What is your favorite Martial Arts film? Favorite actors?

Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Riki-Oh The Story of Ricky.
Enter the Dragon.
Rumble in the Bronx.
First Strike.
Kill Bill Vol. 1 ( An americanized Martial arts hybrid flick).
Big Trouble in Little China.
Versus.

Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee all the way with Sonny Chiba.

Jackie Chan( in Police Story 3,and Shanghai Knights) and Jet Li(in Kiss of the Dragon and The One)

All the Bruce Lee films were also great.
"Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" was a superb martial arts film.

My favorite Martial Arts film definitely have to be Enter the Dragon and my favorit eactor would have to be either Bruce Lee, Jet Li, or Jackie Chan.

So is Jet Li Japanese? Or Chinese?

Originally Posted by rocklarky
kung pow!
best ever, lol
thats was actually a bit crap but i did like the cow fighting.

Any bruce lee movies are cool.

Actors: Bruce Lee( the best ), Jackie Chan (funny), Jet Li (fighting is good but not the acting)

http://www.dotworlds.net

A system of cells interlinked
Just watched Chop Socky, a special about the kung fu film industry. Very cool documentary, talking about various stars and directors, and the influence of the Shaw Bros. etc... Check it out if it's on in your area.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Shogun Assassin is the classic tale of Lone Wolf & Cub

Fists of Fury and Enter the Dragon is Bruce Lee at his best

Drunken Master is the pinnacle of Jackie Chan's career, Police Story is very good but Drunken Master is better

Seven Samurai is the ultimate Martial Arts directed by the legendary Akira Kurosawa
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Kickboxer and Bloodsport

l8r

Fist of legend was a good remake of fists of fury, the fighting was awesome. Red sun was a great samurai movie and there was also a movie that had a samurai with his baby in a wooden pram with blades tha came out of the wheels, that movie was great too.

I rule
Tsui Harks "the Blade" is my favourite, love that movie ...

Also

Fist of legend (Better than fist of fury IMO)
Lone wolf and cub
Zatoichi ("Beat" Takashi)
Zatoichi (Series)
Once upon a time in China (Series)
18 Bronze Men
Snake in the monkeys shadow
24 Chambers of Shoilin
Drive
Iron Monkey

Fav martial arts stars ... Bolo Yeung, Jet Li, Donnie Yeung, Michelle Yeo

REVIEWS

Anonymous Last told me to drop in ...

This is an area of film that I've only recently gotten into (since around May) but have liked quite a few a lot. My favorites are easilly The Blade, and Once Upon a Time in China, two great and totally different movies from Tsui Hark. The Prodigal Son (Sammo Hung) is another one that's pretty high on my list. Other memorable ones include Dragons Forever, Operation Condor, The Drunken Master (as well as the '94 sequel), Police Story (1&3), Iron Monkey and many, many others besides.

For comedies the best I've seen are Project A 1 and 2. Not really a martial arts movie per se, but Richard Ng's fighting in the classic Winners and Sinners is one of my favorite single moments in a martial arts movie for the genre.

Another subgenre that's held a few of my favorite films from Hong Kong is the 'Horror/Comedy' category, with Encounters of the Spooky Kind and Mr. Vampire being the two most noteable one's I've seen.

Martial arts fantasy is a subgenre I need to explore more. So far I've only seen two - The Bride With White Hair and Zu, Warriors of the Magic Mountain. Zu was inconsistent, varrying from beginning to end between "a constant stream of cinematic revelation" and "convoluted mess", and Bride did nothing for me at all. Some nice Images mixed in with some really horrendous ones and a not so great story.

I dont really know enough of the important names to make a comprehensive list yet, but so far I've really loved Yuen Biao (Prodigal Son, Once Upon a Time in China, Project A, Operation Condor, Dragons Forever, Zu) and Lam Ching Ying (Prodigal Son, Mr. Vampire) in some of their roles. Lam Ching Ying's 'chinese opera diva', from Prodigal Son is a high point of cinema -- chinese or other -- for me, and Yuen Biao was fantastic in Zu and particularly in Once Upon a Time in China, where he was sadly replaced in the lesser sequels by lesser actor Siu Chung Mok.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yuen Biao hooks up with Chan and Hung in Meals on Wheels. I don't remember the plot being up to much, but some of the finale fights where pretty snazzy.

