Tools    

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
~12~

Director: Otto Preminger
Producer: Otto Preminger
Distributor: 20th Century Fox

328 Points - 22 Lists
(1st; 2nd; 4th-3x; 5th; 6th; 7th-2x; 8th; 9th;
12th-2x; 13th-2x; 14th; 17th; 19th; 20th; 21st; 23rd-2x)

~11~

Director: Charles Chaplin
Producer: Charles Chaplin
Distributor: United Artists

340 Points - 23 Lists
(1st-2x; 2nd-3x; 3rd-2x;
6th; 9th-2x; 10th-2x; 13th; 14th; 15th-3x; 17th; 18th; 19th; 24th; 25th-2x)

The only movie out of this pair that I had on my list was The Great Dictator. It was #17.

Anyway, the top 10 begins tomorrow. So, for those of you who are newer to this countdown thing, that means there will be one movie per day until the final day. I plan to reveal the final 3 on the same day.

I had Laura at #14 and The Great Dictator at #3. And now we're down to the final ten! It looks like Hitchcock will have two films in the top ten. I remember a couple people insisting he wouldn't have any. Although the films weren't the ones I would have picked.

My List:

2. Shadow of a Doubt (#17)
3. The Great Dictator (#11)
8. Notorious (#15)
10. Out of the Past (#32)
11. The Philadelphia Story (#37)
12. Stray Dog (#64)
13. The Grapes of Wrath (#13)
14. Laura (#12)
15. His Girl Friday (#14)
17. Drunken Angel (#54)
18. The Ox-Bow Incident (#39)
19. Sullivan’s Travels (#68)
22. Gaslight (#41)
24. The Lost Weekend (#24)
25. Five Graves to Cairo (1-pointer)

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Neither were on my list but I love them both. I'm pretty sure I Gave Laura a 4/5 last time. The Great Dictator combines slapstick with poignancy. The closinng speech was originally seen as a big mistake, but now it's iconic.
Laura (Otto Preminger, 1944)
+ - This is one of the most-original mystery plots ever filmed, with a terrific musical theme, a gorgeous Gene Tierney as the title character who inspires the theme and a beautiful painting, Clifton Webb as the wittiest man alive since Oscar Wilde, and solid support from hard-boiled police detective Dana Andrews, suave playboy Vincent Price, and Judith Anderson as Price's lover and confidante. The ending is just about perfection.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
two great movies before hitting the top ten spot. Both on my list and both I've loved since my teens. Laura at #7 and The Great Dictator at #13

Laura (1944)

Gonna start this with an old favorite.
This was the movie that I got a tremendous crush for Gene Tierney. It was VERY easy to see how everyone who met her, fell in love with her. Even with her painting as was the case of the mercurial police lieutenant played by Dana Andrews.
I had always been a fan of crime films, noirs and the like, and this one is at the top of its game. And like CR had mentioned, it goes far beyond "who done it?" and delves so much more deeper into the characters themselves. From the few movies directed by Otto Preminger that I've seen he was very skilled in "unraveling" any given character to find who they really are. Even if they begin as a caricature. You see this in the very opening lines of the movie. They begin sappy and then as the voice over is interrupted and begins to speak directly to someone, the person he is, emerges.
You see this throughout and its almost a sleight of hand as the story unfolds and you begin to wonder: "So who did do it?"
Along with the wonderful twists and the multi-layered characters there is the dialogue. It's clever, intelligent and its wit is wielded with poise and precision. Especially by Clifton Webb who plays Waldo Lydecker. It is his lines in the opening scene and he has a barrage of witticisms that he releases with cool aplomb throughout the film.
Also, you cannot mention this film and leave out Vincent Price who's character tries to play it cool while fraying at the ends. Like all the others he is an essential ingredient to this well structured and very well executed noir film whose deeper self is unraveled for your viewing pleasure.

The Great Dictator

"This is a story of a period between two World Wars -- an interim where Insanity cut loose, Liberty took a nose dive, and Humanity was kicked around somewhat."

And such reads the opening placard and begins a personal message from Charlie Chaplin's heart to a world delving deeper and deeper into global war.

Has stated previously, I'm very much a great fan of The Tramp and all of Chaplin's shorts and movies. The Great Dictator is a growing stage, creatively, as he seeks to further express a wish for kindness, not hate.
While we still see much of the fantastic physical humor of his silent era, we enjoy much of that lyrical acrobatics in, for that time, something new for his audience, an equally quick banter. All of this drawing the audience in to a more somber and very important warning about was happening during that time.

