Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
The Evil Dead -

my least favourite of the three, but also I don't think I can rate it lower than 4.5

'Shoplifters' (2018)

Hirokazu Koreeda is a master of cinema.I'm still digesting this movie but I'm pretty sure it's one of the best of 2018. It is an absolute gem. A superb tale of love, kinship and what it means to be family. Morals are queried, and formalities are tested. Lily Franky and those 2 children are impeccable. The dialogue and characters are perfect.

Beautiful, beautiful cinema.

Bohemian Rhapsody (2018)

Picky retelling of the Queen legacy, the actors are all brilliant though and the music (even though I'm not a fan) shines through.

Rami Malek is quite frightening in the accuracy of his mannerisms and I believe deserved his Academy award.

8/10

Re-watch of this excellent movie.
I love the pacing of this film, watched for 2nd time last week. Hardy is exceptional.

Teorema (1968)

First Pasolini since Oedipus Rex and what a fine film too. Not giving any plot away but a philosophical mystery with his usual trademark earthiness.

I love Terence Stamp's question to Silvana Mangano upon hearing about Pasolini's proposed film — "Are you in the movie?"

11th re-watch...MacLaine is terrific, but the real star of this movie is Bob Fosse's singularly inventive choreography...you've never seen anything like it...the body was not built to move like that.

5th re-watch...Tom Hanks' brilliant performance makes this movie worth the admission alone but no one saw it because it was released the same year as Big...that scene where he melts down in front of the audience because his father is there is incredible, as is the scene in the rain after Lila (Sally Field) rejects him...Hanks' Oscar-worthy here.

I love Terence Stamp's question to Silvana Mangano upon hearing about Pasolini's proposed film — "Are you in the movie?"
Read that also: watched so far:

Accattone
Mamma Roma
Salo
Oedipus Rex

feel like I have to drip feed his movies as all things are finite.

Dead of Night (1945)

I watched this because it's on the 40's list and is eligible for the horror countdown. It's a good British anthology that I think is much better than I can give it credit for at this moment. I just had a hard time focusing. The last part was the best, as it should be.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
I loved Pasolini's first two movies, but could never get past 30 minutes in any of his others I've tried.

I've tried to find "Punch Line" online and never had any success.

Captain Marvel (2019)

After all the internet controversy I felt like I needed to watch this movie and I was pleasantly surprised.

She is kinda how Superman was supposed to be. In my opinion it was far better than any other Marvel movies I had watched (way better than the Avenger movies). Yes she has the personality of a plank of wood but that is how she is supposed to be: a stoic "Terminator" kind of character being the strongest hero in the universe. And yes, she is "overpowered" but the feeling of well done overpowered characters can be great if done right, she reminded reminded me about Goku when he became a supersayan for the first time, crushing all the opposition by harnessing their internal strength through focused intense determination do beat up the bad guys. She is the most badass superhero movie character I ever watched.

Only issue is how Avengers Endgame plot will work since she appears to be able to "solve" any villain super easily. I guess they could have solved Thanos in the last 30 second of this movie by just showing her blowing he up. Although it is true that after Infinity War Thanos basically attained his dream of killing half of the population of the universe so now the issue for Avengers Endgame is not to beat Thanos (well Thor kinda did that already in Endgame), the issue is how to reverse the damage he did and she didn't show any powers capable of solving this issue.

Not scary but it was good. The first of the three stories is the only one that had any real tension/ creepiness to it. Taken separately the stories aren't much but they do form a solid base for the ending.

I had heard that the story and characters were pretty silly (being kind) but it exceeded my expectations for how silly it is. Didn't like the story or the characters but it is absolutely stunning to look at. I actually thought of muting the movie and playing some nice, relaxing, classical music instead. Probably would've been better. That man-tank at the end whipping out a Ka-Bar though, that's some serious B-Movie brilliance.