Sammo's first directorial film Iron Fisted Monk is pretty good, and so's The Magnificent Butcher. He does a nice turn as a 'crazy-monkey' beggar in Knockabout too, but Yuen's the main star there (for a change).

Just watched Wing Chun, with Michelle Yeoh from Crouching Tiger... It's got all the standard wayward comedy subplots and uneven narrative, but Yeoh is pretty good as the butch heroine who takes the fight to a gang of thieves. Bit of a female-empowering storyline too, which is pretty novel.

Hmm, I had been thinking (for some inexplicible reason) that Wheels on Meals was another semi-sequel to Winners and Sinners but it looks like I was quite wrong. I'll have to check it out (unfortunately I wont get a chance for a couple months since I'm about to go back to school, where there is no good source for H.K. video rentals), thanks Golgot. The three of them are also together in Dragons Forever, which is really great. Biao's character is a nut.

I was actually considering taking Wing Chun out the other day. I really love Michelle Yeoh, but still have a lingering bad taste from The Royal Warriors (aka - Yes, Madam III) which I also saw recently. I'll note that for future reference and Magnificent Butcher (which I heard of but knew nothing about) as well.

Sammo and Yuen are great together in Prodigal Son (which is just a great movie all around), but I think my favorite film for seeing them together is Zu, Warriors on the Magic Mountain. Have you seen it? I thought the front end of that movie - particularly the opening scenes with Sammo and Yuen playing friends/enemies in a hilarious sendup of militaristic nationalism is a high point for the genre.

I really look at a HK films in a similar light to stuff like the silent comedies of Buster Keaton. Often lacking depth or even continuity or rife with cliches, but then the whole thing is really just a contrivance to set up some really wonderful stunts and gags, which are the bread and butter of most of these movies. Stuff like The Blade and Once Upon a Time in China are an exception, of course.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by linespalsy
I really look at a HK films in a similar light to stuff like the silent comedies of Buster Keaton. Often lacking depth or even continuity in the text or with pretty cliche setups, but then the whole thing is really just a contrivance to set up some really wonderful stunts and gags, which are the bread and butter of most of these movies. Stuff like The Blade and Once Upon a Time in China are an exception, of course.
Too right.

I haven't seen Blade or Zu, i'll try and check them out. Prodigal Son is one of the best, without a doubt. It's always good when you get a little insight into chinese culture along the way (even if mainly from a HK perspective ).

Drunken Master starring Jacky Chan. Man the way he bit off part of that guy's scalp...

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Martial arts fantasy is a subgenre I need to explore more. So far I've only seen two - The Bride With White Hair and Zu, Warriors of the Magic Mountain. Zu was inconsistent, varrying from beginning to end between "a constant stream of cinematic revelation" and "convoluted mess", and Bride did nothing for me at all. Some nice Images mixed in with some really horrendous ones and a not so great story.
Try White Snake Green Snake - you said you like Tsui Hark films so there's another one for you with a more fantasy theme.

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
" Enter the Dragon " by Bruce Lee, the original and best.
I love " Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon " as well, and from a fighting point of view, Jet Li is brilliant. it's a shame they can't find too many great films for him to be in, " Hero " was o.k., but it dragged a little.
Would like to see Stephen Chow do a proper martial arts film, again from a fighting point of view, he has great technique, and uses forms similar to what I'm learning.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'Beat' Takeshi

Tony Jaa is like the next Bruce Lee except his movies are Muay Thai and not Kung Fu which makes for far more realistic viewing....

AznSuperman
Jet Li- Fist of Legend, Contract Killer, Fong Sai Yuk 1&2
Jackie Chan- Project A, Drunken Master II, Police Story
Tony Jaa- Ong Bak
Michelle Yeoh- Heroic Trio

Beat Takashi hasn't done any martial arts films to my knowledge.

Anyway films- Shaolin Master Killer (Enter 36th Chamber Shaolin)- Gordon Liu (he's in Kill Bill). Great films

Drunken Master- Sam Seed and early Chan.

In fact, the three brothers- Yuen Biao, Sammo Hung and Jackie Chan all rock. As does Sonny Chiba, Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris