The Buffy Thread

Tools    

I was in shock over Joyce's death and that episode was so well constructed. The use of no score shows that it was ahead of its time, and people are catching on now with films like No Country.

One of my all time favourite shows, I think it was the first one in which I had to be home on those nights to watch it. I was so in love with Buffy.

The weakest season was definitely with Warren, Jonathan and Andrew as the bad guys.
Everything about that episode was just eerie and really well done. When Buffy cracked her moms ribs trying to do CPR I just cringed hoping she would wake up. The short 10 second day dream about her coming back to life was great also then it just instantly brings you back to reality was another awesome touch.

I love how she died of natural causes it just goes to show you that no matter how many powers you have or how much ass you can kick bad stuff will still happen that you can't prevent.

on another note I really liked the trio just some nerdy guys who got carried away. I liked how at first they just wanted money and woman and once they realized what they were trying to do was in fact rape and kill the girl they know they are too far deep to get out. And they may be pretty pitiful villains but I always considered willow the villain of the season even though she doesn't start causing evil until episode 19 or so.

You could say Willow starts being evil the second she brings Buffy back , like Giles' righteous fury indicates.

The trio were also the funniest badguys, love their reappearance in 7 and it gives Johnathan a fitting climax to his overall arc.

The whole "flaying" off of the skin was pretty sweet too, seriously, who didn't think that was funny? I don't remember the episodes name but it wasn't long after that that Xander had his big moment with Willow in front of that Statue thing. I though the entire scene was very touching and well done.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The whole crayon speech was touching and yes I was happy that Xander, the only normal guy, was finally given his chance to shine.

I found that season to be weak because, as it was stated, it wasn't the strongest written. Sure it was funny, one of the funniest seasons, but it just didn't gel with me too much.

Suspect's Reviews

I am burdened with glorious purpose
*squirms in seat and raises hand* Oh, oh, another Buffy fan here!

This is the only TV show I own and it took me a year to gather all seven seasons. I've seen them all at least twice and some many many times (Once More with Feeling.)

Season 4 gets a bad rap from most fans, me included. But when I really think about it, it's actually a brilliant season. For one thing, Riley is Buffy's perfect match. The fans didn't embrace him and Whedon has even commented that he was surprised. But it's obvious that since Buffy is a brilliant show full of metaphors about growing up, Season 4 showed that Buffy hadn't. She still sought out dangerous passion over the easy, comfortable relationship. She and Riley were perfectly suited for a long-term relationship and even marriage but Buffy wasn't ready yet. And the show ended with Buffy not having that relationship -- how many of us have looked back over our lives and wondered about that one relationship we let go of?

And Whedon tackled the idea of a government out of control before our government really did get out of control. The season foreshadowed what we are doing today with terrorism, imo. And now Whedon is tackling that again with his season "8" comic book.

And I think Hush can be argued is one of the most brilliant hours of television. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything so well written and insightful. That ending where they can speak now but they can't. Wow. And the funniest moment ever for me was the scene in the lecture hall with the overheads. I chuckle just thinking about it.

I have a Buffy (season 3) poster in my classroom and my students laugh when I tell them that Buffy is the best TV series ever. I keep hoping they'll discover how great it is when they get older (they're 8th graders).

Another favorite episode is Zeppo. I think it's a tad underrated -- I just love how Zander comes into his own in that episode, even if his insecurities continue to surface through the years. This episode is a great example of how Buffy laughed at itself so well. Buffy was able to create insightful and heart-wrenching episodes yet there was always the wink to the audience that the show knew exactly what it was.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Season 4 gets a bad rap from most fans, me included. But when I really think about it, it's actually a brilliant season. For one thing, Riley is Buffy's perfect match. The fans didn't embrace him and Whedon has even commented that he was surprised. But it's obvious that since Buffy is a brilliant show full of metaphors about growing up, Season 4 showed that Buffy hadn't. She still sought out dangerous passion over the easy, comfortable relationship. She and Riley were perfectly suited for a long-term relationship and even marriage but Buffy wasn't ready yet. And the show ended with Buffy not having that relationship -- how many of us have looked back over our lives and wondered about that one relationship we let go of?
Riley was ok in season 4, it was in Season 5 that I started to dislike him. He became whiny and irritating, and I was glad to see him go. Plus he never was the intriguing character that Angel was, really. He was kind of bland, and hardly seemed a suitable replacement. Season 4 had the worst big bad out of all the seasons, Adam, which is why it's not as well regarded as any of the others. There are several season 4 eps I like a lot, and it did introduce Tara, who I loved, but on the whole it's just...there.

Interesting, my least favorite character of all was Tara. There were moments with her that I liked, but overall, the Tara/Willow storyline is my least favorite. I actually like the three stupid guy villians (I LOVE Andrew!) more than Tara/Willow together. (I hope it isn't because they're lesbians...I just didn't like it all.) And while I can respect the Willow/addiction theme that climaxed in season 6, I found it rather overwrought and tiresome.

I agree, Riley did get whiny in Season 5 and I wonder if that was their way to get rid of him. But I do think its rather intriguing to think about the fact that Buffy and Riley were the best match of all her relationships. But let's face it -- Angel and even Spike were much more interesting. But then again, passion always is.

Adam was poor. But I read somewhere that the actress (forgot her name) that played the leader of Riley's group had a disagreement and they needed to kill her off quickly. I think Adam was an afterthought and not the way the season was supposed to go. That's probably why the season fell apart. But I do think the overall theme of the season -- Buffy's loss of identity and the insecurities that befall us when we leave high school and are suddenly thrown into an adult world were communicated rather well in certain episodes. But it's like the overall season didn't jell right.