With him is an excellent cast displaying both seriousness and wonderful comedy. My favorite is Jack Oakie as the leader of Lapalonia. It's not easy to shine equally in comedic style beside Chaplin and Jack pulls it off brilliantly.

I've always admired and considered Chaplin to be a man with a beautiful, child-like soul. And with this movie, that soul cries out with child-like urgency: Stop! PLEASE, stop!

Thank you @SilentVamp for nominating it!!

EDIT= Thaks @Citizen Rules for the spelling help!!

Seen: 61/90

My List:
#1 Top 3
#2 Top 3
#3 Top 5

#4 Arsenic and Old Lace (18)
#5 Top 5-10
#6 The Big Sleep (22)
#7 Laura (12)
#8 Shocked to see it make it
#9 The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (33)
#10 High probability of still mankig it
#11 Could go either way

#12 Odd Man Out (55)
#13 The Great Dictator (11)
#14 Pinocchio (23)
#15 Kind Hearts and Coronets (26)
#16 Now, Voyager (78)
#17 The Suspect (70)
#18 Waterloo Bridge (93)
#19 A new favorite, don't see it making it
#20 highly doubted it was gonna make the list

#21 The Pride of the Yankees (59)
#22 Little Foxes (43)
#23 This REALLY should make it - hopefully
#24 Gilda (72)
#25 Arch of Triumph (1 Pointer)

Laura was #8 on my list. One of my all time favorites. I reviewed here Laura (1944)
I know no one will bother to click that link and read my review. But just for fun I have 11 reps on that post now, I'll see how many people check it out

I haven't reviewed The Great Dictator yet, though I did see it and thought it was pretty darn special.

One film from my list in this pair - The Great Dictator was my #6. That means that all of the overall Top 10 are films on my list.

My list so far (with predictions):
1. Top 3 (title contender)
2. Late Spring (#25)
3. Top 5
4. Top 10
5. Top 3 (title contender)
6. The Great Dictator (#11)
7. Top 10
8. Meshes of the Afternoon (#69)
9. The Grapes of Wrath (#13)
10. The Big Sleep (#22)
11. Brief Encounter (#21)
12. Top 10
13. Won't make it
14. Stray Dog (#64)
15. Shadow of a Doubt (#17)
16. Top 10
17. White Heat (#42)
18. Won't make it
19. Cat People (#49)
20. Top 10
21. Top 5
22. Gaslight (#41)
23. Won't make it
24. Gilda (#72)
25. Top 8

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
Laura was #8 on my list. One of my all time favorites. I reviewed here Laura (1944)
I know no one will bother to click that link and read my review. But just for fun I have 11 reps on that post now, I'll see how many people check it out

I haven't reviewed The Great Dictator yet, though I did see it and thought it was pretty darn special.
there's 12 now

Originally Posted by cricket
I wasn't crazy about Laura but have only seen it once.
I'm right there with you, cricket. I was exactly blown away by Laura either, but maybe I need to watch it again. I think the problem with me is that I'd heard about it all my life, my family had hyped it up, critics almost across-the-board loved it, and most every MoFo loves it; plus, I knew the twist that comes halfway through the movie, so that may have spoiled some of it for me. I did like it because the movie is jam-packed with actors that I love, especially Vincent Price with his mama's boy portrayal. But by the time I actually watched it I felt like I knew everything about it and had already seen it, which I hadn't. Oh well, I plan to watch it again one of these days and be more laid back about it so we'll see.

Love The Great Dictator. The parody of the evil regimes was probably a risk at the time (I don't know for a fact, just guessing) but it totally worked, and I'm glad mark f posted what he did about Hynkel/The Barber/Chaplin's impassioned speech at the end. It never fails to make me tear up. I'm glad cooler heads prevailed and it stayed in the picture.

Neither made my list.

#3 Arsenic and Old Lace
#6 Yankee Doodle Dandy
#8 Sergeant York
#9 The Pride of the Yankees
#10 The Shop Around the Corner
#11 The Best Years of Our Lives
#13 The Philadelphia Story
#14 Red River
#15 Notorious
#17 The Big Sleep
#19 Great Expectations
#21 His Girl Friday
#22 The Ox-Bow Incident
#23 Pinocchio

What I really liked about Laura, wasn't the mystery of it, or even the bigger story....what resonated with me were the little moments between the actors, when their characters seem more than just actors playing a part.

I think us movie buffs want different things out of the movies we watch. Some want the emotional pay off, or the kick in the gut ending, or a deep meaning narrative...I like those things too...But for me it's often the small moments and nuances when actors transcend the movie and become almost real.

