Directorial Debuts

Tools    

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Mitsuo Yanagimachi
Where did you find/see this?

And this is my BOOMstick!
That guy that made DOTD remake and that dude that made Saw.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Not counting shorts as directorial debut...

Larry Clark - Kids (1995).
Lukas Moodysson - ****ing Åmål/Show Me Love (1998)
Sofia Coppola - The Virgin Suicides (1999)
Wes Anderson - Bottle Rocket (1996)
Richard Kelly - Donnie Darko (2001)
John Singleton - Boyz n the Hood (1991)
Harmony Korine - Gummo (1997)
Nicolas Winding Refn - Pusher (1996)
Jan Troell - Här har du ditt liv/Here's Your Life (1966)
Michael Moore - Roger & Me (1989)
John Cassavetes - Shadows (1959)
The Hughes Brothers - Menace II Society (1993)

...along with some of those allready mentioned and many more.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Skiny White Film Fan
Reservior Dogs is great. 2nd best Tarintino film.

Viddy well little brother
I think David Lynch's Eraserhead was an outstanding debut from Lynch. That kid looked quite alive. Its quite freaky.

^^^^ Lynch is the BEST. Eraserhead rules. Lost Highway is better but I'm sure Lynch values Eraserhead more because 'twas his first and took so long to make and all.

Yup, Eraserhead was awesome. It's my favorite Lynch film (never seen Mulholland Drive though).

Oh man you're missing out. Mulholland drive is one of his best. A friend of mine said he found it terrifying, but thats cause he's a big girl. But it really is excellent and many critics consider it to be his best. Not me though. Fire Walk with me is my personal Favourite

A system of cells interlinked
Mulholland Drive is in my top 3 favorite films of all time, along with Blade Runner and Chinatown.

Forget it Marge its Chinatown!!-Homer S.

I just saw Burr Steer's Igby Goes Down and I was amazed at how good it was. Easily one of the top ten best directorial debuts IMHO.

Another great first effort no one has mentioned yet is Gary Ross' Pleasantville. Fantastic social commentary.

Best:

Troy Duffy - The Boondock Saints

Richard Kelly - Donnie Darko

Sam Mendes - American Beauty

Ed Burns - The Brothers McMullen

Robert Rodriguez - El Mariachi (It's amazing for a movie made for $7,000)

Kevin Smith - Clerks

Quentin Tarantino - Reservoir Dogs

Zach Braff - Garden State

Terrence Malick - Badlands (he made a short film before this called Lanton Mills, but Badlands was his first feature)

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Frank Darabont for Shawshank;
Chris Nolan for Memento;
Bryan Singer for The Usual Suspects;
Was impressed with Zach Braff's first effort Garden State, too many one-hit wonders for worst director.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Ezikiel
François Truffaut
The 400 Blows

Agreed.

Two I haven't seen mentioned that I admire:
Steven Soderberg - Sex, Lies and Videotape
Sophia Coppola - The Virgin Suicides

****in' A, man. I got a rash, man
Some debuts that might not have been mentioned

Richard Kelly - Donnie Darko
Darren Aronofsky - Pi
Sam Mendes - American Beauty
Coen brothers - Blood Simple
Harold Ramis - Caddyshack
Tony Kaye - American History X
Rob Marshall - Chicago
"You smell that? Do you smell that?... Napalm, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for twelve hours. When it was all over I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like... victory. Someday this war's gonna end..."

Sir Sean Connery's love-child
Forgot to mention " The Brave " by Johnny Depp, I've done a review of it under Movie Reviews, but nobody's looked at it or replied. Sometimes I just don't feel loved enough by this forum!!!!

Won't elaborate too much, but for a first time director, I thought this was an excellent effort. Please somebody read my review, I'm lonely and vunerable!!!

Toga, toga, toga......

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbour?

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Darth Stujitzu
Sometimes I just don't feel loved enough by this forum!!!!
I know how you feel man. Now C'mon. Gimme a hug.