Fargo - TV Series

Tools    

I'm still amazed that Mary Elizabeth Winstead isn't competing with actresses like Scarlett Johansson or the like. She's always so good.
Agree with that. Love Mary Elizabeth. She was awesome on the show, especially when
WARNING: spoilers below
she did what she did with the air conditioner.
I would have laughed harder at that but I was still reeling from
Mary Elizabeth's bare bum from the previous scene, if that was hers and not a stunt-butt. Someone on Twitter suggested that it was a double, and Mary herself answered and said something like, "Please. I didn't do months of squats for nothing." So, she's suggesting that it was indeed her in all her backless glory. She could be playing with men's expectations though. She's a bit of a feminist and was very irked when that big celebrity private photo leak happened last year and some of her private, semi-nude photos were leaked to the internet. So I wouldn't put it past her to tease men as to whether or not it was her.
. Anyway, back to the show.

I didn't watch the first two seasons, but I was attracted because of the cast. I thought Ewen McGregor did a fairly good job with the accent, with only a few slips...not enough to spoil things. I'm wondering about the opening in
Russia, and how the stamp on the official's wall maybe ended with McGregor. And if the guy being questioned is now in the U.S.?

What show was Scoot McNairy on? He was pretty awesome on this first episode. And how did
Carrie Coon's father get killed by McNairy? His face looked funny like it had ashes or freezer burns on it.
Anyway, I'm sticking with the show. Great start, IMO.

This might just do nobody any good.
Scoot's been great in Halt and Catch Fire (along with the rest of that show). He actually played a similar character to Maurice in Killing Them Softly, a movie I consider underrated. Actually, both characters take from Buscemi in the original Fargo.

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the prologue. My first thought was that it was some example of conditioning. We, the audience, see a German officer accusing a man of a crime and, as the entire history of pop culture has conditioned us to, we mistrust the officer.

But what if the man did do it. We don't know anything about the situation and the "telling truth" line made me wonder if the show would be taking a stance against archetypes.

Seeing as this was a very familiar episode (to the world of the series) that could certainly be the case.

Or it's a red herring and I should go back to focusing on Mary's bum.

Side note: I've never heard a Minnesota accent in my life but I think the exaggerations in the film and show are intentional. These characters become charicatures of midwestern niceties and that's contrasted with the horrible acts they commit later.

It's meant to disarm us.

Really enjoyed this episode. I wouldn't blame people who are maybe starting to feel this show is over produced or a little too clever for it's own good. I enjoy the hell out of the style though. The camerawork and music is always engaging. I love the characters that come naturally out if this world the Coen's have created. Can they start to feel repetitive? Sure, I will keep watching till I'm tired of them though. So far, I am nowhere close to bored of them. Yeah, McGregor is going to knock it out of the park this season,

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
I can't read the thread due to only seeing the first half-hour. I do know, I don't really care for Ewan Mc...... Not very captivating in a show that make even the smallest things fascinating.

Now Mary what's her name. Yikes! Sign me up.

So underwhelming. No quirky, eccentric, but believable characters. No hook, no weird. *sigh* The a/c unit thing was good, but almost felt gimmicky. Sorta like, here's what you expect flash in the pan.

Chore watch, but hopefully it improves. The book names are fictitious, so there isn't even anything to go on with that. Who wants to bet those models are a big deal?

@ dadgumblah If you get around to watching the first two seasons, you are in for a treat. I think S2 is better, but it's kinda like a ribeye to porterhouse comparison.

Yeah, it's the most basic Fargo episode in Fargo thus far wich is what makes me think the "stance against archetypes" is happening.

It's been pointed out that Emmit and Nicky's goal (recognition in the bridge community) is the simplest any criminal character has had in the series thus far.

Wouldn't it be interesting if the show focused on them, endearing us to their little world as the outside forces like a thoroughly motivated Carrie Coon began to move on them.

What if Emmit and Nicky are the "good" guys?

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out the prologue. My first thought was that it was some example of conditioning. We, the audience, see a German officer accusing a man of a crime and, as the entire history of pop culture has conditioned us to, we mistrust the officer.

But what if the man did do it. We don't know anything about the situation and the "telling truth" line made me wonder if the show would be taking a stance against archetypes.

Seeing as this was a very familiar episode (to the world of the series) that could certainly be the case.

Or it's a red herring and I should go back to focusing on Mary's bum.
I think your guess is solid, yeah. My guess would be that it's telling us the season is largely going to turn on mistaken identity. Two things to support this:

1) It's already happened once: the guy goes to the wrong Stussy's house.

2) Identical twins! Odds are good one will end up either impersonating the other, or suffer a fate meant for the other.

