Movie Tab II

Tools    

I have the MGM unrated director's cut disc and am referring to the scene in which Combs sucks a nurses eyeball out (you see it plop to the floor) so he can get at her brains. That and a few other segments were censored on the films initial release and only restored a couple of years back for the dvd - Gordon actually thought the footage had been lost until it turned up in a random film cannister and was restored. I used to have the old Vestron video release aswell and that was cut to pieces, i.e. it had visible jump cuts, no eyeball sucking, and hardly any bondage.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
There was plenty bondage and eye sucking and I think I remember the guy mentioning it was unrated, which is why the one guy left with his kid within the first ten minutes.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...

Dolemite (D'Urville Martin, 1975) -
(Camp rating:
)

I don't watch much blaxploitation (I think the last one I watched was The Mack, which was over two years ago now) although if Dolemite is any indication, I should probably start watching more of them. The titular character is a notorious pimp who is wrongfully imprisoned by a pair of corrupt cops so a rival gangster can claim his turf. However, the police let him go in order to bring down the people responsible by any means necessary. Granted, it's a paper-thin plot with more than its fair share of holes, but who cares? Dolemite is just plain, no-budget, incoherent, cool-as-ice fun.

Between the hilarious performances (the supporting cast is great, although Rudy Ray Moore as Dolemite himself is legendary, delivering the word "motherf***er" in ways Samuel L. Jackson could never touch), the ridiculously bad attempts at action (you can see people miss each other when exchanging blows in fights) and the very amateur feel to it (if I had a dollar every time I saw a boom mic appear in the shot...), Dolemite is just a bit of awesomely terrible fun. It's enough to make me start looking for more films like it, anyway, and hell, if they're half as enjoyable as Dolemite then I don't really regret it.

Welcome to the Dollhouse (Todd Solondz, 1995) -

Ah, Todd Solondz. I don't think he can be called a master of black comedy, but I think that between this and Happiness he's not exactly a lightweight. Based on pre-teen misfit Dawn, who is in a word miserable with life both at school and home, it's yet another free-form dive into the lives of its characters - namely, its tortured protagonist who goes through all manner of hardships that make up a particularly rough childhood. The film has Solondz's distinct touch to it, wringing out some decent humour from the strangest places (even though it can be incredibly cringe-inducing at times) and while it's not exactly the most enjoyable film, it still manages to be rather decent. Even though it does seem exaggerated in parts (Dawn's family seems a little too cruel to be totally believable), it never seems completely unrealistic and the film is just bound to strike a chord with every viewer to some extent.

Bad Boy Bubby (Rolf de Heer, 1993) -

I've noticed that the past few Australian films I've seen have been rather strange and terrible efforts (with the exception of Mary and Max, which was certainly strange but definitely not terrible). First came the documentary-like drug film Pure S***, then the harsh and unflinching depiction of prison life in Ghosts...of the Civil Dead. I thought both of those were pretty nasty little films, albeit somewhat enjoyable. Well, those ones were a walk in the proverbial park compared to Bad Boy Bubby. This film is blacker than the cover of a Spinal Tap album and a tough watch for anyone. It's dark, disturbing and depressing - in addition to being downright bizarre and confusing.

The first (and toughest) half hour introduces us to Bubby (Nicholas Hope), a mentally challenged 35-year-old who has spent his entire life locked in a tiny flat with only his mother for company (who mistreats him in a horrible variety of ways). A series of unfortunate events leads to Bubby ending up outside the flat and on the streets in a world he has trouble understanding. He tries to learn from the people he meets and the things he sees, with varying degrees of success and failure. No matter what happens, be it good or bad, Bubby goes on, parroting other people and discovering talents in a way that keeps him going.

