5 Favourite Classic movies of all time.

Tools    

This is the thread where the classics go.

I rule
Well depends how you define classic, I will say pre 1970 as a guide for my choices ...

Le Salaire de la peur aka The Wages of Fear (1953)

Carnival of Souls (1962)

Django (1966)

Night of the Living Dead (1968)

Du rififi chez les hommes aka Rififi(1955)

REVIEWS

Anonymous Last told me to drop in ...

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Rififi is awesome!!! For those in the dark, Rififi is Jules Dassin's 1955 heist movie set in Paris. At the time Dassin was blacklisted for being a Communist, but his movie is the original heist movie, and is often referenced by many directors, including Tarantino.
The actual heist of the movie is filmed in silence, no music score, just the noises of the protagonists and their tools.
If you can hack watching older black and white sub-titled films, then this is a must.

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I rule
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Rififi is awesome!!! For those in the dark, Rififi is Jules Dassin's 1955 heist movie set in Paris. At the time Dassin was blacklisted for being a Communist, but his movie is the original heist movie, and is often referenced by many directors, including Tarantino.
The actual heist of the movie is filmed in silence, no music score, just the noises of the protagonists and their tools.
If you can hack watching older black and white sub-titled films, then this is a must.
... indeed Rififi is a must see if you can watch B&W subbed movies, simply fantatsic film, the scene towards the end in the car is also well worth looking out for, although the whole movie is a classic.

The Exorcist, Dracula, Frankenstein, Wolfman, King Kong, and The Devil in Miss Jones.

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Chinatown
Blade Runner
Once Upon A Time In The West
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
Taxi Driver
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Porky's
Porky's II The Next Day
Porky's III Porky's Revenge

No need to list any other films

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I'm following the pre-1970 criteria that feral cat did.

1. Casablanca
2. The Graduate
3. Dial M For Murder
4. West Side Story
5. Night of the Living Dead (sidenote: my Dad's favorite horror movie).

Have to agree on a lot of films here really. My favourite film of those that has been mentioned must be Casablanca, though i haven't seen Rififi. Then you have Taxi Driver, which is a fantastic piece. The Good, The Bad And the Ugly is also extremely good.

Of films that hasn't been mentioned I have to spit in some of my favourite classics. 2001: A Space Oddyssey, Vertigo, North by Northwest and Pulp Fiction.

Have to see Rififi...

When do you know if a film is a classic or not?

Frankenstein
Dracula
Phantom of the Opera
The Wolfman
The Cabinet of Dr. Calligari

Well, I don't really care for most classics. Usually just find them boring. I'll go with any movies before 1980 as true classics...

1. Rocky (1976)
2. Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
3. Rocky II (1979)
4. Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
5. Alien (1979)

I'd also have to add Spartacus (1960), Jason and the Argonauts (1963), Superman (1978), Night of the Living Dead (1968), The Godfather (1972), The Godfather Part II (1974), Blazing Saddles (1974), Death Wish (1974), and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971)

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Classics to me are films that are over 20 years old..

1. Night of the Living Dead
2. Day of the Dead
3. The Crazies
4. The Evil Dead
5. A Clockwork Orange

I love Romero.

AznSuperman
Superman The Movie
Batman Begins
Fist of Legend
Night of the Living Dead(80's)
Spider-Man 2

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Heh, Night of the Living Dead was made in 1968 and re-made in 1990.... And forgive me for asking... but on what grounds do you consider Spider-man2 and Batman Begins classic films?

Watching over your shoulder
at this moment, my list would go thus... in no particular order:

12 angry men
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Goldfinger
Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

There are LOADS of 'classic' movies that I love, but I just cannot think of them at the moment!

Happy Gilmore
The Lion King
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Donnie Darko
Bowling for Columbine

Jaws
Scarface
Psycho
American Graffitti
Ferris Bueller's Day Off

......and lots more