Movies You Avoided Seeing (for various reasons)

Tools    

I really don't like those slasher flix like Jason or Freddie Kruger and I also avoid those I Know What You Did Last Summer movies .

I purposely avoided seeing "Thirteen Ghosts", because in the ad on tv, there is this one particular ghost that was very freaky looking to me and I don't want to see a whole movie with this thing in it, even though I like scary movies in general.

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by rubyblood
After seeing the Chronicles of Narr, I've decided that I'm going to avoid movies based on old fantasy books. Why? Just ask a friends of mine.

"There is not just a lack of people of color in LOTR and the Chronicles of Narnia, those books--never seen the movies--are actively racist. LOTR is all about racial purity, and the reunification of some northern european aryan kingdom by a King who--being from Numenor "Atlantis"--is whiter than anyone else in Middle Earth "Europe." This parallels the racist mythology of The early 20th century Thule society. Of which, a young Adolf Hitler was a member.

"And out of Far Harad black men like half-trolls, with white eyes And red tongues..." Far Harad was the Arda (Arda is the name of the planet where Middle Earth existed) equivalent of Africa. No amount of equivocation can convince me that Tolkien didn't mean that.

With the Narnia Chronicles, later in the books the minions of evil are called the "calor men" and they are, of course, depicted as being non-white."

He is such a wise man.
People who look for racism in everything, will find it in everything. Looks like your friend is an expert in this. No, your friend doesn't seem wise, but he is paranoid, seeing racist agendas everywhere he looks. The LotR books were written by an englishman, in the country of England, when rasicm wasn't such a hot button topic. It was written in a different time, as well, so people weren't trying to be PC all the time.

Let me ask you this. Is The Constant Gardener rascist? Most of the people shown in that film were black, and manu of them gave sideways glances to the white folk that appeared in their land. Were these people racist? No, they were not. They were simply not used to seeing white people in their country because they weren't around at the time. White people and black people ARE different, but that doesn't make one or the other bad or good. They are simply people with different skin tone. The white people appeared strange to the native africans, so they looked at them differently.

Now, consider this. Do you think there may be some African literature that deals only with Africans? I would think there is a whole library full of it, but I wouldn't sit around calling it racist because hispanic people aren't represented in it, or English, or American. That would be absurd. Why would African's, writing a story, insist on making sure all the races of the world were represented? I doubt Africans waste time on silly things like being "politically correct".

Sorry, but I find it annoying when people pull the race card, because it's a silly thing to do, and some even feel it's a form of racism all it's own. Do people of color deserve special treatment because they are different than white people? That would be elitist. That would be racist, in and of itself.

The only way to rise above racism is to take away as much energy you can from the issue, and start looking at everyone as different, because they are, no matter what the color of their skin, and then stop looking upon different in any sort of negative light.

I think judging people according to their ACTIONS and their MERIT is the way to make a decision about whether or not someone is a good person or not, and whether of nor you want to continue associating with them. Race has nothing to do with it.

And last, LotR is NOT about the unification of some master race. It's about the unification of many different races, all of whom are very different. The dwarves hated the elves, the elves hated the dwarves, the men hated them all... I question whether your firend has actually even read the books, because the men are looked at as weak and easily swayed to evil by the other races. So, what does that mean? Was that some deft trick by Tolkein to trick us into not noticing his aryan unification agenda? I doubt it, highly. Even f your friend did read the books, he clearly, and obviuosly, didn't understand them at all. Must have been too busy searching out hidden racist meaning in the story. His loss.

I've had "Domino" setting by my tv for the past month. My brother bought it, so it's not costing me anything to watch it. Except for two hours. I like Tony Scott films and I like Micky Rourke but Keira Knightley as a tough bounty hunter is just too ridiculous. She's a stick figure with a bad haircut and machine guns. I won't watch a movie that she's in unless there's pirates in it. I can put up with some pretty horrible movies, but I can't bring myself to watch this.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Ford
I've had "Domino" setting by my tv for the past month. My brother bought it, so it's not costing me anything to watch it. Except for two hours. I like Tony Scott films and I like Micky Rourke but Keira Knightley as a tough bounty hunter is just too ridiculous. She's a stick figure with a bad haircut and machine guns. I won't watch a movie that she's in unless there's pirates in it. I can put up with some pretty horrible movies, but I can't bring myself to watch this.
I can se your point. I love Keira Knightley and because I loved her in Pirates of the Carribean, Bend it Like Beckham, Love Actually and Pride and Prejudice...I really don't want to see her as some kick @ss broad in Domino. I'm not interested in seeing Domino either.

