What is your favorite Martial Arts film? Favorite actors?

Tools    

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Zatoichi - Beat Takeshi
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Originally Posted by Dazed&Confused
Zatoichi - Beat Takeshi
That's not a martial arts film, that's a chambara or swordplay film - sorry that's dead picky but true

AznSuperman
Jet Li-Fist of Legend
Jackie Chan-Project A
Tony Jaa-Ong Bak

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Originally Posted by christine
That's not a martial arts film, that's a chambara or swordplay film - sorry that's dead picky but true
Martial arts, also known as fighting systems, are bodies of codified practices or traditions of unarmed and armed combat, usually without the use of guns and other modern weapons.

So Zatoichi qualifies.

Tarintino freak.
Enter the dragon - bruce lee

Kill Bill Vol:1+2 - Uma thurman and David Carriden

I want to see showgun assasin, lady snowblood and seven samurai...

Instead of Shogun Assassin, see the real thing- Lone Wolf and Cub: Sword of Vengeance and Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart at the River Styx, heck and see the other 4 as well.

And Zatoichi is NOT martial arts, maybe if you get technical over semantics etc it could qualify but by standards, it's as Christine states- swordplay.

I'm not keen on Tsui Hark's work, like Once Upon a Time in China, too much wire work. The only martial arts film anyone needs is Drunken Master.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Hey Pyro since your the resident Asian film expert I was wondering: what are your top ten Asian films?

And Zatoichi is NOT martial arts, maybe if you get technical over semantics etc it could qualify but by standards, it's as Christine states- swordplay.
so u wouldnt call Kendo and Laido martial arts? Maybe not in the new version but in the 60's version yes...

Originally Posted by Strummer521
Hey Pyro since your the resident Asian film expert I was wondering: what are your top ten Asian films?

I think you mean Linespalsy. But as for my top 10, quite tough, these are just 20 i recommend, no particular order. Quite a range for you, China, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Thailand.

1)Infernal Affairs (Wu Jian Dao) (2002, Andrew Lau) Hong Kong
2)Oldboy (2003, Chan-wook Park) South Korea
3)Drunken Master (Jui Kuen) (1978, Yuen Woo Ping) Hong Kong
4)Bird People in China (1998, Takashi Miike) Japan
5)Happiness of the Katakuris (Katakuri-ke no Kofuku) (2001, Takashi Miike) Japan
6)Tears of a Black Tiger (Fah Talai Jone) (2000, Wisit Sasanatieng) Thailand
7) Way of the Dragon (Meng Long Guojiang) (1972, Bruce Lee)
8)Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart in the Land of Demons (Kozure Ôkami: Meifumando) (1973, Kenji Misumi) Japan
9)Hard Boiled (Lashou Shentan) (1992, John Woo) Hong Kong
10)The Killer (Die xue shuang xiong) (1989, John Woo) Hong Kong
11)Zatoichi (2003, Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano) Japan
12.Hana-bi (1997, Takeshi 'Beat' Kitano) Japan
13.Shaolin Master Killer a.k.a 36th Chamber of Shaolin (Shao Lin san shi liu fang) (1978, Chia-Liang Liu) Hong Kong
14. Chungking Express (Chong Qing Sen Lin) (1994, Wong Kar Wai) Hong Kong
15.Ninja Scrolls(Jubei Ninpucho) (1993, Yoshiaki Kawajiri) Japan
16.Tetsuo (1988, Shinya Tsukuamoto) Japan
17.Versus (2000, Ryuhei Kitamura) Japan
18.Hero (Ying Xiong) (2002, Zhang Yimou) China/Hong Kong
19.Akira (1988, Katsuhiro Otomo) Japan
20.Ran (1985, Akira Kurosawa) Japan

Originally Posted by lilsamuraijoe
so u wouldnt call Kendo and Laido martial arts? Maybe not in the new version but in the 60's version yes...
I just think when Martial Arts is used as a generic term it relates to hand to hand combat, not swordplay. As i said, perhaps technically swordplay etc can be classed as martial arts. You get me?

Movie Forums Member
Film: Side Kicks

Actor: Danny Glover

Game over man..Game over!
Rumble in the Bronx
Enter the Dragon
House of Flying Daggers..just saw it

Originally Posted by got2envy
Rumble in the Bronx
Enter the Dragon
House of Flying Daggers..just saw it
Good choices. I agree with House of Flying Daggers ... lot more substance and a good plot too.

I'd have to add "Heroic Trio" to the list ... only because it had Michelle Yeoh, Anita Mui, and and Maggie Cheung in there. 3 fabulous babes.

Originally Posted by cutter
Good choices. I agree with House of Flying Daggers ... lot more substance and a good plot too.
You say that, but i know several chinese folk who would really disagree with you.

well, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I'm an ABC, so maybe that's where the discrepancy comes from.

ABC - American Born Chinese.

Perhaps your chinese friends are more intune to the culture than I am.

A system of cells interlinked
Hey, Rumble.... I had forgotten about that one. Has the cool fight on the pool table, right? Crissakes, I own it! Must be buried somewhere in the collection.

Meanwhile:

Hero
Shaolin Invincibles! Could be the worst film ever, or the corniest, but man, the king in this film is SICK. So fast and fluid...worth it to see his moves. Just be careful of the kung fu gorillas wearing sneakers!

Eating you Since 1984
is the Matrix considered Martial Arts ?