Disappointing Movies

Tools    

The movie Gosford Park, imho, was way overrated, rather slow and dull, and wasn't worth the Academy Award for the Best Picture of the year 2001.

Tampopo, a movie about food and cooking, was also a disappointment for me. Too slow, and uninteresting.

The movies Sleeper and Play It Again, Sam also proved disappointing to me. I'm not a big fan of Woody Allen, anyway, though.

I loved Gosford Park

Some excellent calls in this thread.
have to agree on the latest Indiana Jones - that was an amazing steamy load of ****. but then again Lucas fell off years ago and you have to wonder about Spielberg now after a movie like War of the Worlds. Disagree with the hate for No Country - it blew me away in the theatre, suspense, action, comedy, excellent performances what more can you ask for when films like Zohan are cleaning up at the box office.

But recent epic failures imo have been:

spiderman 3
rambo
the mist
number 23
indiana jones 4
sex and the city
Sex and the City was OK, but the sequel made the first film look like Citizen Kane

The most disappointing film to me was The Towering Inferno: not only did I have to pay what were then big bucks for the tickets but I had to wait in a long line under a hot Houston summer sun to buy them, all for an unimaginative Hollywood formula film with too many stars doing too little. How Hollywood was it? Steve McQueen's part had to be enlarged so that he had the same number of lines and equal billing with Paul Newman. The special effects were cheesy and the story never focused on anyone long enough for you to give a rat's patootie who lived or died.

One critic had what I thought was a very valid complaint and original idea for the film, which he noted featured two stars famous for their physical abilities: dancer Fred Astaire and football hero O.J. Simpson (in the pre-murder days when he was still popular). The critic (I forget who) wondered why the studio didn’t take those two stars, so famous for their physical movements, and put them in some scene together that allowed them to move. Coming up with a scene that could spotlight both actors would have been a challenge and an imaginative accomplishment. Instead, Astaire gets an Oscar nomination for again playing a kindly old gentleman and O.J. plays a security guard who rescues a cat.

Worst yet, I later read the two books on which that movie was based (to avoid two studios coming out at the same time with two similar films, each from one book). Either of the books was much better than the film, and they had more interesting characters who were not used in the film. One was a homosexual interior designer who tries to torch the office of his failing business inside the highrise. The other was a Puerto Rican kid whose mom worked as a cleaning lady in the building; he tries to torch the place so she can come home. Neither is the cause of the resulting inferno, but together they do a great job of trying to warn and evacuate others when the bigger inferno erupts.

Another big disappoint was John Wayne’s last film, The Shootist, because again the book had the better story and ending. In the book, it’s the kid who kills the old gunfighter, then steals his guns, horse, and the money the old man left for the kid’s mother and sets out to live his fantasy of being a famous gunfighter. Much more interesting than the silly finish to the movie.
The Towering Inferno is a serious guilty pleasure of mine that I never get tired of re-watching. I do agree that OJ Simpson could have been used to better advantage and it was kind of sad to see Astaire's dancing in the film reduced to one spin on the dance floor with Jennifer Jones. I guess I should also mention here that the book is ALWAYS better than the movie...that's a given and and an unfair criticism of a movie.

...I should also mention here that the book is ALWAYS better than the movie...that's a given and and an unfair criticism of a movie.
Amen! It doesn't matter what movie, the book is almost always better.

I always say why waste time reading a long book when you can watch the movie in 2 hours

Movie Forums Squirrel Jumper
The ending to the book of The Shootist doesn't sound as good as the movie's ending, but maybe I need to read the book in context to appreciate the pay off.

Another disappointing movie was The Godfather Part II I watched recently. It's number 3 on the Imdb top 250, which makes that the most overrated movie I have seen possibly. It's not terrible or anything, but I found it very average and predictable, and it recycled pretty much the same ending from the first movie.

Yeah, and if it had gone with the shootout it would've been just another thriller that would've been forgotten, not to mention miss the point of the rest of the movie. What the Coens did was take the whole thriller concept and twist it brilliantly. It challenged the norm. Some people loved it, some people hated it, everyone was definitely changed by it.

The rest of your post should be posted separately under the title "***** You Already Know".
I liked the film No Country for Old Men. I thought it was very well done, although it was somewhat sadistic in parts.

