RIP Mort Sahl

Tools    

Very sorry to hear that. Hope that we would all make it to 94! He was a great comic, probably the last of his generation. He really became big in the '50s. ICBW but seems to me that there was some grumbling that he wouldn't go to bat for Lenny Bruce.

Here's an alternate news release that one doesn't have to sign in:
https://chicago.suntimes.com/2021/10...edian-obituary

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
What can be said? A comedy legend, another legend who never got the recognition he deserved...RIP.

99% of comedians (who owe him gratitude) didn't dare thanking him in fear their fans would look up Mort Sahl and lose fans. Once you find the best, it's hard to go lower and enjoy it.

Mort Sahl co-hosted the 1959 Oscars but was left off (or so I've been told) from the memorial. WTF?
You, dear human, should remember that humans forget very very quickly. The brain cells of of a Zeitgeist are made up of the actual brains of humans living that milieu. Every time someone dies, the culture loses a little bit of memory. Someone new is born and starts forming memories, a new neural connection, a new store of new memories. The brain doesn't notice when a brain cell is lost. The average age in the U.S. is around 38.5 years. Sahl was before the time of these people. The average person didn't forget him, as they never knew him. It is only the hive mind that forgets, and that is because its memory is always dying.

You are basically a single cell trying to scream through the clutter, but the hive-herd has moved on. The hive mind is not the wisdom all human history, but the collective mediocrity of an age (what else is an average, after all, than the mathematical distillation of the mundane?). The Zeitgeist is a thirty-something creature which believes it "knows it all." And so long as the human race continues, it continues, evergreen and ever-dumb. The only immortal sentient creature on earth is a schlub.

If you want to be remembered, common formulas are
be infamous (Hitler),

die young (Monroe),

become an ironic joke caricature of yourself (Shatner), or

plaster your name everywhere in the vain attempt to be remembered as important (Trump).
In the end, however, we will all be forgotten ("Behold my works ye mighty and despair"). It's not how long you live, but the lives you touch along the way. This person touched yours, so that is a sign of a life well-lived.

can't believe he's died again. rip

There are three deaths.

The first is when the body ceases to function.

The second is when the body is consigned to the grave.

The third is that moment, sometime in the future,

when your thread is bumped for the last time.

Sahl lives!!!!