Should posts on ignore be completely hidden?

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I agree to a point with Cobpyth that ignoring people with whom you disagree just means you're putting yourself in a bubble where you don't have to deal with people with different opinions and that in general that's a dangerous road to go down. However debates on here, even when they stay within the forum rules, can get heated and personal. Bearing in mind that this is a movie forum that people come on for fun to talk about movies, I can see why they might want to ignore people they feel are behaving badly or being personally irritating or offensive. Sure, they could argue with them, but we all know there are plenty of people on the internet who enjoy winding others up and that arguing with them can be fairly fruitless, so I wouldn't judge anyone for ignoring someone on that basis. Sometimes if you feel yourself getting wound up, it can help to put someone on ignore temporarily so that you're not tempted to respond by calling them a ****wit and end up getting banned yourself! That's actually an advantage of the ignore feature, that it is private and reversible.

There are rules on the forum and it is in general a fairly reasonable and respectful discussion forum compared to others out there, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who can be irritating and rude, or content that could be disturbing.

Personally I think its silly when people make a big deal out of putting others on ignore, "oh I can't be bothered with you any more, I'm putting you on ignore now, look, I'm definitely ignoring you!" It strikes me as childish. If you want to ignore someone, you ignore them, you don't make a big deal of the "I'm not talking to you now".

But ultimately I really think its up to people to decide for themselves when and why to use the ignore feature.

The question is: "what do people want to ignore?"

Do they want to ignore genuine continuing abuse, irritating spam or disturbing content? Well, then I'm all for that! None of those things are allowed on this forum, however, so it isn't used for that.

Do people want to ignore everyone who disagrees with them or who they somehow can't stand for their style or way of thinking?
Well, then I think you're showing a lack of courage. You should be able to deal with that kind of stuff on your own, without all of those people being artificially removed from your perception of reality.
Coping with other people that you don't intuitively get along with is an important part of growing as a person. I truly believe it makes you a better person if you allow yourself to be confronted with them and learn how to handle them yourself.
Very well said.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Sometimes if you feel yourself getting wound up, it can help to put someone on ignore temporarily so that you're not tempted to respond by calling them a ****wit and end up getting banned yourself! That's actually an advantage of the ignore feature, that it is private and reversible.
this is basically how i use it. no one ever stays on my ignore list for more than a day, usually. i find this way of using it very useful.

Just my 2 cents.

I think I inadvertently popularized the Ignore User function. I have 4 people on it I know will say anything, and not hear anything, to where true communication isnt possible. Does this stunt my growth as a person? Ha, I wish having a message board account held so much weight, but in reality it doesnt. I just like conversing and even arguing with members of this site, not people that will say anything to be looked at/center of attention, or multiple accounts. As for my personal development, I learned from real life experience, from real growth, my times too valuable to be wasted on them.

Loving the tweaks done to the feature

Just my 2 cents.

I think I inadvertently popularized the Ignore User function. I have 4 people on it I know will say anything, and not hear anything, to where true communication isnt possible. Does this stunt my growth as a person? Ha, I wish having a message board account held so much weight, but in reality it doesnt. I just like conversing and even arguing with members of this site, not people that will say anything to be looked at/center of attention, or multiple accounts. As for my personal development, I learned from real life experience, from real growth, my times too valuable to be wasted on them.

Loving the tweaks done to the feature
....AND ANOTHER THING! Regarding the "Last Edited By" blurb people get at the bottom of their post - this isnt sign of weakness, lack of confidence, but a mark of wisdom. Ill explain.

Retrospect is a powerful thing, and unavailable to us in real life. Wouldnt our lives be richer and wiser if we could edit our points of action? Of course, and it wouldnt be a sign of failing wisdom, but a stronger one. As that point in lifes test has been met successfully.

So basically, each of my posts were worth a penny, thereby fulfilling my 2 cents worth.

this is basically how i use it. no one ever stays on my ignore list for more than a day, usually. i find this way of using it very useful.
It's weird because all this time I thought my computer had a built in "ignore" app - it's called the scroll bar. I want to ignore a post - I "scroll" right past it.

You people and your petty need for censorship are so immature!

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
It's weird because all this time I thought my computer had a built in "ignore" app - it's called the scroll bar. I want to ignore a post - I "scroll" right past it.

You people and your petty need for censorship are so immature!
i've done it like that a couple times, and it's usually when i'm arguing with someone who's being an a-hole. in both cases, i did it moreso because it forced me to stop replying/continuing the argument.

but i don't like keeping people on ignore, so i always remove them once the argument passes

people do it for different reasons, really

i've done it like that a couple times, and it's usually when i'm arguing with someone who's being an a-hole. in both cases, i did it moreso because it forced me to stop replying/continuing the argument.

but i don't like keeping people on ignore, so i always remove them once the argument passes

people do it for different reasons, really
I like being argued with - it's the only attention I get!

The only problem with hiding the ignore posts completely is when there is a game thread involved, especially an alphabetical thread. If you can't see that someone you're ignoring has posted, you skip over that letter & spoil the game.

That's certainly a fair point. Though I'm guessing anyone who'd want to put someone on ignore wouldn't want to play games with them, anyway.
I would if the game was good.

Fair enough. I admit it's not ideal, but I think the feature makes more sense when it's hidden completely, and in service of that, I'm inclined to live with the occasional odd situation like the one you've described, particularly since even the other way there'd be a lot of extra clicking.

Still, a good point that I hadn't thought of.

Ive taken Nostromo87 & Sexy Celebrity off Ignore User.

Only 3 left on my IU list, TUS. Rauld,& Omniz, and hopefully one day theyll be permanently off it too.

Its kind of anti-climactic as I dont post now other than Fantasy Baseball league. This years prize is a trophy and...

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	two-hundred-dollars-5922cb.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	30708