It's hard to decide where I stand when it comes to Bad Boy Bubby. It's a difficult film to watch even by my relatively high standards. I don't think I'll go into detail about a lot of the stuff that happens (although let's just say it earns its R18+ rating), and to be honest I'm not exactly sure if I like it or not. It's got a strong enough narrative that's compelling enough to make me want to see how things turn out for Bubby in the end, for better or for worse. While parts of it feel like they're thrown in merely for shock value, I can see how they fit into Bubby's story and development and manage a certain degree of poignancy. All in all, it's one very strange filmic experience that I'm still having a little trouble trying to digest - I'm wondering if that reaction alone is enough to give a recommendation to others. I guess if you can handle something as out there as Bad Boy Bubby and can find a copy easily enough, I say go for it.

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

Now now, I was thrilled at this poster. I mean look at it, there, finally, what the first movie was missing. (Call T-I-C-K-E-T-1, to get your traffic tickets done.) A black robot, in control. You see, cause who was the strongest robot? Optimus "Prime", (Tosh.0 on Thursday Nights on Comedy Central) just look at a picture of him since I can't post pictures.

Now, where's the black on this robot? Nowhere. Just another way the man is trying to bring us down. Although, I've got to say, I love Michael Bay, always the best product placement, a tactic that I don't hate. (Hungry? Grab a Snickers.) I was more psyched for this than the Inauguration of Barack "Messiah" Hussein Obama. Until I saw the "enhanced" version.

Now, that's a white robot. A mayonnaise-eating, polo-shirt-wearing, can't-understand-rap-music, cracker. Who do we get? Two twin "jive-talking" robots? Where are their fathers? (Need your thirst quenched? Buy Sprite.) Of course, the Witwicky boy gets a father, and a college education, what do these twins get? They get to be a box on wheels.

Compelete and utter racism. (Pepsi throwback, in stores now.)

Hehehehe, you're a funny troll.

Just remember that racism against whites is still racism - your post makes me think of the pot calling the kettle "African-American".

&eurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cracked.com%2Farticle_16256_near-misses-6-worst-movies-hollywood-almost-made.html&feature=player_embedded

MovieForums Extra
The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the Eighth Dimension (1984 - W. D. Richter)
A+

OMG, I cannot remember when I had so much fun watching a movie. It was just one scene after another that had me cracking up. Peter Weller (perfectly cast) is a rock musician, particle physicist, neurosurgeon, martial arts master and jet car driver who must save the world from Red Lectriods from Planet 10 in just a few scant hours. He does this with his merry band called the Hong Kong Cavaliers. This group is part of a think tank from New Jersey. Of course, where else would they be from. They also form his rock band. Buckaroo is also aided by the Black Lectroids, who are fighting against the Red Lectroids. The Red Lectroid's leader is Lord John Whorfin, who is trapped in the body of Dr. Emilio Lizardo (played perfectly by John Lithgow.) Whorfin had been banished to the eighth dimension and manages to escape and possess Lizardo's body during an experiment gone bad. On earth, Whorfin's posse operates the Yoyodyne Propulsion System, who need an oscillation overthruster to return to their home on Planet 10. It just so happens that one was invented by Buckaroo and they mean to steal it.

At times, this movie has all the appearance of having been shot in somebody's garage. This only adds to the satire. Did I mention there is also romance? Buckaroo falls for Penny Priddy (Ellen Barkin) who is the spitting image of his late dead wife. Of course, Buckaroo must save the fair damsel, who is willing to give up her own life for the greater good.

The theme music at the end of the movie during the credits was playing in my head for days.

This movie is highly recommended.

Some Like It Hot -
+

(Billy Wilder, 1959)

Yes! I finally get to smack on another 1% to a couple of my MoFo lists: this was my very first viewing of Some Like It Hot, and I had been wanting to see it for quite some time (ever since last Christmas when I first saw The Seven Year Itch).

In short, I loved it. Its clever, brilliant comedy had me laughing out loud and the performances of Marilyn Monroe, Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon left me dazzled. I was completely absorbed in the film, and I'm glad to call this wonderful classic a new personal favorite comedy (or, rather, it's among my favorites).

