Should posts on ignore be completely hidden?

Tools    

Fair enough. I admit it's not ideal, but I think the feature makes more sense when it's hidden completely, and in service of that, I'm inclined to live with the occasional odd situation like the one you've described, particularly since even the other way there'd be a lot of extra clicking.

Still, a good point that I hadn't thought of.
Hate to belabor the point, but having been here for a while now & seeing exactly how many games there are, I do think it would be a disaster if the ignored members' posts are completely hidden. It would wreck so many of the games because the majority of the games follow on from one post to another. E.g., count to 1,000,000.

There are indeed lots of games, but the thing we're concerned with here is how often those games contain people who are ignoring one another, which I think is still pretty rare. Certainly rarer than situations where someone wants to ignore another person, sees they've posted anyway, and is annoyed by it (which I'd gotten a handful of complaints about over the last few months before implementing this change). Has it actually happened, or is it just a possibility?

I suppose one possible compromise would be to only have the ignore list completely hide posts in every forum but Games & Tabs. What does everyone think about that? Is any change necessary, and if so, would that one be a good one?

There are indeed lots of games, but the thing we're concerned with here is how often those games contain people who are ignoring one another, which I think is still pretty rare. Certainly rarer than situations where someone wants to ignore another person, sees they've posted anyway, and is annoyed by it (which I'd gotten a handful of complaints about over the last few months before implementing this change). Has it actually happened, or is it just a possibility?

I suppose one possible compromise would be to only have the ignore list completely hide posts in every forum but Games & Tabs. What does everyone think about that? Is any change necessary, and if so, would that one be a good one?
What they had at IMDb.com, which I think is the best way, was in the thread you saw something like "you are ignoring this poster" or words to that effect. One then had the option of clicking on that post IN A GAME because one had to see what the ignored person had posted in order to not wreck the game. If it wasn't a game, one had the option of not clicking on the post, thereby continuing to ignore that poster.

Maybe it is, as you say, a rarity for posters here to ignore each other, at least in a game, but, believe me, it wasn't rare at IMDb.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
What they had at IMDb.com, which I think is the best way, was in the thread you saw something like "you are ignoring this poster" or words to that effect. One then had the option of clicking on that post IN A GAME because one had to see what the ignored person had posted in order to not wreck the game. If it wasn't a game, one had the option of not clicking on the post, thereby continuing to ignore that poster.

Maybe it is, as you say, a rarity for posters here to ignore each other, at least in a game, but, believe me, it wasn't rare at IMDb.
That's the system Yoda had here but some posters started asking for it to be completely invisible. I dont play the games but if he can change it to that without too much effort it seems like a plan for the gamers.

That's the system Yoda had here but some posters started asking for it to be completely invisible. I dont play the games but if he can change it to that without too much effort it seems like a plan for the gamers.
How odd that posters wanted it changed.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
How odd that posters wanted it changed.
No I dont think it's odd. I found the system on imdb very irritating, especially when I would ignore a blow fly and still see they were following me around boards. I can understand why some people here just dont want to see it. Each to their own, though.

EDIT: ah, I see some of this was already said. Sorry for the redundancy.

That's exactly what we had a few months ago and, amusingly, it was the new people from IMDB who wanted the change, because a) they didn't want to even be reminded of the person and/or b) it tempted them to look at the posts anyway. My memory is that pretty much everyone either wanted the change, or had no objection, though it's probably fair to say the potential effect on games didn't occur to most of us.

Anyway, we made this change over two months ago, so I'm guessing this hasn't actually happened yet. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be proactive, but that's worth considering when measuring the downsides of each.

Thoughts on excluding just the one forum? Open invitation for anyone to comment on that potential solution.

EDIT: ah, I see some of this was already said. Sorry for the redundancy.

That's exactly what we had a few months ago and, amusingly, it was the new people from IMDB who wanted the change, because a) they didn't want to even be reminded of the person and/or b) it tempted them to look at the posts anyway. My memory is that pretty much everyone either wanted the change, or had no objection, though it's probably fair to say the potential effect on games didn't occur to most of us.

Anyway, we made this change over two months ago, so I'm guessing this hasn't actually happened yet. Doesn't mean we shouldn't be proactive, but that's worth considering when measuring the downsides of each.

Thoughts on excluding just the one forum? Open invitation for anyone to comment on that potential solution.
LOL. That's funny, but I can see how people would never want to see someone they hate. There were a lot of emotions at IMDb. I think excluding the games forum is your best bet then.

I had someone on ignore within days of joining, it messed up the flow of one of the games, took the person off ignore and now just don't play the same game as this person and don't read any posts. Simple

That was discussed earlier in the thread. It's much more difficult, technically. I took a stab at it but had no luck. I wont rule it out, but I think it's probably a really disproportionate amount of work relative to the benefit.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I only have one person on ignore. Mr Mino that rampallian!!!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Is there any way to make it so that threads that were last responded to by people on ignore don't show up when I search for new posts?