I think Laura does that pretty well, but if I was mainly interested in the broader story, then no it wouldn't be a favorite film...however it's easily one of my favorites.

Liked The Great Dictator quite a bit but ultimately didn't vote for it. Laura was my #12. This is what i posted about it:

Laura

The only other Preminger i've seen is Anatomy of a Murder which is great but i honestly think this was better. As much as i loved Anatomy i felt it was a bit too long, even just 20 minutes less and there wouldn't be those gaps were i was left uninterested. Laura on the other hand was nice, short and riveting for every minute of its runtime. This was really not what i was expecting at all, i knew nothing about the story but for whatever reason i was under the impression this was going to be a more dark, cynial, serious film and i had a feeling Laura would be a femme-fatale.She wasn't that far off weirdly, of course she wasn't one but the results were similar: all men seemed to fall for her and ended up acting uncharacteristically crazy over her, the difference being that it wasn't intentional on her part; they were sucked in by her endearing qualities as opposed to the usual dark, mysterious, intenionally seductive femme fatales. Great performance by Tierney, very likable despite never being exactly sure if she is really as nice and good as she usually acts.

It was interesting telling the story the 'Citizen Kane way' at first with the central character dead and all we have to rely on is the recollections of people who knew her. This added an extra bit of intrigue to that formula since the people telling the stories about her are suspects in her murder. I wouldn't really call it "an unreliable narrator" because it is clear that these were how the events happened, but i at least was wondering when Waldo was telling it if this was an accurate represantion of what happened. I think that was one of the things i missed most when Laura returned, i thought we'd get Shelbys versions of events in this type of setting rather than after we already knew she was alive. The thing that improved the most was the mystery, while it had been intriguing up to that point it felt secondary to us getting to know the characters but as soon as Shelby answered the phone and was clearly not surprised to find out she was alive it really ramped up the mystery. Good ending i don't think it was amazing but it was well put together and Clifton Webb was great in that final scene.

The best things about this were definitely the dialogue and the characters. Waldo was without a doubt the best character, sorry but if you don't agree you are wrong. He was just so unbelievably cool while not being cool at the same time and i don't know how that is possible when he was a slighty eccentric, distinguished gentleman character. I loved how he acted like he wasn't a suspect in this even though he knew he was, he just wasn't having it, completely unphased by the detective; almost acting like he was purely helping the detective investigate this almost in a partner rolerather than attempting to clear his name as a suspect. The best example of his cool-unphasedness was when the detective clearly implies that Waldo is a suspect again because he was so eager for Shelby to be arrested then Waldo just nonchalantly goes "ok fine, now we are having a party for Lauras return". My god when he started threatening/analyzing the detective it just killed me. As well as how intriguing and hilarious he was, he was also surprisingly sympathetic. I felt bad knowing how crazy he was about Laura knowing she didn't have the same feelings and the clear fact that he didn't feel as if he could compete with someone like Shelby. Best character

I want to praise Dana Andrews here, particularly for his performance before Laura returned. In alot of similar movies to this the person who is playing the detective who truthfully should be as objective as possible and more of an observer often injects alot of emotion or extra character to his performance; i'm not opposed to this since it can work really well. But when it's not a PI or someone directly involved with the case it's nice to see a stern detective whose only objective is to find out what happened. I'm glad that his deeper involvement with his falling for Laura came about so close to her returning and that he still largely acted as stern even though his role was conflicted by this point. When i saw Vincent Price was in this my excitement definitely improved. I've only seen him in about five films, most of them i think i'd find terrible if he wasn't in them. He's a great presence and i never don't fully enjoy watching him. I was a bit disappointed with his role at first; he was as charming as usual but his character was a bit dull, thankfully he greatly improved once Laura came back. Judith Anderson who i thought was excellent in both Pursued and Rebecca was the most forgettable character in this, she wasn't bad but i kept forgetting she was even in it until she appeared on screen.

Great film. I hope Destiny is still in because this will most likely finish high on my list. Five left for me. Going to re-watch Castle of Cagliostro for the Animation HOF first though.
Seen: 49/90
My List: 15/25

02. Letter From An Unknown Woman
03. The Shop Around The Corner
04. How Green Was My Valley
05. Notorious
07. His Girl Friday
12. Laura
13. Bambi
14. Day of Wrath
15. My Darling Clementine
16. Shadow of a Doubt
17. Meet Me In St. Louis
18. Red River
20. Nightmare Alley
23. The Philadelphia Story
24. Pinocchio

Top Ten Guess:

01.Casablanca
02.It's A Wonderful Life
03.Citizen Kane
04.Double Indemnity
05.The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
06.The Third Man
07.Rope
08.The Maltese Falcon
09.Rebecca
10.Bicycle Thieves

Didn't watch either and would have needed to as it's been decades since I saw Laura and I can't recall ever seeing The Great Dictator as an adult.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Laura was my #19.

