Captain America: The First Avenger

→ in
Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
It's unbelievably ignorant and arrogant, that's what
I beg to differ. I myself am a veteran. And an American. And don't attempt to paint me as some ignorant red stater, because I'm NOT. Life long democrat, and very much against the Iraq war. But I come from a military family. My grandfather was killed in WWII. And he was an American. And a hero. He left his family behind to...Hmmm...save the world? Are we all Nazi's right now? No? You're WELCOME.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

There's nothing wrong with a bit of patriotism.
No, there isn't. Except it's not patriotism as it shuts off the rest of the world from spawning heroes, also known as stupid pride. Kids are affected by such things don'tcha know, domestic and foreign.

No, there isn't. Except it's not patriotism as it shuts off the rest of the world from spawning heroes, also known as stupid pride. Kids are affected by such things don'tcha know, domestic and foreign.
It really doesn't. If say, France wanted to make a movie then say "Heroes are made in France" then they have every right to do so. Someone making a gung ho pro America action film doesn't shut them off from anything.

that's right. I do not want to offend anybody, but this movie is too much pride-working. time have changed to make such pieces.
moreover, they haven't payed fee to the real creators of comics

that's right. I do not want to offend anybody, but this movie is too much pride-working. time have changed to make such pieces.
It's a character called "Captain America" that was created specifically to inspire patriotism during World War II. What the hell did you think the film was going to be? Anyone expecting anything else going into this movie is walking around with his/her eyes shut.

I do not protest. I've just noticed that it was filmed now when there is no war, except American interventions into the Eastern countries

Does anyone who criticizes an American film, made largely for American audiences, and depicts America well, also go around criticizing foreign films that are similarly positive about their culture? Or is it only gauche and objectionable when America does it? Because it seems to me most people find it interesting and celebratory when it happens elsewhere.

If it is a military movie or something like this, it is always noticeably. It's called the ideology, moreover, the political one.
Paris, je t'aime, for example, is also patriotic, it seems like an ad for tourist or the inspiration to love the city where you were born. heroic movies like CA appeals to other feeling, don't you think so?
anyway, i enjoyed it

Once again, I really don't see people's problems with this. Why SHOULDN'T there be a heroic movie about America? We've done heroic things! Why can't we be proud of this? It's not political, it's not like it's a film espousing either a right wing or left wing political view point, it's a fun adventure about a comic book hero defeating Nazis, who I think we can all agree were BAD. It's fun to cheer for the good guys, and Captain America was a fun time at the cinema. Turn off the political bias, grab a bucket of popcorn and a coke, and LIGHTEN UP.

i dont see anything wrong with the plot. i don't always like America but i always love it.

the last scene was worth reading all those damn credits in the end.

Movie Forums Insomniac

After two Iron Man films, The Incredible Hulk and Thor, this film is the last piece of the puzzle before The Avengers assemble on screen in May. That being said, Captain America has the biggest burden of being a success story, especially if Marvel wants The Avengers to work. And thankfully, it delivers.

I am happy to report that Captain America isn't just a filler film so that we'll know who Chris Evans is playing once The Avengers rolls in. No, this is one very entertaining and fun-filled movie, from beginning to end.

Director Joe Johnston, who is inconsistent throughout his career, manages to deliver a well made film that covers almost everything there is to know about the Sentinel of Liberty, from his origins as a weakling with big dreams and a courage to match, to becoming a soldier that would readily risk his life to save as many of his comrades as he can. To that end, Johnston creates a WW2 era that is very authentic, from set design to costume and the overall feel of it. Even the soundtrack, led by a 40s type number The Star Spangled Man, is retro, and it doesn't feel out of place in our time. At the same time, there are developments in technology here which wouldn't make sense had this been a real story, but since it's a comic book film, it really fits and there isn't anything on display that defies logic. You'd really feel that it was all plausible when you see it.

Chris Evans does a wonderful job as Steve Rogers. I had my doubts about him, because he's the same guy that became the irresponsible Johnny Storm in the "Fantastic Four" films. But here, Evans shows a lot of maturity as the unlikely hero that steps up to become the man he was meant to be. Hayley Atwell is also great as Peggy Carter, Rogers' love interest who holds her own in combat. Tommy Lee Jones and Stanley Tucci provide some good and humorous support as Col. Phillips, Rogers' skeptical commander and Dr Erskine, creator of the super soldier program, respectively. Hugo Weaving who plays Johann Schmidt (aka Red Skull), Captain America's nemesis with evil glee, doesn't use a very convincing german accent though.

I also particularly liked how the film begins and ends, the latter part being related to the aforementioned Avengers. It was well written and executed, just the way I hoped it would be. It's safe to say that Captain America is a perfect prelude to what is to come. If you've missed it in theaters, you should definitely pick up a copy ASAP!!.

My rating -

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Your picture isn't working.

I liked this film better than Iron Man 2 and both Hulk flicks, but to me the best Marvel film is Thor. I don't know why, most of the stuff on earth is pretty lackluster, but everything else is just great.

Aside from some dodgy CGI scenes when he is first running around after the injection, and seeing Evans giant head on the tiny body, the film held my interest. A good villain, that will undoubtably return, a nice ending that sets up The Avengers and some good entertaining sequences.

No scene in particular jumps out as memorable though, but Evans was really good in the role and I look forward to him in Avengers.

Suspect's Reviews

Movie Forums Insomniac
Your picture isn't working.
Fixed