New format

Tools    

So... what do you guys plan to do with your DVD's when a new format comes around and knocks them off the market?

Bad Morther****er
I don't even want to think about it. I've dumped so much money into my collection. I think I'll cry.

There is a new format in the works already, that uses a different color laser to read some new type of disc. Hopfully they will work out a way that I can keep my old discs and just need to buy the upgrade discs on movies I don't yet have.
Justice will be served/ And the battle will rage/ This big dog will fight/ When you rattle his cage/ And you’ll be sorry that you messed with the U.S. of A./ Cause we`ll put a boot in your ass/ It`s the American way.
Courtesy Of The Red, White & Blue - Toby Keith

i dont speed much money on dvds anymore. i'll just be upset cause of my expensive dvd players i got. They will all go to waste when theres a new format. Well not to waste i'll probably use them but not as much as i will use the new format.

A system of cells interlinked
I will still be able to watch my DVDs, and the quality is top notch, so I guess it just won't matter.....

If there is a new format---what I have now will just get moved to the basment like my pre-digital output TV and DVD player and my VCR. The good stuff is upstairs.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
I still use VHS half the time.... BAhahahahahahahaha... \m/DVD\m/ My dad has an old laser disc collection.

In Tyler We Trust
i still use VHS when i borrow from the library cause it saves money renting

Originally Posted by Yoda
I think backwards compatibility will be standard for most new media formats in the future.
I certainly hope so.

I ate all your bees.
I have all the DVD's I really want at the moment. The thing is that the jump from VHS to DVD was huge, the picture quality, the sound, the options etc tec. I will be at a loss as to what a next media will provide other than better video and sound which I really won't be able to use because of my TV or will barely notice because DVD's are already pretty good.

Whatever format is out now (DVD) is what I am going to own. I am not to waste my money to update and update and update............. everytime something new arrives. I'm happy with DVD and I am not going to worry about new mwdia that won't effect DVDs at all anyways.

Originally Posted by jrs
Whatever format is out now (DVD) is what I am going to own. I am not to waste my money to update and update and update............. everytime something new arrives. I'm happy with DVD and I am not going to worry about new mwdia that won't effect DVDs at all anyways.
I agree totally. Is an upgrade needed really?
And found he was eating his shoe.

Originally Posted by led_zeppelin
I agree totally. Is an upgrade needed really?
I don't think they care whether or not it's needed (I don't think it is) because they're already in the process of making one. Like yoda said though, even if there is a new one there will probably (and should be) backwards compatibility (Just like a PS2 plays PS1 games).

I've heard things about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray... Anyone know anything about these?

Originally Posted by jrs
Now here is a man with the right plan, just because something new comes out on the market doesn’t mean anything. The DVD business is huge and of course there is going to be something bigger and better but that is how technology is at this moment, it is always expanding.

Personally, in the future I see where our movies will be downloaded to a memory stick the kind you can carry on a key chain and all you will have to do is go home slip it into this high tech gadget and it will automatically download your movie into a personal library which will be able to hold thousands of movies. I see this happening well before DVD’s die out.

Originally Posted by Zeiken
In Soviet Russia, DVD watches YOU!

Now that wouldn’t surprise me for one moment!

Originally Posted by Garrett
I've heard things about HD-DVD and Blu-Ray... Anyone know anything about these?
Originally Posted by The Honolulu Advertiser

Four Hollywood studios recently embraced a new high-definition DVD format from electronics giant Toshiba — raising many questions for video lovers who have driven sales of prerecorded DVDs to new heights.

Consumers snapped up $16.3 billion worth of DVDs in 2003, far more than the $9.5 billion spent on movie tickets.

Does the 2005 release of HD DVD mean the current DVD format is about to die? Here are some answers to common questions about the impact of the new format.

Q: If DVDs are so popular, why introduce a new format?

A: DVD players are now in 70 percent of homes, according to the Consumer Electronics Association. Prices — $500 a few years ago — have fallen below $100. They can be found in some stores for less than $45. Retailers need new, high-margin products to bring customers in.

"Prices have fallen so low, retailers haven't made a profit on DVD players for several years," says Scott Hettrick, editor in chief of trade magazine DVD Exclusive.

Q: What's the consumer benefit of the new format?

A: Greatly improved video and sound.

"Our sales of digital televisions are going through the roof, even though there's little video available to show it off," says Tom Campbell of Ken Crane's Home Entertainment, a Los Angeles-based retail chain. "This really shows off the potential of high-definition TV."

Says Frank Roshinski, a merchandising manager for the Canton, Mass.-based Tweeter chain: "The new DVDs will help sell hi-def TVs, and vice-versa."

Q: Who's behind the new DVD standard?

A: Toshiba is pushing HD DVD. It has the support of NBC Universal, Warner Bros. Pictures, New Line Cinema and Paramount Pictures.

Sony has developed the competing Blu-ray DVD, but hasn't signed up any studios beyond its own. Sony has support from consumer electronics firms such as Dell, Hewlett-Packard and Panasonic.

Q: How much better is the new DVD format?

A: Five times. As in five times the resolution of regular DVDs, says independent analyst Richard Doherty of The Envisioneering Group.

"The quality is as good as a movie, but your feet won't stick to the floor, and the popcorn will be better," he says.

Q: Will my old DVD discs play on the new machines?

A: Both HD DVD and Blu-ray are "backward compatible," meaning old discs will play on new machines.

Q: When will old DVD discs disappear from video store shelves?

A: "Not for quite some time," says Ross Rubin at market-tracking firm The NPD Group. "Not until the next decade, at least."

VHS tapes are still alive after being supplanted by DVDs. Universal Studios Home Video President Craig Kornblau says he still releases movies on tape — but just 10 percent of his shipments.

"It's a DVD world," he says.

Q: Why make the new format announcement now?

A: Companies are gearing up for the Consumer Electronics Show in January.
Source: The Honolulu Advertiser

Thanks for the information, jrs.