I love HUSH and rank it in my top favourite episodes ever. The comical episodes are always fun to watch as well, like when they all had memory loss and Spike thinks his name is Randy and that Giles is his father only because they both have an accent. Too good!!!

I love HUSH and rank it in my top favourite episodes ever. The comical episodes are always fun to watch as well, like when they all had memory loss and Spike thinks his name is Randy and that Giles is his father only because they both have an accent. Too good!!!
Tabula Rasa (or something like that.) My son and I have watched that episode about 10 times.

Oh man I love that ep TUS!

Ok, A show of Internet Hands, How many of you cried when Buffy was crowned "Class Protector"? That to me is probably my favorite Buffy moment. And for the record I did indeed cry a little bit.

I sniffled when that happened, but I cried when Buffy died in The Gift and in S7 when Spike tells Buffy he has a soul AND when he gives his hero speech to Buffy at the vineyard and they spend the night together.

Class protector was touching but I didnt cry.

I do admit that i shed a small tear not really when buffy died in season 5 but right after watching everyones reaction to it cause dme to squirt a tear mostly out of seeing spike balling like a child. Not something you see Spike doing and it showed how much he really cared for buffy that he would just break down like that.

Class protector scene was indeed emotional....given to her by Future Enemy!!!!!

This show was so far ahead of it's time, how sad was it when Angel turned good at the last minute....but Buffy had to kill him to close the portal!!!!

Seems this thread has risen from the dead, glad to see people are still talking about this show!!!

another episode I loved was when Faith tries to turn Angel evil again I forget the name of the episode but it was in season 3.

they completely fooled me I really thought Angelus was back and it ended up the demon doing the fake spell got introduced to his wife by Giles.

As cool of a character Angel is I preferred him in season 2 because he was such a badass as the villain. David Boreanaz is great its a complete change he goes through between the first couple of episodes of season 2 and after the change in Innocence

Here's a little blurb from Joss on Friday from Sci-fi wire:

Buffy May Live On In Some Form

Buffy the Vampire Slayer creator Joss Whedon told fans that a spinoff project is still a possibility when asked about the raft of rumored spinoffs that never came to fruition after the show left the air nearly five years ago.

Asked about future Buffy TV or film projects, Whedon said, "My answer would be, like, there are so many stars that would have to align [for them to happen]. But, you know, there's a reason I worked with all of these people for so long. They're enormously talented. And clearly, from the comic, it's a story that I can't let go of. I think it would be really cool."

Whedon spoke as part of a panel at the William S. Paley Television Festival March 20 in Hollywood that reunited him with his Buffy cast members Sarah Michelle Gellar, Nicholas Brendon, James Marsters, Emma Caulfield, Michelle Trachtenberg, Charisma Carpenter, Seth Green and Amber Benson and fellow producers Marti Noxon and David Greenwalt.

Once the cult hit Buffy went off the air, reports circulated that Whedon was variously developing a spinoff series that would feature the vampire Spike (Marsters) or a British show that would feature the character of Rupert Giles (Anthony Stewart Head). None came to pass.

Since then, Whedon and several of his writers and artists have picked up the story of Buffy Summers and her "Scooby Gang" in a series of comics for Dark Horse, characterized as "season eight" of the TV show. Whedon let loose a spoiler that Green's character, the werewolf Oz, would appear in a future issue of the comic.

TV Guide critic Matt Roush, who moderated the Paley reunion panel discussion, asked whether the comic--which has morphed and developed the Buffy mythology well beyond the show's season finale--would ultimately affect any Buffy spinoff TV shows or films.

"Hypothetically, if you could make things align, that would be fun," Whedon said, adding: "And it would be lovely to make it all tie in. But if I had to shoot down everything I'm doing in the comics because we were doing a project [and] I was filming with these actual people, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep."

Before the panel discussion, fans screened the musical episode "Once More With Feeling." Whedon later said that he had just wrapped production on another musical project. "I literally drove here from wrapping the shooting on a little independent short of my own called Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog, my next musical, starring Neil Patrick Harris, Nathan Fillion and Felicia Day. And it's going to come out somewhere, at some point, possibly on a computer. We haven't figure that out yet. And it's awesome." Noxon admitted that she also has a small part.

Could Buffy wind up in musical form on Broadway? "I would love to take a Buffy to Broadway," Whedon said. "It would not be this ['Once More With Feeling']. This is an episode of television. ... You would have to start from scratch. I've spent some time daydreaming about it, because I'm me."

Would any of his Buffy cast be on board? Most raised their hands--with the notable exception of Gellar, who smiled, shook her head and said, "I'm out." --Patrick Lee, News Editor
Damn that Joss, every couple of months he comes out and says something like this and then the entire Buffyverse gets all twitterpated and nothing ever happens. Oh well, just thought I'd pass my angst onto you.

Yeah it's funny to me that Gellar still seems to think that she can't sing. And while I didn't think she was terrific, she wasn't terrible. I've seen a few different times Gellar saying she thought she was awful but I didn't think so. Or, maybe she just only wants to be in films. Who knows with actor's and actresses these days.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
oooooh, SCORE. This thread reminded me to go check amazon for the hundredth time for the buffy series, and they had it on sale. With a gift cert, I just got all seven seasons in the box set for $75. woo hooo!