Pets

Tools    

Yes, but they adamantly say it's a service dog although obviously it's not. It's probably more of a night thing though.
The standard excuse I've heard is "therapy animal" -- everything from pigs to snakes. Yeah, right!

My two rescue cats. We also have 3 rescues who live outside. I also do tons of TNR.

This is Kandy. Even sweeter than her name.

This is Looby Loo when I first got her. Very nervous cat, but I love her to pieces.

I am ratless for the first time since I turned 19, back in 2000.

Over the last few days, both of my boys took a bad turn for the worse. I had to have Ralphie euthanized on Tuesday night and Felix was euthanized this morning. The average lifespan for a rat is only about two years and both were older than that, so it wasn't totally unexpected. They'd also both been struggling with chronic respiratory issues and both had multiple tumors which could not be safely operated on due to their respiratory problems. They'd been on medications but in the end it failed to help and I had to say goodbye.

I think I'm gonna wait awhile before getting more. My heart hurts too much, though I know seeing that empty cage every day is gonna be tough too.

Rest in peace Wreck-It Ralph and Fix-It Felix, Jr.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I'm sorry for your loss.

I am sorry, Miss Vicky, but they only live for two years and you considered surgery on them? I'd get a stuffed animal next time.
Wow, insensitive much?

My pets are my family, so yes I absolutely considered surgery for them and have had tumors removed from previous rats. Anyone who isn't willing to do what's best for an animal shouldn't have that animal at all.

Wow, I thought I was gonna seem like a major ass for saying that, but she repped me. It's what I think, though. I would find it hard to deal with pets that die every two years. I can understand fish and other pets that are kinda more for "looks" than fun and companionship, or even a snake or something, but cute little animals you dress up and take pictures of? Two years isn't really a lot of time after all that emotional investment.
I clicked the +rep on accident.

Yes, two years is a very short time, but they pack a lot of love into it and they're worth the heartache.

The thing I feel is -- yes, the rats are your pet, and if you wanna give them surgeries, that's your right. At the same time, I think -- they're rats. They have to die at some point. That's nature. There's plenty of rats running around without owners who get old and don't have the luxury of 911, paramedics and Suzanne Somers trying to save them from aging.
Would you say the same thing to someone who'd just had to put their dogs or cats to sleep?
There are plenty of cats and dogs running around without owners who get old and don't get veterinary care either. So what? I will continue to provide my pets with care - as every responsible pet owner should, regardless of species - and you can shove your opinions up your condescending ass.

An older friend of mine has had ratties for years to keep her company living on her own. Very smart animals, and full of affection and personality. She has always put their needs before her own, the same as her dogs.

You just cant help yourself with your attention seeking trolling but those comments are disgusting. She just lost 2 pets that she regarded as members of her family. what is wrong with you!

Yeah really shows how much you care, dude. Such heartless comments while pet owner is grieving. Despicable comments.

Over the last few days, both of my boys took a bad turn for the worse. I had to have Ralphie euthanized on Tuesday night and Felix was euthanized this morning. The average lifespan for a rat is only about two years and both were older than that, so it wasn't totally unexpected. They'd also both been struggling with chronic respiratory issues and both had multiple tumors which could not be safely operated on due to their respiratory problems. They'd been on medications but in the end it failed to help and I had to say goodbye.

I think I'm gonna wait awhile before getting more. My heart hurts too much, though I know seeing that empty cage every day is gonna be tough too.

Aww no MV I'm so sorry, I know how much they meant to you.
I used to love my sons pet rats, they're excellent pets specially for kids. I remember the last one, Malik, also had respiratory problems. I had to sit with him when the boys were at school when Malik was really sick, and he died before they got back, poor little thing. He was a real character, he could jump onto your shoulder from quite a big distance, that was his party trick

I remember the last one, Malik, also had respiratory problems.
Is respiratory disease common with ratties? One day I'd like to own some because I've been told they're smarter than dogs, but can't risk it while I have terriers. Would be fine with demented pug.

Not totally unexpected, and it sounds like you made the right calls by both of them, but I know that doesn't make it any easier. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Is respiratory disease common with ratties? One day I'd like to own some because I've been told they're smarter than dogs, but can't risk it while I have terriers. Would be fine with demented pug.
Yes, we see a fair amount of respiratory disease, and a lot of tumors.

My friend told me about tumours but I wasnt aware of that. Thanks. Not sure I could deal, really. A short lifespan does not negate attachment. Probably makes it worse. Thinking of MissV at this time. I'm dreading this with my blind girl who I think is drawing near to rainbow bridge time. The thought of it just screws me over big time.

My friend told me about tumours but I wasnt aware of that. Thanks. Not sure I could deal, really. A short lifespan does not negate attachment. Probably makes it worse. Thinking of MissV at this time. I'm dreading this with my blind girl who I think is drawing near to rainbow bridge time. The thought of it just screws me over big time.
Chronic respiratory problems are heartbreakingly common among American pet rats, but that might not be the case in Australia. I'm not sure. I'd ask your friend or other rat owners in your area.

Chronic respiratory problems are heartbreakingly common among American pet rats, but that might not be the case in Australia. I'm not sure. I'd ask your friend or other rat owners in your area.
Good point. Thanks.

I seem to remember a couple of ours having problems, but @Miss Vicky would be able to answer that professionally