After watching this and The Seven Year Itch, it's safe to say that I'm going to try and collect all of Miss Monroe's movies in which she stars; she's quickly becoming one of my favorite actresses, and she only ever starred in a suprisingly low 20 or so films, so obtaining them all over time on DVD should be relatively easy (if they're all available on DVD, that is).

Cold Mountain -
+

(Anthony Minghella, 2003)

A visceral tale of a woman awaiting the return of her lover who went off to fight in the Civil War, depicting the war in all of its inglorious horror. The acting, with performances by Nicole Kidman, Natalie Portman, Renee Zellweger, and Jude Law, is solid all-around and the story is gripping--even awe-inspiring--but the plot seems to drag at times which throws the pacing off, lessening the cinematic experience.

All in all, a solid movie, but has its fair share of flaws.

Devour -

(David Winkler, 2003)

Eh...the picture pretty much says it all. A pretty weird (in a bad way) movie with a story that struggles to remain interesting and characters that are pretty one-dimensional. Some of the effects and deaths are cool, but...that's about it for positive feedback for Devour.

Blue Smoke -

(David Carson, 2007)

Eh...(again), a made-for-TV movie that wasn't too great but wasn't horribly bad, either. I only watched it for one reason, and her name is Alicia Witt.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Hellboy(2004)Guillermo del Toro

This was on tv the other day, so I gave it a re-watch. My opinion of it hasn't changed any. I still find it an enjoyable movie with some really cool looking characters, but I want to like it a whole lot more than I do. I always enjoy the worlds that del Toro creates, but knowing what he can do, I can't help but to fill a bit dissapointed with Hellboy. C+

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang(2005)Shane Black

Some good chemistry between Robert Downey Jr and Val Kilmer and some witty dialogue almost saved this movie for me, but it just wasn't enough. When they weren't bantering back and forth, I alternated between being bored and annoyed (mostly when Harmony was on-screen.) C-

Shame (1968, Ingmar Bergman)

La Jetee (1962, Chris Marker) rewatch

Sans Soleil (1983, Chris Marker)

Ace in the Hole (1951, Billy Wilder)

Burn After Reading (2008, Joel and Ethan Coen)

Eraserhead (1977, David Lynch)

Samurai Rebellion (1967, Masaki Kobayashi)

Marnie (1964, Alfred Hitchcock)

F for Fake (1974, Orson Welles)

Castle in the Sky (1986, Hayao Miyazaki)
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Ponyo on a Cliff by the Sea

My favorite film so far this year - an absolute blast every time. Sets the bar even higher for animation (and it was already pretty high up in my opinion). A beautiful film with awe inspiring hand drawn sights and an equally magical score.

Guns of Navarone

I really dug the characters and their relationships , but the action scenes ranged from hilariously dated , to somewhat exciting , to tedious.

Playtime

Harry's little write-up on this one forced me to get my hands on this one as quick as possible - I'm fully open to movies with formless approach , but this one almost put me to sleep. I'm sure some would appreciate this one , but I am definitely not one of them.

Batman Begins

The one that introduced us to comic book movies with not only cringe-free dialogue , but top notch - engrossing writing. Obviously not visually adept as it's successor , it offers something entirely different - an intimate and sensible back story on possibly the best superhero of all time.

Also ... Morgan Freeman , Christian Bale , Micheal Caine , Liam Neeson , Gary Oldman , and Tom Wilkinson ....

