would be the same with Japanese movies. I'm not a big fan of Rashomon for example and The Life of Oharu was another that left me feeling flat. It was so melodramatic - basically a collection of scenes where over and over life kicks Oharu in the teeth. Unfortunately it all got too much and I stopped caring. I loved Sansho the Bailiff and I'm sure I'll love other Mizoguchi movies but not this
Well, I didn't like The Bad Sleep Well for some reason. I loved The Life of Oharu though, it's in my top 200, it's a very powerful drama film (well, that's the typical characteristic of Mizoguchi's films).

My Asian Movie Count: 23
While I don't have much free time right now I plan to do Asian movie marathons in a few weeks when I get more free time. I will watch a bunch of those 50 minutes OVA's to accumulate as many "points" as I can .

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Well, I didn't like The Bad Sleep Well for some reason. I loved The Life of Oharu though, it's in my top 200, it's a very powerful drama film (well, that's the typical characteristic of Mizoguchi's films).
I always thought Mizoguchi would be more your style, I was surprised you seem to prefer Ozu.

I think I have to watch more of both to say which one I like more. On average I rate both similarly, I rate Ugetsu higher than all Ozu I have watched besides Tokyo Story so I could say they are more evenly matched.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
They're on the same highest tier of filmmakers, unlike some other touted Japanese filmmakers of the period... I prefer Ozu because I feel more personally connected with him and the essences of his films. One great thing about Ozu is that he's one of the few directors whose signature is in every single frame of his movies. Every shot is his own.

Got some free time and decided to spend it wisely:

Legend of the Galatic Heroes: My Conquest is a Sea of Stars -
+

F*ck it I will submit this 59 minutes of pure anime spinoff gold to the next Hall of Fame. The whole franchise represents the greatest monument to nerdism ever made.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Overture to a New War -

Slightly weaker but still great.

Cardcaptor Sakura: The Movie -

I probably would have enjoyed this one more if I were 15 years younger. Still the watercolour depiction of Hong Kong of 1999, at the peak of the city's skyline beauty before it was violated by a couple of horrible skyscrapers recently build alone makes the film worth watching.

Asian movie count: 4

Let the night air cool you off
I watched Empire of Passion about a week ago. The movie received the Mr Minio kinky seal of approval, so you know it's good.

My count: 3

I need to step my game up.

Let's rock!

Interstella 5555 -

Basically a huge music clip, quite entertaining but I regarded it as rather superficial.

Trigun: Badlands Rumble -

Based on the original TV series (which was based on a manga), it's a very entertaining film but lacks the artistic substance that made the 1998 series a great masterpiece.

Mardock Scramble: The First Compression

Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion

Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust

Film trilogy that represents one of the best clones of Blade Runner around. It's cyberpunk science fiction of high quality with very good writing and decent direction and animation quality. Thanks for Jal90 for inspiring me to watch this.

Asian film count: 9

Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame

Hark Tsui's recent commercial project. A kind of Chinese penny dreadful I suppose, but with a massive budget. Pulls in many directions without ever feeling complete, but entertaining. Also, is it some law that the prettiest women in China star in his films? Every time man.

Xiu Xiu: The Sent-Down Girl

First Chinese film I've seen by a female director. Some glory shots of Tibet to go along with the saddest film I've seen in a while. Ending was kinda poor unfortunately, but a superb debut nonetheless.

Good Morning (Yasujiro Ozu,1959

This movie was my second Ozu movie and it was easier for me to enjoy the film since I am more familiar with his work. A thing I noticed from this movie that is different from Late Spring, the first Ozu movie I saw is that the color of this film makes it more calming, while still making his signature trademarks in this film. If you haven't give Ozu a second chance based on how you had a hard time watching the first film that you seen of his, I would recommend you give another chance of his filmmaking skills.

Rating: 8/10

Asian movie count: 2

Chappie doesn't like the real world
The Man From Nowhere-Jeong-beom Lee I thought this movie was pretty crappy, really. Anything the movie has to offer has been done much better elsewhere. Parts of the movie put me in mind of the much better movie The Chaser. The protagonist must save a wayward mother and her offspring. A friendship develops between child and protagonist. It's handled with much heavy-handedness and manipulation where in The Chaser, it felt a lot more genuine.

Then there is the done-to-death storyline. The man from nowhere is actually an ex-military secret ops super badass. He has a tragic past.
WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
They killed his wife and unborn child just as he is coming out of a baby store. Imagine that.
There is another super badass on the opposing team and I was a little intrigued by his character, but they don't do anything special with him.

With not a lot to interest me, I waited all movie for the showdown between the kinda hot super badass good guy and the way hotter super badass bad guy. Even that was pretty anti-climatic.

I was going to criticize the actor for being too young to play his part. I looked his age up and he was born in 1977, so scratch that. I will criticize his boy band haircut though. Thank god he cuts it. D

My Asian Movie Count 14

The Man From Nowhere-Jeong-beom Lee I thought this movie was pretty crappy, really. Anything the movie has to offer has been done much better elsewhere. Parts of the movie put me in mind of the much better movie The Chaser. The protagonist must save a wayward mother and her offspring. A friendship develops between child and protagonist. It's handled with much heavy-handedness and manipulation where in The Chaser, it felt a lot more genuine.
This is funny. If you switch the movie titles, that'd be how I felt. Granted, both of them I felt were manipulative.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
This is funny. If you switch the movie titles, that'd be how I felt. Granted, both of them I felt were manipulative.
Yeah, they both lay it on a little thick but I think The Chaser didn't rely solely on the manipulation. For whatever reason, I actually cared about the fate of Chaser kid and I thought Nowhere kid was a little nauseating. Maybe it's that The Chaser was infused with humor and I liked the characters much more. About the time the Nowhere reveals her nickname, I was on tragic cute kid overload.