And your right...she has gotten way too skinny. That was one of the things that bothered me about Pride and Prejudice...which I believe she was either training for the role in Domino or filming at the same time.....she was way to skinny and had absolutely no womanly shape....and in those empire waist dresses you notice everything around the shoulders and....the ummm...bust...which she had none...however, if you watch Pirates, she does. As a once beloved member use to say (who is no longer with us)...she needs a burger badly.

Although....there are alot of actresses now who could use a few extra pounds. The ultra skinny look to the point of boneyness carried by a number of actresses now is getting to be a little disconcerting.

[/rant] Sorry if I went over board.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by Ford
I think she's actually the best thing in Domino by whatever a country mile is. Thinking of her as a bounty hunter as ridiculous is the point of her casting.

That said, it's a flippin' woeful excuse for a film and I wish I had your restraint in choosing not to watch it...

Hostel, after seeing that trailler, i decided not a soul could get me to see the film. Disgusting........

napolean dynamite and alot of will farrel movies i dont like that "i have no taste in movies so i see these stupid ones" not saying that if you saw the two movies ive listed that you dont have good taste just the majority of people who see these dont know a good movie if it bit them in the butt

Originally Posted by Thursday Next
I have avoided watching lots of horror films that might scare me, like Texas Chainsaw Massacre and The Thing.

I avoid any films about poor honest people in the olden days (yawn) of the Vera Drake, Angela's Ashes, Cinderella Man ilk. Especially if they have dodgy oirish accents in the trailers.

the Thing was a good movie

I avoided seeing King Kong for many reasons

EDITED: To remove SPAM

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
the re-make of 'the fog' , 'war of the worlds' and 'fast and the furious'

Mi:3 ...

Anything with Rob Shnider (however you spell it)

basically Lame movies without a lot of character developement .. saw an awesome movie recently i suggest you all see .. its oldboy .. its twisted but definatly keeps you on your toes.

Originally Posted by Atlas
Mi:3 ...
Wow, how have you avoided seeing Mission: Impossible III, which hasn't even opened yet, for so long? You most assuredly have a steely resolution, my friend.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I'm a pirate ... and have a pirate licence .. i don;t watch films they come to me .. this movie i plan on not seeing ever .. not even worth the $2 down at the video shop .. might consider it if someone gets the film and pays me to watch it.

Originally Posted by Atlas
I'm a pirate ... and have a pirate licence .. i don;t watch films they come to me .. this movie i plan on not seeing ever .. not even worth the $2 down at the video shop .. might consider it if someone gets the film and pays me to watch it.
Wow, then you've avoided watching your pirated copy for, what, a couple weeks now? Still darned amazing.

BY THE BY, I'm forwarding this thread to the Feds.

pirates are amazing people ...

and Holden Pike .. your a very honorable man .. doing whats right .. however theres soemthing called substantial evedience as well as the fact i have no form of ID here. they would also have to build a case .. and i don;t sell any copys so they can only charge me on personal usage.. so really all your doing is waisting tax payers money and the "fed's" time..

i take this is an american site .. sorry guys its my fault where i live in the world laws for copyrights in the USA don't effect me and the rest of society .. as for pirates .. yes there steal, lie, kill but there people too ..

but honestly .. really thinking about it piracy isn;t that bad .. think of the return the films already making our of merchandise, cinema, DvD's etc .. there pockets are filled to the brim .. and on top of all of that they sue $20'000 each pirated film .. you realise how much that is in total .

listen the point i'm argueing is yes your all in america .. for a film over there to reach my country it takes at least 1 to 5 months after release in the states ... a further year is added to Dvd etc .. so my point i'm stressing is i enjoy films jsut as much as you.. and the industry isn;t dying at all so whats the harm in a few thousand foriegner downloaded a few films .. i guarrentied some of you have done a worse crime than that.