The Prestige

Although I'd say the story's impact was muted on my second viewing , it's still a very enjoyable movie with top notch acting and often brilliant cinematography. A mystery I'd happily divulge into over most other films of the kind.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Richard Pryor Live in Concert (Jeff Margolis, 1979)

I almost didn't write anything up about this, but I mainly thought I would because sometimes I think that people will automatically like it or dislike it just because of the subject matter and the language Pryor uses. The comedian does use a ton of the N-words (something he later stopped altogether) and mofos everywhere, that's for sure. He talks about sex, family, racism, pets, drugs, hunting, boxing, heart attacks, sexism, funerals, children, corporal punishment, wet Q-tips, mouth-to-mouth resuscitation, long lines, freaky-deaky, The Exorcist, the Vincent Price The Fly, "Macho Man", "dead person", Long Beach, and much more. I laugh longer and more often at this movie than any other movie I've seen, and when I'm not laughing, I'm wearing an enormous smile of recognition.

Honeysuckle Rose (Jerry Schatzberg, 1980)

This film was actually renamed On the Road Again to take advantage of the film's hit song. It's a two-hour flick which is about one hour's worth of pretty good Willie Nelson concert footage (in character with his movie band and singers) interspersed with a slight reworking of the Ingrid Bergman films Intermezzo (she made two versions). Willie is married to Dyan Cannon, but when he takes the young daughter (Amy Irving) of his retiring guitarist best friend (Slim Pickens) on tour with him, a love affair ensues. The film is both a drama and a comedy (Willie and Slim make a good team), and Robby Müller's photography is especially evocative and makes things seem more complex and important than they actually are. However, I used to think better of this one, so maybe I was just not in the best frame of mind when I watched it (although probably not).

A Night Porter's Point of View (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1977)

This short film is technically a documentary about one man who has very strong ideas about supporting the Communist government and inflicting as much "justice" against as many people as he possibly can. The title translates as "Night Porter", but in the U.S. we used to call him a night watchman and nowadays a security guard. This guy though goes on and on about having public hangings and that when individuals question the government that it's just not right. If taken as a straight doc, it's a bit scary, but even at 17 minutes, it's a little too long and cinematically-flat. However, if you take it as a satiric jab at a man's thinking (I'm not even sure the guy isn't an actor) and at the government in charge in Poland in the '70s, it's more interesting.

Le Boucher (Claude Chabrol, 1970)

This is probably my fave Chabrol film. It's set in a small French town where a school headmistress (Stéphane Audran) strikes up a friendship with a butcher (Jean Yanne) who's recently returned to cater a wedding. Meanwhile, a serial killer seems to be terrorizing the area, and it definitely affects the relationship between the two adults. Right from the weird opening credits which show a cave near the town where the school children later go on a field trip, the film is unsettling, especially when accompanied by Pierre Jensen's freaky music. Chabrol always uses Hitchcockian touches such as subjective camera, long shots inside cars, and a general way of being able to shoot in long takes while showing a lot without being flamboyant, but here he's really at his best. The two lead characters are also two of the more realistic leads he's ever built his films around. You can see the humanity and pain in their eyes when they remember their pasts and think about their futures. If you haven't watched much in the way of Chabrol, I suggest starting with this one and branching out if you enjoy the flavor and cut of it.

Waltz With Bashir (Ari Folman, 2008)

Basically, this is an animated documentary about the 1982 Lebanon War and how the director cannot actually recall certain key incidents he was witness to, but still has nightmares stemming from some memories. He visits friends and soldiers who were there with him and together they try to piece together what really happened. Although the animation is striking, it's mostly in the use of color and added-on effects. The faces of the people all have something almost resembling a lifeless quality, but that's undoubtedly the point. Also, if you aren't aware of the political and historical significance of what's been happening in the Middle East at least since WWII (but basically since written history), the film's pace and occasional talkiness might get to you before some intense action, heady surrealism and powerful truths sink in during the second half. Overall, it's an important film and an artistic one as well which can only grow in stature the more one learns about the subject and sees it tragically repeat ad infinitum.

