Superficiality Thread

Tools    

I've always thought the most unbelievable thing about Shallow Hal (which my sister really like BTW just to let you know how bad that film must be) is that the woman found Jack Black attractive? WTF's with that?

I've always thought the most unbelievable thing about Shallow Hal (which my sister really like BTW just to let you know how bad that film must be) is that the woman found Jack Black attractive? WTF's with that?
First of all, I dare say that Jack Black really isn't as ugly as you think.

Second, I guess they figured -- she's fat. She belongs with another fat person.

And she weighed more than him!

First of all, I dare say that Jack Black really isn't as ugly as you think.
I don't doubt this for a second. Let's face it, he couldn't be.

Second, I guess they figured -- she's fat. She belongs with another fat person.

And she weighed more than him!
This is true, but in Hollywood fat, he's about her size, while she doesn't actually exist.

She existed in the movie, though.

In the movie, fat Gwyneth Paltrow existed. Thin Gwyneth Paltrow wasn't real.

I like Just Friends. I saw that at the movies when it came out.

"Hey Look it's Masterman"
Following on from the other thread, I don't think it's wrong to judge a movie on the actors/actresses appearance. I look at it as, a huge percentage of movies involve beautiful people. They get the role for looking the way they do, so isn't that basically wrong?. People wouldn't like Pretty Woman if it was some woman who looked like a foot. Movies have become all about Beauty, they thrive on sex appeal and we as an audience love it.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Masterman, you are using a movie with Pretty in the title and it's a romantic movie. In that example, sure you would expect attractive leads. No one is saying that it is never ok to use attractive actors or that you're a completely superficial person to watch a movie for the sole reason that you find an actor attractive.

I called a person superficial for constantly criticizing movies for not having actors that she found attractive and for starting a thread about a movie (an independent movie) where the main criticism was that the actors were ugly. I find that superficial. Others may not have such a problem with it, but I find it a really narrow way to look at all movies.

It's not the liking to look at things that are pleasing to the eye that I don't like, it's when someone doesn't seem to get beyond that or places too much importance on it.

what if there was a film that had great artistic merit, but because of its avant-garde nature, you found it inaccessible and unwatchable -- except for the appearance of the lead who you find stunning -- and as you focus on the graceful actions of this person scene by scene you find yourself becoming more and more comfortable with experience as a whole, finally settling into the film's unusual flow, learning to appreciate it for the first time?