Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Victim of The Night
Since you mentioned Electric Company on another thread-- Did you happen to recognize Julie from EC during the big dance number? She's the teenager that emerges from the house with Irene Cara. An early crush of Lil' Cap's back in the day, so I recognized her immediately.

Irene was also on EC, so maybe the two young kids were too but I didn't recognize them.
I did not, I remember a girl came out with Irene Cara but I did not recognize her from EC.

Victim of The Night
Casually, I saw the 1987 one last year for the same category, which I thought was a decent thriller.
Is that the one with Mary Steenburgen?

Snooze factor = Z

[Snooze Factor Ratings]:
Z = didn't nod off at all
Zz = nearly nodded off but managed to stay alert
Zzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed
Zzzz = nodded off and missed some of the film but went back to watch what I missed but nodded off again at the same point and therefore needed to go back a number of times before I got through it...
Zzzzz = nodded off and missed some or the rest of the film but was not interested enough to go back over it

1917, 2019

I've seen different reactions to this one: some people really moved, others finding that they were kept at a distance.

Corporal Schofield (George MacKay) and Corporal Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) are sent to deliver an urgent message to a squadron of soldiers set to walk into a nasty German trap. Navigating enemy territory, the stakes are particularly high as one of the 1600 men headed into the fray is Blake's older brother. The film is composed of long takes as the men make their frantic run for the line.

I'm in the camp that really liked this one. To begin with, on a technical level it is stunning. The long takes, yes, but also the lighting and the camera movement just kept wowing me. I especially loved a sequence in which a nighttime scene is eerily illuminated.

This is a decidedly unromantic look at war, and in particular it really drives home the waste and devastation of such a conflict. Animals are slaughtered in their fields to keep the other side from having a chance to butcher and eat them. Citizens trapped in the crossfire huddle in fear. The soldiers encountered along the way offer a mix of kindness and cynicism.

I thought that the pacing of the film was strong. Action sequences are interspersed with quieter moments (such as when Schofield spends a short time in a cellar with a French woman and the baby she is caring for--a brief moment of tenderness undercut by the relentless urgency of the mission), and when one character notes "Best not to dwell on it", you can feel the main characters' need for momentum. In moments of quiet, a horrible mix of hope and despair begins to descend.

I wasn't expecting to be as emotionally involved (and kind of got emotionally involved despite myself). I definitely shed a few tears, and I will offer up a few Hail Ozus to the film gods because I definitely stopped with 30 minutes left in the movie to watch that Fresh Prince clip where Aunt Viv does great in dance class. I think this would have been pretty splendid (and overwhelming) on the big screen.

I liked the performances (especially MacKay, who I know from Pride) and maybe my only qualm was that I had a few distracted moments of "Oh, hey! It's _______!".

1917, 2019

I've seen different reactions to this one: some people really moved, others finding that they were kept at a distance.

Corporal Schofield (George MacKay) and Corporal Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) are sent to deliver an urgent message to a squadron of soldiers set to walk into a nasty German trap. Navigating enemy territory, the stakes are particularly high as one of the 1600 men headed into the fray is Blake's older brother. The film is composed of long takes as the men make their frantic run for the line.

I'm in the camp that really liked this one. To begin with, on a technical level it is stunning. The long takes, yes, but also the lighting and the camera movement just kept wowing me. I especially loved a sequence in which a nighttime scene is eerily illuminated.

This is a decidedly unromantic look at war, and in particular it really drives home the waste and devastation of such a conflict. Animals are slaughtered in their fields to keep the other side from having a chance to butcher and eat them. Citizens trapped in the crossfire huddle in fear. The soldiers encountered along the way offer a mix of kindness and cynicism.

I thought that the pacing of the film was strong. Action sequences are interspersed with quieter moments (such as when Schofield spends a short time in a cellar with a French woman and the baby she is caring for--a brief moment of tenderness undercut by the relentless urgency of the mission), and when one character notes "Best not to dwell on it", you can feel the main characters' need for momentum. In moments of quiet, a horrible mix of hope and despair begins to descend.

I wasn't expecting to be as emotionally involved (and kind of got emotionally involved despite myself). I definitely shed a few tears, and I will offer up a few Hail Ozus to the film gods because I definitely stopped with 30 minutes left in the movie to watch that Fresh Prince clip where Aunt Viv does great in dance class. I think this would have been pretty splendid (and overwhelming) on the big screen.

I liked the performances (especially MacKay, who I know from Pride) and maybe my only qualm was that I had a few distracted moments of "Oh, hey! It's _______!".

I also liked this one quite a lot. I think its main strength which sets it apart from most other war films I've seen from its decade is that the action sequences had a strong sense of senselessness to them, making it feel like an anti-war film in some respects.

I also liked this one quite a lot. I think its main strength which sets it apart from most other war films I've seen from its decade is that the action sequences had a strong sense of senselessness to them, making it feel like an anti-war film in some respects.
I think it's definitely anti-war.

I mean, MAJOR SPOILERS
WARNING: spoilers below
after delivering his letter, almost dying, losing his friend, having to kill multiple people (including one with his bare hands), and various other traumas, he delivers the message and the attitude toward him is . . .okay, well, we'll all probably die tomorrow.

I think that the bittersweet coda with Blake's brother gives some emotional closure, but despite him achieving his mission the ending is in no way triumphant. Only exhausting.

I think it's definitely anti-war.

I mean, MAJOR SPOILERS
after delivering his letter, almost dying, losing his friend, having to kill multiple people (including one with his bare hands), and various other traumas, he delivers the message and the attitude toward him is . . .okay, well, we'll all probably die tomorrow.

I think that the bittersweet coda with Blake's brother gives some emotional closure, but despite him achieving his mission the ending is in no way triumphant. Only exhausting.
I also felt like many battle sequences didn't feel thrilling as much as they felt upsetting,
like his friend getting killed by a German pilot he was attempting to save, thow he had to kill a man with his bare hands for not keeping quiet, or how he was unable to stop the first wave in time at the end. It was the feel of the film which stuck out the most to me.

Overall, I was quite impressed as making an anti-war film is a difficult task, but I think Mendes managed to pull it off.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

I've never seen Elf, but I DVRed the "Buddy's Sing-Along and Cheer Edition" earlier today.

"Elf" is crap. I mean, it has Ferrell in it, right?
I can handle Ferrell in small doses, this one runs out of gas with about 30 mins left, but there were a few parts before that I laughed too hard at.

James Caan also seems like he's tailor made for the guy he plays in this. I genuinely believe he would act just like that if this really happened to him.

@GBG - I thought I saw that listed on the movies checklist.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
the search option up top of the page

Do you mean the "Lists" section? It's probably on one of the lists, but I don't know which one. (I go through them periodically to update my lists, so I'll find it eventually.)

Do you mean the "Lists" section? It's probably on one of the lists, but I don't know which one. (I go through them periodically to update my lists, so I'll find it eventually.)
Easiest way I've found to 'check-off' movies from the lists is to simply go to the movie page (via the 'Movies' tab) and mark it as seen (and preferably also rate it) on here - it automatically marks that movie off on any lists on which it appears.