Heaven's Gate (Michael Cimino, 1980)

I was one of those people who actually saw Heaven's Gate in 1980 in its original version before UA pulled it, recut it and dumped it back on the market five months later. At 219 minutes, it certainly is a formidable film and one which you have to be prepared for. (Of course, any movie over three-and-a-half hours needs your dedication, especially at the theatre.) What got Heaven's Gate into trouble with most viewers (and critics) is that it started out with several long, mostly-impressive (in and of themselves) set pieces which didn't especially seem to connect to each other and further the plot. In other words, the most-difficult part of the film was the beginning. Of course, several foreign epics have been structured similarly and hailed as masterpieces, and although I won't namedrop them right now, most of them are Italian. Then, there is the other thing which caused Heaven's Gate to bomb, and that was that there was a backlash against Cimino for winning the Oscar Best Picture (The Deer Hunter) with what some wrong-headed people (including Jane Fonda) thought was a pro-war, right-wing flick.

Now, I went back in 1981 and rewatched the film, cut by 70 minutes, and it's true that it was faster-paced and that it seemed action-packed (most all of the action was rear-loaded originally), but it also seemed choppy because the set pieces which used to be 20 minutes were now five minutes long. It also eviscerated much of the character motivations, the acting, the thematic complexity, and left you wondering who some people were. Today, I rewatched the restored version, and although it's still something of a tough row to hoe, it's certainly the way to watch the film. For one thing, Vilmos Zsigmond's sepia-toned cinematography is both spectacular in the context of the film and in the way we see history often through old sepia photos of the West. The film is about the Johnson County Wars of Wyoming in 1892, and the scenery is impressive and makes you feel as if you were close to Heaven's Gate, but in this version, there's just as much hellfire as anything.

Heaven's Gate is a big flick, and it has a big cast. The central character is obviously the man played by Kris Kristofferson who sides with the European immigrant settlers against the Cattleman's Association and eventually the U.S. Army. He meets and falls in love with a wild Frenchwoman (Isabelle Huppert), but she also loves Christopher Walken who's actually on the wrong side of the situation. Sam Waterston plays a scumbag who's basically in charge of arranging the killing of the settlers, and John Hurt, who doesn't believe in what he stands for, is also on his side just because he's too ineffectual. The cast is full of many other names, including Jeff Bridges, Brad Dourif, Joseph Cotten, Mickey Rourke, Terry O'Quinn, Geoffrey Lewis, Richard Masur, Tom Noonan, and a few others. David Mansfield's elegaic musical score is a strong asset (he's the violinist in the movie every time you see one), and the sets and costumes are spectacular. Ultimately, Heaven's Gate comes across as some strange melding of 1900, McCabe and Mrs. Miller and Soldier Blue. Some people will hate it, others will love it, and many will scratch their heads. But if you get through it to the end, it's obvious that it's trying to be about something important, and in more than one way, it succeeds.

In the Beginning...

A Perfect World (Eastwood, 1993)

Wonderfully surreal film that benefits largely from Costner's charisma and Eastwood's ability to frame stories. I was surprised to learn that the film wasn't actually based on a novel. It's got that feel; that every circumstance seems to have a deeper meaning lingering underneath.

Actually, I'm beginning to understand what bothers me about a lot of Eastwood's films. While he doesn't seem to be completely lost on the power of subtlety - as evidenced by the connection between Costner and the boy - he usually goes straight at the social issues he wants to confront, which often comes off as much too forced. I certainly felt that way about Million Dollar Baby, and I've heard Gran Torino takes much the same liberty. A Perfect World touches on gender roles, but I found the frequency a bit heavy handed, as if characters seem to make a point of speaking up about it.

Still, an excellent film that knows how to juggle the issue of morality and goodness in all the right ways.

Ocean's Eleven (Soderbergh, 2001)

Fun, sharp, inventive, stylish. This one is still just magic.

