Cheesy 80s Movies

Tools    

MovieForums Extra
I have two that I am fond of.

Date With an Angel

This one starred one of my favorite soap opera actors from All My Children, Michael E. Knight. Always had a crush on Tad the Cad.

The Secret of My Success

I can still hear the soundtrack....."Oh Yeah" by Yello in particular.

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I, for one, have a hard time naming just one or two movies. The 80's had more cheese than a dairy aisle. Those of us that grew up watching those movies, however, will always defend them.
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

I was watching the 1987 classic, Superman IV: The Quest For Peace the other night and found myself actually enjoying the oh so 1980's anti-nuke, cold-war fear-mongering device. I love how now film makers don't want their films to reflect too much on current issues, and want to have a timeless quality, but 80's movies were the exact opposite; Lethal weapon 2 basically being a PSA on Aparthide, Superman taking on nuclear proliferation, and Patrick Swayze fighting the Russians in the mid-West.

...uh the post is up there...

HARDCAST OVERLORD
OMG I absolutely love 80's movies! I have a huge collection, nothing better than a big ol' dose of nostalgia. Just yesterday I showed a friend of mine Real Men. He laughed his ass off.

It's really sad about John Hughes. One of my favorite filmmakers.

This thread makes me want to pull out some of those old greats. Here are some oldie but goodies:

One Crazy Summer

Egg Stork: Ack Ack, let me tell you a little story. A story about a little fat kid who everybody made fun of, and nobody liked and he had a twin brother, and everybody said he never looked like his twin brother, but he wanted to...
Ack Ack Raymond: Egg, were you that little boy?
Egg Stork: No! No! But I used to beat the **** out him! "Why are you so fat? Why are so ugly?" Aaagghh!
Ack Ack Raymond: Great story, thanks.

Back to School

Thornton Melon: Boy, what a great-looking place. When I used to dream about going to college, this is the way I always pictured it.
Jason Melon: Wait a minute. When did you dream about going to college?
Thornton Melon: When I used to fall asleep in high school.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Vanessa: Millicent, you look charming. I love your dress. Don't YOU, Thornton? It's such a LOVELY shade of GREEN.
Thornton Melon: Yeah, if that dress had pockets, you'd look like a pool table. You should try my Tall & Fat stores. No offense.

I hesitate to even post in this thread. Several of the movies already mentioned here so far are neither bad or cheesy. I will definitely say that.

If any of you want a taste of some great 80's cheese then please to see Used Future's fantastic thread on 80's horror. located HERE.

The first movie that came to mind was Howard The Duck. It's one of those movies that, when it comes down to it, is pretty bad, but you saw it when you were a kid and it will always have a place in your heart.

Some cheese

Saturn 3 [Stanley Donen] 1980
Jaws 3-D [Joe Alves] 1983
Runaway [Michael Crichton] 1984
American Ninja [Sam Firstenberg] 1985
Commando [Mark L. Lester] 1985
Adventures in Babysitting [Chris Columbus] 1987
Jaws: The Revenge [Joseph Sargent] 1987
The Running Man [Paul Michael Glaser] 1987
Johnny Be Good [Bud S. Smith] 1988
Maniac Cop [William Lustig] 1988
Road House [Rowdy Herrington] 1989

Some cheese

Runaway [Michael Crichton] 1984
Commando [Mark L. Lester] 1985
The Running Man [Paul Michael Glaser] 1987
Maniac Cop [William Lustig] 1988
Road House [Rowdy Herrington] 1989
Su-freaking-perb!

Su-freaking-perb!
So much cheese I can smell it coming off my computer screen.

Runaway

I loved Runaway. I rented it a couple of years after it'd been released. Bullets that go around corners and Kirstie Ally? I was soooo there. Imagine how happy I was to find killer robot spiders when I watched it!

I liked movies like:

The Blob
The Thing
Bloodsport
No Retreat No Surrender

etc.

It saddens me that the 80s are more often than not associated with cheezyness. There were some great things to come from the 80s.

If you are the right age, John Huges isn't cheese. He's the director who helped put how you felt on the screen. Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, classics. I don't think of the Breakfast Club as cheesy.

Now, if it is cheese you want, I will give you Berry Gordy's The Last Dragon, which, by the way, I absolutely love. I had it on VHS. I *made* DVDs for friends before you could actually buy it on DVD (it was out of print for quite some time).

Some more cheese? How about Buckaroo Banzi? Epically classic cheese. You can't beat Jeff Goldbloom's bizarre cowboy outfit. Or John Lithgow. Man I miss the 80s.

And huge kudos to who ever posted about Breakin' 2, Electric Boogaloo. Throw with that Beat Street (Ice-T before law and order, heh heh), and even a little movie with Gregory Hines, Tap!. (Tap was about a professional cat burglar who was also a tap dancer. If you like dancing movies, check it out, it also had Sammy Davis Jr. and a bunch of old classic tap dancers.)

Don't forget that the 80s was the birth place of the two Coreys, with a myriad of great cheesy flicks. The LostboYs is one of the best 80s flicks bar none.

I could go on.

Maybe later, I suddenly feel the need to travel back in time, to a happier time. A more neon colored time.

I'm not old, you're just 12.

If you are the right age, John Hughes isn't cheese. He's the director who helped put how you felt on the screen. Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, classics. I don't think of the Breakfast Club as cheesy.
I disagree with this, I felt like John Hughes didn't really put how I felt as a teenager on the screen at all. Heathers did, however. I mean the depiction of high school as a sort of Hell is dead on for those of us who were not particularly anyone in High School society. Also for me, Edward Scissorhands was a movie that put how I felt as a teenager onscreen.

I'm not bashing John Hughes, I mean if someone feels like he spoke for them, then he did. But me, not so much. I did love National Lampoon's Vacation and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles by him, though.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Howard the Duck wins this one.

It saddens me that the 80s are more often than not associated with cheezyness. There were some great things to come from the 80s.

If you are the right age, John Huges isn't cheese. He's the director who helped put how you felt on the screen. Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Sixteen Candles, classics. I don't think of the Breakfast Club as cheesy.
Good post and right on.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Rocky IV is an '80's cheesy classic.

All of the above, though you lot forgot about Ghoulies 2.
More 'cheesie horror' but I remember watching it when I was only 5 years old and it was cheesie enough for me to not be scared.