September 11th, motion picture?

Tools    

September 11th, motion picture?

It’s been three years since the attacks on the World Trade Centres and the Pentagon… where thousands of lives were killed by acts of terrorism and an arrogant government. Seems like a good movie eh? No, there isn’t a movie being made on this tragedy, or not yet.
I would like to see a major motion picture based on the day of 2001, September 11th. Something along the lines of “Pearl Harbour”. The scenes pans over to both sides, showing the years/months/days leading up to the attack. The preparations, the denial of attack, the American invasion of the responsible nation, prosecution of nationality among peoples who had no link to the destructive acts… Wait, this is ‘exactly’ like Pearl Harbour.

A lot of people may not agree with it or completely agree with it. What do you think?

FYI: I was thinking the movie would follow more of a action based genre then a documentary.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I really don't think it's needed. I believe it will flop, and it would need a HUGE budget for it.

I wipe my ass with your feelings
The movie would be HILARIOUS!

Bush would be at his ranch for two hours, at a book reading session for thirty minutes, and wide-eyed looked the rest of the time.

I rather clip my nails then watch a movie like that. What story line would you base it on....it would look like a docuementry if you didn't have a story to it.

It would be a great film.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
There is one called The Guys, about a fire captain who lost a lot of men in 911, and had to eulogize 4 of them. I sw the play, which was pretty good, but I've heard the film sucks. I really think it's too soon, even now, to not be really upsetting to a lot of people.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
There is a fantastic documentary called 9/11 by 2 french brothers Jules & Gedeon Naudet. It's their footage that everyone saw of the plane hitting the building, they started out making a docu on probie firemen in New York, and soon become involved at the twin towers. One of the brothers is inside the second tower, and uses the light from his camera to find his way out. I think this was shown on HBO, it was on BBC over here, but I highly recommend it. Having shared a flat in NY with a fireman, IMO it's too early to make a film, emotions are still high, and memories are still fresh in the minds of those who lost loved ones.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
There is one called The Guys, about a fire captain who lost a lot of men in 911, and had to eulogize 4 of them. I sw the play, which was pretty good, but I've heard the film sucks.
Didn't see the play, but the film is quite good, actually. Very subtle and real, without overplaying the emotions to soap opera level, letting the inherent drama reveal itself instead of constantly underscoring it. Anthony LaPaglia and Sigourney Weaver are both very good in the leads. Sigourney's husband Jim Simpson directed, and the original playwright Anne Nelson adapted the screenplay with him. Simpson, Weaver and LaPaglia were all involved with the stage production as well.

Sigourney Weaver and Bill Murray in Anne Nelson’s The
Guys
, an Off-Broadway play produced at the Flea, a
theater not far from the World Trade Center that re-
sponded to the aftermath of the tragedy.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Neutral Milk Hotel
i believe if there was an action film made about this it would strike alot of controversy. Think about the people who lost there friends and family in the tragedy. How do you think you would respond to an action film made about this?
" I see in your eyes, the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, whe we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day. May and hour of wolves and shattered shields before the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day! This day we Fight! For all that you hold dear on this good earth, I bid you stand men of the west!!"
-Aragorn: The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King

I just know they're coming to kill me.
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
i believe if there was an action film made about this it would strike alot of controversy. Think about the people who lost there friends and family in the tragedy. How do you think you would respond to an action film made about this?
Define "Action" in this sense... I don't think (at least I'm sure he doesn't think this) that he means action as in "Ahnold Action". I think by action he means by showing a vivid detail of the planes going into the buildings, explosions, and such, and what the terrorists did in the planes before they destroyed them, all while having the drama of those struggling for survival.

Neutral Milk Hotel
I just think certain people would react differently to this film if it was ever made.

Seriously, I don't think there needs to be a movie about 9/11--it would potentially trivialize a national tragedy. An "action movie" about 9/11? Give me a break!

On the other hand, I would totally support a movie that begins with 9/11 and then goes on to dramatize the worldwide socio-political repurcussions of that event over the following four years. Now that would be eye-opening, IMO.

Originally Posted by darkhorse
On the other hand, I would totally support a movie that begins with 9/11 and then goes on to dramatize the worldwide socio-political repurcussions of that event over the following four years. Now that would be eye-opening, IMO.
Sort of like Saving Private Ryan with the D-Day invasion?

Neutral Milk Hotel
No! Not Sorta Like That At All!

Originally Posted by Uncle Rico
No! Not Sorta Like That At All!
Isn't that what darkhorse was talking about? He said to like mix it up with today's current event's, and SPR pretty much did that with the D-Day invasion and then the crew going out to find Pvt. Ryan.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I think such a movie would be seen as an attempt to cash in on this tradgedy and spur patriotism through blatant propaganda and would affend many people including myself. I don't think enough time has passed to have the historical perspective to portray this fairly.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Didn't see the play, but the film is quite good, actually.
I'm very glad to hear this, Holden.
I saw the play in LA of course, with Tim Robbins and Susan Sarandon in the roles. They were great and I thought the script was nicely done, a great concept. I'm happy to hear it got good treatment. I'll check out the film.

A would not suggest making a film until at least a decade after 9/11. It's just too soon. I think it would be too personnal for those effected, and besides I think those people that lost somene should have the final say about if and when.

Originally Posted by darkhorse
Seriously, I don't think there needs to be a movie about 9/11--it would potentially trivialize a national tragedy. An "action movie" about 9/11? Give me a break!

Careful... your Django is showing...

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

Originally Posted by Caitlyn
Careful... your Django is showing...
Excuse me?...

Originally Posted by Strummer521
I think such a movie would be seen as an attempt to cash in on this tradgedy and spur patriotism through blatant propaganda and would affend many people including myself. I don't think enough time has passed to have the historical perspective to portray this fairly.
Dead on! I agree 100%.