Ocean's Twelve (Soderbergh, 2004)

This one... not so much. I can see where Soderbergh was trying to take it, stylistically-speaking, but I'm not sure it worked as well as he'd hoped. It gets better as the film goes on, with a particularly fun segment involving a cameo by Bruce Willis, but the writing limps along, and the sleight-of-hand reveal at the end seems tacky and unfounded. I also have to say that in the area of new faces, Vincent Cassell easily outshines Catherine Zeta-Jones (who's just bland in this film), and it's a shame Albert Finney is so underused. Oh well.

Ocean's Thirteen (Soderbergh, 2007)

This one is a little better. Soderbergh took the style of the film back to its roots - that is, a new age Rat Pack picture - with all the slick wheeling and dealing back in force. Shamefully, now it's Vincent Cassell who's underused, and in some respect Al Pacino, who fills the villain role pretty well in the beginning, but spends the rest of the film playing the victim. The plot is a little more competent this time around, and with a little more heart, but it feels too much like an overblown remake of the first film. I'm being too unkind. It's a pretty fun watch, even if it doesn't fly as well as its predecessor.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Corrina, Corrina

Sweet, funny and touching. Where did this Whoopi go, she's wasted on the View, I'd love to see her back in movies. Tina Majorino is uber cute as Molly, she should be doing more movies too. Good direction and a sweet a$$ jazz soundtrack.

In the Company of Men (Neil LaBute, 1997) -

Granted, this wasn't as absolutely horrible as it had been hyped up for me, but yeah, it's not exactly the most pleasant film on the shelves. While it was pretty unremarkable in terms of technical prowess (the camerawork and by extension the visual style of the film were by and large very static), I suppose it wasn't particularly necessary to the film's extremely caustic content. I liked it well enough - Aaron Eckhart delivers the stand-out performance as Chad, the smooth-talking executive who ropes in miserable co-worker Howard (Matt Malloy, delivering a reasonably good straight man performance) to "hurt somebody". Even though it did feel like it dragged in parts, it was still an alright movie, and yet again I was disappointed that it was nowhere near as confronting as I expected it to be.

Ghosts of Mars (John Carpenter, 2001) -

Ah, John Carpenter. He's directed quite a few of my favourite films but in the later years of his career he seems to have mellowed and not worried so much about turning out spectacular films. Carpenter's a B-movie director at heart and Ghosts of Mars is essentially like most of his other films, although I'm a little less inclined to like it. I'm not entirely sure why - maybe it's because it's a highly derivative film (most obviously of Carpenter's earlier classic Assault on Precinct 13 in taking a rag-tag collection of cops and robbers and uniting them against a common enemy) or because it feels rather underdone anyway, but yeah, I'd definitely put this in the bottom half of his filmography. One thing I'll say about it - if it weren't for Carpenter's name on the cover I'd probably never watch it at all.

Eraserhead (David Lynch, 1977) -

It seems like a tongue-in-cheek parody of the kind of pretentious art film that most people would categorise it as, but I still enjoy Eraserhead quite a bit. Sure, it's slow, random and as I mentioned it seems more than a litle pretentious, but I still lean more towards liking it than disliking it. Make of that what you will. I still can't get over how they managed to make such a convincing-looking special effect like the baby.

The Sex O'Clock News (Romano Vanderbes, 1984) -

I found this on an old VHS tape in the "exploitation film" section of my video store and decided just to watch it for the hell of it because the title and premise sounded so random. The film is essentially just a series of sketches in the vein of Kentucky Fried Movie tied together by the titular news program and its strange collection of hosts (one of which is played by Wayne "Newman" Knight, who's just about the only real highlight in the cast). Much of the content is merely existing footage being recut and dubbed over, which is more amusing to watch than the original content for the show. I have to admit, it did get a few good laughs out of me, but ultimately its extremely poor quality and often unfunny moments do get the better of it and ultimately I can't rate it higher than a
(and even then that's being rather generous). Oh, well, it's not the worst comedy I've ever seen.