Side note: I've never heard a Minnesota accent in my life but I think the exaggerations in the film and show are intentional. These characters become charicatures of midwestern niceties and that's contrasted with the horrible acts they commit later.

It's meant to disarm us.
Totally agree, good insight. The contrast between the two is (apart from just being better made, of course) what makes this universe feel different than any other random cable drama.

This show continues to be the provider of great lines that one couldn't possibly use in real life.

"Must find some kind of psychic Drain-O"

"Vermin ate through my chord." - actually laughed out loud at that one for some reason.

"We're thinking cause of death is a cliffhanger?"

Agree with that. Love Mary Elizabeth. She was awesome on the show, especially when
she did what she did with the air conditioner.
I would have laughed harder at that but I was still reeling from
Mary Elizabeth's bare bum from the previous scene, if that was hers and not a stunt-butt. Someone on Twitter suggested that it was a double, and Mary herself answered and said something like, "Please. I didn't do months of squats for nothing." So, she's suggesting that it was indeed her in all her backless glory. She could be playing with men's expectations though. She's a bit of a feminist and was very irked when that big celebrity private photo leak happened last year and some of her private, semi-nude photos were leaked to the internet. So I wouldn't put it past her to tease men as to whether or not it was her.
. Anyway, back to the show.

I didn't watch the first two seasons, but I was attracted because of the cast. I thought Ewen McGregor did a fairly good job with the accent, with only a few slips...not enough to spoil things. I'm wondering about the opening in
Russia, and how the stamp on the official's wall maybe ended with McGregor. And if the guy being questioned is now in the U.S.?

What show was Scoot McNairy on? He was pretty awesome on this first episode. And how did
Carrie Coon's father get killed by McNairy? His face looked funny like it had ashes or freezer burns on it.
Anyway, I'm sticking with the show. Great start, IMO.
Wasn't it in East Germany not Russia? I reckon that may turn out to be an important part of the story.

I love this show but I have reservations over this season. Mcgregor is annoying me already. Could they not have found a us actor instead? I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as Martin freeman grew on me.

And yes. Good lord Mary Elizabeth is a beautiful woman. I don't care if I objectify her. A woman that beautiful needs to be objectified. That's surely why God invented women. Or the 2nd reason why God invented women at least. She's damn talented too.

@Saunch

Psychic Drain-o and slave girls, were the two lines that really tickled that Fargo bone. That hair and stache, you know he can write a dissertation on slave girls.

This episode was better for me, a lot of that due to an ample helping of Vargas...excuse, V.M. teeth. Those things are horrendous and spellbinding at the same time.

On a side note, the phone McGregor uses in the house was not around in 2010. There is one in my house and they just came out a year or two ago. *nit*

Another great episode. This might be the best show on TV

Varga is slowly becoming one of my favourite characters

Also, did anyone catch Emitt mentioning Stan Grossman from the original film? Was it just a reference or could it lead to something significant later?

Probably just a reference.

The parking lot where...

Carl shoots Wade in the original film

... shows up in the first season along with, y'know, the money.

Just started season 2 of Fargo, and am blown away by the first episode. Really jazzed Ted Danson & Jesse Plemons are cast. This might be better than the first season even.

...and it was! Jesse Plemons and Kirsten Dunst really did incredible work, award worthy. I wonder if Plemons gained weight for this part, or just got fat?

Watched the season 3 premiere, Ewan McGregors Ray Stussy looks alot like Tom Cruises' Ron Kovic from Born on the 4th of July.

The music really is weird. The scene where the police chief daughter is searching the house...

Does anyone else think Michael Stuhlbarg looks alot like Joaquin Phoenix?

Great setup episode. If they keep making this series a standalone storyline, then this show could last awhile. Noah Hawley is a genius, and the real star of this series.

Does anyone else think Michael Stuhlbarg looks alot like Joaquin Phoenix?

He looks like a durtyperv with a fetish closet I dare not speak of for fear of banishment from this forum.

"The events of this story took place in Los Angeles in 2010."

What a nice little gem of an episode. So many details and plenty I'm sure to have missed.

- During the love scene, the cheez doodles strewn across the nightstand caught my eye. So random, yet it really helped build the scene for me.

- The Jo Koy reference (that's how I'm gonna take it) Phillipino nurse.

- Telling someone they are a bad person seconds after you commit a heinous act.

-the switch on a box and how it seemed to correlate to our little buddy from the vignette. That switch wuz great.

Really enjoyed the characters and santas this week.

Can't finish a write-up at the moment but I will say that this episode featured two of my favorite line from the whole show -

Fred Melamed's "Colossal." and the final "Lets ponder off future woes."