Looking for Movie About Calgary Flames Hockey Player

Tools    

I remember seeing this movie, and at the time I liked it. I don't think it had any footage of actual hockey, but it was about the personal life of a Calgary Flames player. It felt like a 90's film, and I think I watched it in the early 2000's. The setting felt like it could have been 80's or 90's. Oh, and the hockey player played himself. I can't remember too much about actual scenes, but I think he had a red plaid jacket and sandy blonde hair. It was a drama with an almost somber tone. It was very realistic, not glamorous at all. It wasn't melodramatic or humorous. It just felt like it was about his life and his person.

No it was not Theoren Fleury. I've already spent some time searching for it, and it's no one that obvious. He's a lesser known player who's name is not well recognized.

This probably isn't it, but I remember a very long sketch on the show "SCTV", a Canadian comedy show, that was basically a humorous life of a (I assume fictional) Canadian hockey player. I think the hockey player was played by John Candy.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Try looking at these and see if any ring a bell....

Hockey Movies

Suspect's Reviews

(I wasn't trolling you, it was the only thing I could think of that was at all close to your request. I remember the John Candy character was named "Billy", and there was a recurring song that went "Billy, you're growing to be a man . . . " or something)

I remembered one key thing, the hockey player starred as himself in the movie about his life. With that I was able to find it.

The Sheldon Kennedy Story (1999)