Before the Top 10, this is how my list stacks up so far...

1. Brief Encounter (1945)
2. Probable
3. Probable
4 .Day of Wrath (1943)
5. All the King’s Men (1949)
6 .Les Enfants du Paradis (1945)
7. I Walked With a Zombie (1943)
8. Letter From an Unknown Woman (1948)
9. Kind Hearts and Coronets (1949)
10. Probable
11. Nope
12.The Shop Around the Corner (1940)
13. Sadly not
14.The Postman Always Rings Twice (1946)
15. Probable
16.The Ghost and Mrs Muir (1947)
17.A Letter to Three Wives (1949)
18. Nope
19.Laura (1944)
20.Gilda (1946)
21. Nope
22.Meet Me In St. Louis (1944)
23.The Grapes of Wrath (1940)
24.How Green Was My Valley (1941)
25. Nope

~10~

Director: Alfred Hitchcock
Producer: David O. Selznick
Distributor: United Artists

349 Points - 24 Lists
(1st-2x; 3rd-2x; 5th; 7th-2x;
8th-2x; 9th-3x; 11th; 13th; 14th-2x;
15th-2x; 16th; 19th; 20th; 22nd; 23rd-2x)

Love Rebecca. It would be Hitchcock's most haunting film if Vertigo didn't exist. I had it at #9 this is what i posted about it:

Rebecca -

Hitch does it again! At this point i'm expecting to dislike his films but nah 16 in and i've found another one i adore. Another reason i wasn't sure was because i had heard some people say things along the lines of "the only Hitchcock film to win Best Picture was Rebecca. It is a fine film but c'mon it is just average Hitch". Well from what i've seen so far i would say it was as good as any. Beautiful film, stunning cinematography. I'm almost always interested in Hitchs films visually because of all of the differnt angles, techniques, etc he uses. In addition to that though the scenery was amazing, DeWinters beautiful house, the breathtaking view, just about every scene was a pleasure to look at.

I think this was my second time seeing Olivier. He is my mums favourite actor, funny thing is one of the main reasons she loves him so much is his performance in Wuthering Heights and some of this reminded me of the Wuthering Heights book. He was very good. He had a genuine charm but also a bit of a dark streak; kind of would have liked to have seen a bit more of him during the first half but at the same time i wouldn't have because i get the point was for her to feel completely isolated alone with Mrs Danvers and all of the memories of his dead wife. The scene where he confesses his true feelings for Rebecca and what happened was incredible. Joan Fontaine was very good, admittedly there were a few parts i thought she was noticeably bad like when she was crying in the car near the start or when she had to pretend she was looking at a real video of her and Maxs wedding; i was cringing a bit when she was saying stuff like "ooh remember that". Those were only small things though as soon as she started interacting with Mrs Danvers she became much more interesting.

One thing i often have a problem with is romances depicted too quickly, i know they are called whirlwind romances but sometimes it is just done too quickly that i don't buy into the relationship. Here i was fine with it, i'd encourage it even because they had a whole other story to tell and i'm glad they got into it fairly quickly. The thing i loved about that was the first 25 minute story of him wooing then marrying her could've been stretched into a perfectly fine romantic film, that hotel scene could've been the finale where he stops her from going to New York; it would've been generic and forgotten just one of the dozens studios pumped out every year, but regardless that is pretty amazing to me.

From when she entered the house on it was just incredible. Pretty vague word to use but i don't think you can descibe it as anything other than haunting. Those long creepy halls and large rooms, and Mrs Danvers! She was so great, extremely cold; she had such a great glare and always appeared like a ghost at the exact right moments. The mystery was very well done. So glad i went into this blind. I loved how it was almost as if Rebecca was still in the house, her memory lingered about the house, Mrs DeWinter barely being able to enter a room in the house without being confronted by her. Decent ending but i would've liked to have seen Mrs Danvers going mad.

Fantastic film. Maybe i'm rating it too high because i've just watched it but i'm thinking this may join my big four of Hitch along with Vertigo, North By Northwest and Notorious.
Seen: 50/91
My List: 16/25

02. Letter From An Unknown Woman
03. The Shop Around The Corner
04. How Green Was My Valley
05. Notorious
07. His Girl Friday
09. Rebecca
12. Laura
13. Bambi
14. Day of Wrath
15. My Darling Clementine