The Devil's Backbone (Guillermo del Toro, 2001) -

This is more like it. I should actually start watching more of del Toro's films, now that I think about it. This one had an inventive storyline (revolving around a Spanish orphanage in the wake of the civil war and the strange occurrences that've been going on there) well-written and well-performed characters, surprisingly decent effects work and overall just a great amount of entertainment value. The Devil's Backbone is a compelling film and it kept me riveted until the very end. It has a very similar feel to Pan's Labyrinth and on that basis I recommend it to virtually anyone who'd enjoy such an intense but ultimately enjoyable slice of paranormal fantasy.

In the Beginning...

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Brevig, 2008)

Pretty asinine, but at least it errs on the side of stupid fun rather than science. Brendan Frasier eeks out a little bit of his former charm, and Josh Hutcherson performs admirably (Kentucky represent!). Effects range from decently good to astonishingly bad, and same goes for some of the film's logic (like the ever-popular "jump the track" mine car routine). Overall, not a bad effort... just a forgettable one.

Harold and Kumar go to White Castle(Danny Liner 2004)-This movie is always fun to watch a really good profane comedy filled with a lot of stupid and ridiculous moments that make you laugh really hard

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Surveillance (Jennifer Lynch)

WARNING: "Surveillance" spoilers below
Note to filmmakers, when you put the ending at the beginning, the plot twist at the end doesn't work.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hellboy II: the Golden Army

I found the first Hellboy to be incredibly average and anti-climatic. I had some hopes for the sequel, but the trailers made it seem like there was just too much going on. It seems like the film is trying really hard to create this other world in which Del Toro can have his fun, run wild and create some pretty interesting creatures and locals. Hellboy II is exactly this, but I did enjoy it more then the first one.

Abe is given more screen time, but his character seemed to irritate me at the end, would he really do what he does? I thought he was smarter then that. Don't tell me he was in love either, I just couldn't really buy that relationship. It seemed forced and used as a device just so that we could get to the battle sequence at the end.

Perlman proves again why he is the man to play Hellboy. He has so much fun in this role and it shows. Why these films don't make him a bigger star, I don't know. he has the action role down pat and his comedic bits are great. Sure he doesn't have the face of Tom Cruise, but this guy should be in more movies.

The film looks beautiful and it moves at a great pace. The action sequences, while great, don't add up to anything. It really just seems like they go to one location fight, then go to the next to fight. The fault of both this film and the first is that is has the potential to be really great and I know Del Toro can deliver, but on both tries the films have been just decent. Good films that you like, but wouldn't rush out to buy or remember years later.

The bad guy, who was also the baddie in Del Toro's other comic book flick Blade II, is the highlight. He is great and I hope to see Goss in more roles as well. Although, in the film there is a point they make about him and his sister and once they show it you know exactly how the film is going to end. The Golden Army could have been in the film a bit more, but that's just a minor complaint. It seemed like the film's climax wasn't really the biggest battle. The Nature Creature (which reminded me of Cloverfield) seemed to pose more of a threat and the film couldn't jump over that hurdle, which came mid way through the film.

To wrap it up, this film improves on some things from the original, but not so much to make me really adore it. I can recommend it because it's fairly entertaining and does a good job at pleasing the fans. I'm hoping the next film, they pull out all the stops and really wow us. The potential is there, they just need to see it.

PS: Extra points for that final shot though.

In the Beginning...

Willow (Howard, 1988)

Actively aging, but still a strong favorite for me. The charm is just too rich not to like, and you rarely see Val Kilmer having so much fun these days (if you see him at all).

Le pacte de loups, "Brotherhood of the Wolf" (Gans, 2001)

Dusky, cavalier period film that's more fantasy than history, but loads of fun nonetheless. The mystery of the "Beast" sustains the film quite well, and although the finale is somewhat convenient and cheesy, getting there makes for a spirited romp, thanks in no small part to the film's stylish action scenes. The dubbing is suprisingly believable, with many of the film's actors contributing their own voices in English.