Im talkin Wild Wild West level stuff here! XMen 3 Spidey 3 Pirates 3! All stunk, but had no business stinking. Some movies fall short, but this is aimed towards movies with money, talent, time, and marketing there shouldnt be failures.

Indiana Jones And The Crystal Skull was horrendous! So bad I wonder if Speilbergs lost his touch. Harrison and he held out for 15 or so years...for that!? Truly a "WTF!?" type movie. Remember kids - Monkies hate russians.

I could go on a rant about The Thin Red Line, but I wont. It dissappointed. Very much.

Never saw Speed 2. Heard it sucked a bunch.

Aliens 3 was a stinker. Droopy, gloomy, and they were fighting a dog alien! Who gives a spit about some dumbassed dog alien when the android, the marine, and the kid died BEFORE THE BEGINNING CREDITS WERE DONE! They strived to f-up in that movie. Actually thats like X-Men 3 where they killed Cyclops with a star trek security guard indifference.

What the hell was the storyline about in Spider-Man 3?! Augh! Pick a villain you wanting to sell a toy m-****ers!

Another thing on Wild Wild West....I heard beforehand how bad it was. I felt mentally prepared to watch it, and not take it serious. FAIL! Oh the waste! Salmas hiney couldnt save!

George Romero has been passed by. His last two zombie movies were "Meh".

No Country For Old Men should NOT have won Best Picture, and yeah its because of the last 30 minutes. Oh so sorry, but if the Coehns were focused throughout that work it would have been an incredible three way shootout not seen since The Good The Bad And The Ugly. Im not dissuaded by the marketing machine! THEY BLEW IT! Straight up - Way of The Gun was a better movie.
I never understood what was so bad about Speed 2. I thought it was kind of good kind of not, and right in the middle. But other people act like it's as bad as The Room (2003) and a tragedy of filmmaking, which I never thought it was that bad.

I liked the film No Country for Old Men. I thought it was very well done, although it was somewhat sadistic in parts.
It is one of the grimmer of McCarthy's "border trilogy." For reading, allow me to recommend the comparatively lighter, Blood Meridian. If old Judge Holden doesn't make you laugh, nothing will.

One movie everyone loves which I do not understand is Reservoir Dogs. It was always hyped up to be one of the greatest movies ever made, and then when I saw it, I found it to be an average okay thriller at best, and do not understand the best movies of all time quality to it.

One movie everyone loves which I do not understand is Reservoir Dogs. It was always hyped up to be one of the greatest movies ever made, and then when I saw it, I found it to be an average okay thriller at best, and do not understand the best movies of all time quality to it.
Was there anything specific about it that rubbed you the wrong way, or did you just not find it to have many stand-out qualities?

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
Why did you do that?

We all must learn not to touch the hot stove one way or another. Lesson sticks tho.

I think the most disappointing movie i have ever watched is the Avengers endgame. This movie had the worst ending that i did not like.

I think the most disappointing movie i have ever watched is the Avengers endgame. This movie had the worst ending that i did not like.
What, what on Earth was wrong with the ending to Endgame? I mean, I'm not even that big a Marvel fan, but I thought it was a great capper to "The Infinity Saga" regardless...

Was there anything specific about it that rubbed you the wrong way, or did you just not find it to have many stand-out qualities?
Nothing specific at all, just didn't have many stand out qualities for me, yes. I like some of the humor in it, but find the plot just to be overall just not memorable or nothing stood out for me there.

Nothing specific at all, just didn't have many stand out qualities for me, yes. I like some of the humor in it, but find the plot just to be overall just not memorable or nothing stood out for me there.
That's fair. I saw the plot as more of a vessel to explore how each character reacts to desperate situations, but if the characters didn't stand out I'd imagine it'd seem fairly mundane.

I tried rewriting "I saw the plot as more of a vessel to explore" like 70 times and couldn't come up with anything better. Oh well.

Not to gang up on the coen bros but Fargo I just didnt get at all, I mean i liked steve buscemi's character but i i always like buscemi!

I saw the interviews on the dvd i had and Frances McDormand was talking about how deep the character marge was, kinda playing it up . I always think the coen bros are just f'n with us just because they can.